Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s not telling people not to talk about it at all. Just to be careful about where they say what if they want to keep getting the early numbers related to the only reason that the community exists.

So a hardly used subreddit that is tucked away on a massive site is less safe than a website dedicated to only box office? On a thread that is going beyond 300 pages? Compared to a post that will get maybe 10-20 comments? I’m having trouble how one can argue this website is safer to discuss and keep things more under wraps. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Wait did you even read that article??? If so whats your point.

That not everyone seems to be eagerly awaiting a sequel, but is open to the possibility of it being good.

Edited by Thomas Beck

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about here, I bet this take does not actually appear in this thread and you are strawmanning someone.

I read that too, Premium George got that right

Btw, did happen repeatedly the last week too, a small group of members seem to be a bit... I have not a word for that (not an insult)

5 hours ago

As long as large chunks of the fanbase only accept XYZ as "true ," then every film will be greeted by calls that Disney and Lucasfilm "wrecked STAR WARS." And since the loudest/angriest voices get to the top of the Google search results, they will shape the narrative.

5 hours ago

There will be large chunks of fans who want "new, unique, different" and those fans who want nostalgia and a certain throwback. Even if Disney is giving us both, as long as each new SW film is viewed as "the new direction," one half of the fandom will always be pissed.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I get what Mendelson is saying but that's the price of having a franchise which such a long history and dedicated fans. They'll drive you to get $2 Billion but will also be super critical on everything you do. So that there's not much Disney/Lucasfilm can do about that. But I do think Disney/Lucasfilm should have had by now a Star Wars film released that didn't heavily rely on connections to the Original Trilogy. Solo is proof that a Star Wars film being being so tied to the Original Trilogy can actually be a hindrance especially in certain markets. 

8 hours ago, DMan7 said:

There's not a single Indian character in TLJ. Now that's discrimination. Why is no one talking about THAT?

Don't lol. Next thing we know we have a Dupinder or Apu doing some clichéd shenanigans as a great diversity story. Oh wait, it won't happen because India ain't a big market for SW.

• Thanks 1

Naive and/or dishonest people try to explain the recent travails of the Star Wars franchise in terms of "new/original" vs "old-school/nostalgia" 

No, the reason why The Last Jedi has left most Star Wars fans bitterly disappointed it's because it completely and utterly fails cinematically. Just because something is allegedly "new" or "subverts expectations" doesn't mean it's any good. The fact that so many people keep pretending that they are unaware of this is quite astonishing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

I wish I was but that is a actual quote. If I have mood in near future I will try to find it in this long thread. It was fantastic beasts comment. Still wanna bet?

Here I am George. No need to spend your time looking. There is an "@" feature too, next time you talk about me so I can defend myself.

I said that in a future society, where discrimination is not such a big issue, the goal should be that whenever a gay protagonist is revealed there should be no buzz about it, positive or negative. Isn't that the exactly what equality means? You cannot react differently for a character you don't know based only the fact that he/she belongs in a group because that's what discrimination is.

I have been an immigrant for a part of my life and so I have myself received discrimination when I moved. After some time though, I realised that I was the very first one that was helping for the continuation of that narrative. If you expect others to not call you the "Italian kid", you should be the first one that doesn't see yourself as "The Italian kid".

The others see in you what you think about yourself. And that's what I believe: many kids that belong to minority groups are the very first ones that discriminate themselves from a point on. You start being the first to point out your differences even when the others have accepted you. It's a "victim syndrome" that is very difficult to overcome. 

I have been a very liberal person throughout my life and have a very diverse groups of friends. I am just trying to figure out and keep in mind I haven't achieved that yet, what the modern left is doing wrong. I think that there is truth between the people that are angry about political correctness. Sure there are many that just have been raised in a way that there is no turning back but If we dismiss any type of criticism every time as racist,sexist,homophbe blah blah blah, we won't quite get to the goal. 

I myself, have a smile in my face everytime I hear about a project that will make kids that struggle feel a bit better for themselves. But then I ask myself: am I helping this way? Are all of us that actively do so help? And the answer I get is not very clear.

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Nah, you sounds pretty confident, so I’ll take your word for it. Guess I had too much faith in humanity :( 

I am quoting you too so you can see my narrative.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Naive and/or dishonest people try to explain the recent travails of the Star Wars franchise in terms of "new/original" vs "old-school/nostalgia" 

No, the reason why The Last Jedi has left most Star Wars fans bitterly disappointed it's because it completely and utterly fails cinematically. Just because something is allegedly "new" or "subverts expectations" doesn't mean it's any good. The fact that so many people keep pretending that they are unaware of this is quite astonishing. 

what do you mean by "cinematically"? I think you mean you personally didn't like it. Not that it's not a cinematic film... because by any objective measure it has character development, and adds new stuff to this world, it has a visual design that's just on another level... how is it not cinematic?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Or to use a recent release as a counterpoint: IW tried to subvert the MCU formula (especially in the 3rd act) and that didn’t seem to split that fanbase at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RRA said:

Or to use a recent release as a counterpoint: IW tried to subvert the MCU formula (especially in the 3rd act) and that didn’t seem to split that fanbase at all.

apart from the fact it's split into two films and we haven't seen the second part yet, it seems like IW is pretty much the same as all the others.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

what do you mean by "cinematically"? I think you mean you personally didn't like it. Not that it's not a cinematic film... because by any objective measure it has character development, and adds new stuff to this world, it has a visual design that's just on another level... how is it not cinematic?

I am willing to bet that you will find more people than me that thought TLJ was an atrocious film. In matter of fact, a huge chunk of Star Wars fans and casual moviegoers thought it was really poor. 

I still wonder how much did Disney/Lucasfilm anticipate the reaction to TLJ. Surely with some of the story decisions regarding Luke especially that they had to have known there was going to be some push back but then again they greenlit a Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy without him even pitching what the story was gonna be. 

• Like 1

It’s all speculation and there’s no definitive way to be sure but I think the muted response to Solo is due to 3 things in roughly equal measure. 

1.The idea it’s a film no one asked for. 

2.The troubled production with the change of directors. 

3.A reaction to the TLJ. 

Maybe it might have performed better with only one or two of these issues but clearly not all three. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I still wonder how much did Disney/Lucasfilm anticipate the reaction to TLJ. Surely with some of the story decisions regarding Luke especially that they had to have known there was going to be some push back but then again they greenlit a Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy without him even pitching what the story was gonna be. 

1,000 posts. Congrats.

• Like 1