Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I still wonder how much did Disney/Lucasfilm anticipate the reaction to TLJ. Surely with some of the story decisions regarding Luke especially that they had to have known there was going to be some push back but then again they greenlit a Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy without him even pitching what the story was gonna be. 

I don’t think they expected it. For me I had zero problems with Luke’s arc and thought it made perfect sense. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

I don’t think they expected it. For me I had zero problems with Luke’s arc and thought it made perfect sense. 

I agree. I think Disney thought they had a great movie on their hands that will please the fans.

And i personally agree with them. TLJ is a great movie.

Lots of people had a different reaction though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked Luke's arc in the film it's just still too hard for me to connect the Luke from the end of ROTJ to where he is at the start of TLJ. But that disconnect and the fact I know this isn't George Lucas' story anymore allowed me to be more open to what Rian Johnson was doing with the character and I do like how Luke ends up embracing the "myth of Luke Skywalker" that is both in the story but also a direct meta reference to how the audience perceives the character from the OT. And man Mark Hamill is the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I am willing to bet that you will find more people than me that thought TLJ was an atrocious film. In matter of fact, a huge chunk of Star Wars fans and casual moviegoers thought it was really poor. 

TLJ had good photography and was visually good overall.

But yes, the story was atrocious, the characters were all underdevelopped and their evolution was plain stupid.

I have 100 of examples to back me up but I am fed up of talking TLJ.

If people liked it good for them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, aabattery said:

Someone tell me if there's anything back on the menu with that IW Sunday number. Seems crazy big if true.

The next milestone is $700m, is that back on the menu because of being underestimated by about a million on Sunday? Eh, no. 

14 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

It’s all speculation and there’s no definitive way to be sure but I think the muted response to Solo is due to 3 things in roughly equal measure. 

1.The idea it’s a film no one asked for. 

2.The troubled production with the change of directors. 

3.A reaction to the TLJ. 

Maybe it might have performed better with only one or two of these issues but clearly not all three. 

1. Who asked for Rogue One? Who asks for most movies being made in general? 

2. I think by this you mean that due to the troubles production, the film's quality suffered and as a result the BO is disastrous. Otherwise, the GA doesn't know or care about production problems and changes of directors.

3. Anyone with even minimal perception can see that this is the elephant in the room. The poor quality of TLJ has left a bitter taste with most fans. How bad was the Last Jedi? It was bad enough, so as to pave the way for the first BO failure (and a massive one at that) in 4 decades of Star Wars history. That is some kind of achievement on the part of The Last Jedi and those behind it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I am willing to bet that you will find more people than me that thought TLJ was an atrocious film. In matter of fact, a huge chunk of Star Wars fans and casual moviegoers thought it was really poor. 

So like EP1-3, and EP7 then. TLJ has structural and plot issues, no one is going to deny that, but its not so bad as to make it 'atrocious'.

The fanbase has over reacted to TLJ in such a huge way its affected the GA reaction as well. I dont get why TPM got given so much slack compared to TLJ, it is an objectively worse movie.

I suspect the Solo problem is the result of all the recent Disney movies, not just TLJ. Admitting they had no plan didnt exactly inspire confidence, the reaction to TFA has softened a great deal since release, people are coming round to the fact that it was a bad movie from a story point of view with a messy plot and too many loose ends. RO was fine, but a bit sterile and unnecessary.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Anyone with even minimal perception can see that this is the elephant in the room. The poor quality of TLJ has left a bitter taste with most fans. How bad was the Last Jedi? It was bad enough, so as to pave the way for the first BO failure (and a massive one at that) in 4 decades of Star Wars history. That is some kind of achievement on the part of The Last Jedi and those behind it. 

Nah. If IX bombs we'll know TLJ was responsible but the fact is that Solo never looked anything but disposable. Awful conceit, awful marketing.... awful box office.

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Nah. If IX bombs we'll know TLJ was responsible but the fact is that Solo never looked anything but disposable. Awful conceit, awful marketing.... awful box office.

So, you genuinely believe that Solo's BO implosion is 100% unrelated to the reception of TLJ, the Star Wars film immediately preceding it? 

I don't think TLJ will cause any financial problems for IX.  Revenge of the Sith survived Clones.  Rogue One did well.  the selling point has always been Vader IMO.  The prequels, TLJ and TFA all had an up-tempo to them with spectacle and epicness.  the prequels succeeded too with 3 year gaps*

Edited by Thematrixfilm

8 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

So, you genuinely believe that Solo's BO implosion is 100% unrelated to the reception of TLJ, the Star Wars film immediately preceding it? 

I think given the fact it's really obvious Solo is a frothy prequel that has nothing at all to do with the main storyline and is totally skippable... yeah, I think some peoples' hatred for TLJ is making them look a little too hard for a connection when the simple explanation is that Solo is just a non-event.

If IX makes even less than TLJ, then we'll talk. Could well happen.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Of course it's related but it isn't the primary cause. It's a bit like how Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman both had good Opening Weekends despite BvS's WoM because they weren't sequels. It's a bit different with Star Wars because it's harder to differentiate Solo from the main Star Wars films to the casual audience but to be certain of how badly has TLJ affected the Star Wars brand we need to wait until Episode IX's Opening Weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think given the fact it's really obvious Solo is a frothy prequel that has nothing at all to do with the main storyline and is totally skippable... yeah, I think some peoples' hatred for TLJ is making them look a little too hard for a connection when the simple explanation is that Solo is just a non-event.

If IX makes even less than TLJ, then we'll talk. Could well happen.

Solo has nothing to do with the main storyline, but *everything* to do with the current state of the Star Wars IP and how it is perceived by fans. The Last Jedi has broken the back of the most loyal fanbase in film history, a fanbase that has endured Jar-Jar, "sand getting everywhere" and "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" 

Truly remarkable. 

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure how something without fans can have a strong nostalgia at the same time like this, sound really counter intutive.

You can still like something and have a nostalgic connection to it without being a fan. Jurassic Park doesn’t have a fan base.  The movie is just to simple to warrant any interest for anyone to dwell deeper into the world. With franchises such as Harry Potter and Star Wars there is so much depth and lore that it will automatically make people want to explore and as a result become massive  fans.  You will never hear anyone say: “OMG this is NOT how the park in Jurassic Park was supposed to be!!!!! #boycottJW” 

Its simply isn’t a franchise with a fandom. 

Edited by GraceRandolph

38 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

1. Who asked for Rogue One? Who asks for most movies being made in general? 

2. I think by this you mean that due to the troubles production, the film's quality suffered and as a result the BO is disastrous. Otherwise, the GA doesn't know or care about production problems and changes of directors.

3. Anyone with even minimal perception can see that this is the elephant in the room. The poor quality of TLJ has left a bitter taste with most fans. How bad was the Last Jedi? It was bad enough, so as to pave the way for the first BO failure (and a massive one at that) in 4 decades of Star Wars history. That is some kind of achievement on the part of The Last Jedi and those behind it. 

1.No

2.No

3.No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2