Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Claiming that Solo pre-sales were beating BP pre-sales despite many shows not even close to being sold out (as many of our posters proved with screen caps and reports) 

Not the first time a read this, is it true, I just remember some irrelevant claim about Solo first days of pre-sales beating black panther first days pre-sales, never that it was selling better in general.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It's a ridiculous situation all the way around. The loudest TLJ detractors join the youtube bois in screaming about absolutely embarrassing nonsense like identity politics and feminism ruining Star Wars. But the majority of ppl who have issues with TLJ complain about much more reasonable things like Luke or odd subplots. Meanwhile the loudest TLJ fans scream about the loudest detractors and pretend everyone else loves it. While the majority of ppl who like TLJ are just like "yea it's good, it works for me, I understand some ppl don't like it but ok"

So the entire conversation is SO LOUD and almost every reasonable take is drowned out by garbage

yes, an accurate summary of this messy situation.

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol at people saying TLJ had nothing to do with it. The signs were already there with TLJ dropping 700m from its predecessor worldwide (imagine if Age of Ultron had dropped that much or if this summer Jurassic World sequel did, you would never hear the end of it) and having poor legs for a pre Christmas weekend release (if it had been a summer release it likely would have been a Spider-Man 3 type legs situation). TLJ definitely had an effect. If it had been overwhelmingly well received  the afterglow would have spread over to Solo and help it do better, which is probably what Disney was expecting in the beginning 

Truth be told we never heard the end of it about AOU and that finally ended when infinity war launched. Up until then the 100 million difference worldwide between the first avengers and AOU was the talk of the town in this forum whenever someone suggested that IW will do great (throw in a bit of civil war in there as an “avengers film”).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Just remembered that Desdline projected 340m worldwide opening and its coming it at about 160m or so. Lmao 

340M WW total :Venom:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not the first time a read this, is it true, I just remember some irrelevant claim about Solo first days of pre-sales beating black panther first days pre-sales, never that it was selling better in general.

And BP tickets went on sale further away from the opening date than Solo's did.  More than 2 weeks further away from it as I remember.  Solo outselling it in the first 24 hours isn't outlandish, even with the poor performance opening weekend.

I'm not gonna say TLJ had no effect - probably did- but when Jurassic World 2 drops 500m worldwide this summer I hope those same people say that JW is divisive. Sometimes it is just hard to recapture the lightning in the bottle of a once in a lifetime perfect storm megahit like TFA or Jurassic World. Isn't necessarily a reflection of quality.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Just remembered that Desdline projected 340m worldwide opening and its coming it at about 160m or so. Lmao 

Funnier thing is the projected 65M OS opening could be too high. So far, UK, China, and Russia numbers are overestimated. 

Super rare for OS actuals to not increase from estimates, let alone decrease lol.

(Germany estimates trended up though, so if some other markets can do the same, maybe actuals won’t go down that much)

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

So IW gets to 683 with GotG2’s 5th weekend multi. Gonna be so frustrating that it’s probably gonna get so close yet so far from BP.

i preferred infinity war to black panther, but idk, it's kinda fun that black panther gets to be #1 of the year! i'm into it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not gonna say TLJ had no effect - probably did- but when Jurassic World 2 drops 500m worldwide this summer I hope those same people say that JW is divisive. Sometimes it is just hard to recapture the lightning in the bottle of a once in a lifetime perfect storm megahit like TFA or Jurassic World. Isn't necessarily a reflection of quality.

But JW wont drop 500M. It will cross 1,3B easily :) And it will get great WOM :)

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Alt-right cant be blamed for anything - even in the USA. If that were so powerful black panther would have been a huge BOMB. Its a shitty excuse to cover up the fact that a movie is bad and no one cares to watch it.  Star wars just isnt a powerful brand anymore. Thats the only truth. 

Not sure how scientific that reasoning is, Black panther fanbase and potential audience were not really either member of the alt-right, sympatisan of some of the views or influencable by them too. The old white male Star Wars fandom is possibly a different story.

For example one could not use but it didn't affect NBA viewership has a scientific base to say something cannot have affected college football:

paineentenajr-nflpol-2.png

I would more point out that Solo do seem to be the most alt-right compatible aligned output of the series so far (or at least from is caricature that I make of it), cis-white male lead, no attack on capitalism much or other trigger like that.

Awaken was the most diverse of the bunch arguably and the most successful, there is much stronger force in play than the poisoning of the well by Internet youtuber I would imagine, those maybe gain root among young people and so on, but that core old giant fanbase from the OT, I would not imagine.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

Star Wars is not a walk-up type franchise so who gave a flying crap that it sold more tickets than Black Panther in 24 hours. Why on earth was that EVER reported I don't understand. And why not follow up that report? Also even Disney internally seemed to be thinking 130mil at worst and studios always low ball so that number is really 150-170mil. How did Disney not see this coming? 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Seeing as how TLJ dropped from TFA, it makes me appreciate AOU's drop from TA even more. It actually increased OS and dropped less than 10% WW. Let's see if TFK can replicate it. I sure hope so, loved the 1st one.

Edited by oMeriMombatti

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i preferred infinity war to black panther, but idk, it's kinda fun that black panther gets to be #1 of the year! i'm into it.

I just think it’s bizzare to have a movie that made $2b+ and is one of the most successful films ever not be #1 DOM for the year. It’s like if Avatar, Titanic, or TFA had come in #2 DOM their year. Doesn’t feel right.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

From a certain ('murican) point of view, yes.