Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Domestically it flew past its budget in a few days, it is doing very well overseas (beating Solo this week in most countries...). It is already a huge success for FOX, the only danger for eventual sequels is the Mouse.

So what is there to worry about now, that it will decrease from Deadpool? It was always likely, D1 was a low-budget box office phenomenon, D2 can decrease and should still be considered a huge hit.

(And most importantly for us, it is a great movie)

I want it to cross $300M domestic though 

I am not concerned about its OS numbers cause those are great 

• Haha 1

33m is fucking abysmal. Needed at least 35 for a decent shot at 80 with the pattern of every recent big MD opener. 

You know the car crash you can't look away from? Solo is the car crash that happened on a railroad crossing while the train is inbound full steam ahead. 

30 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Oh, and how is the score? I might listen to that out of context since I'm a big John Powell fan

It's great. Think of it as classic Powell mixed with Star Wars, including a new swashbuckling theme for Han by Williams. Some bits even remind of the more mature writing of HTTYD2. The track Reminiscene Therapy is a particular standout. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

UPDATE, 10:47AM: Industry estimates this morning are pegging around $33M today for Disney Solo: A Star Wars Story with a $80M-$90M three-day and $105M-$115M play over four days. That’s a very early read on opening figures, which do not come from Disney. We could see a different picture by tonight.

It’s a bittersweet result: On the plus side, it’s a bit of an uptick for a Memorial Day event film at the B.O. after the holiday has been in the doldrums for quite some time (the last big debut for the holiday was X-Men: Days of Future Past four years ago with $110M), but on the down side it’s the lowest opening for a Disney Star Wars pic out of four — and it’s lower than the last 20th Century Fox release, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith ($108.4M 3-day, $158.4M Thursday-Sunday take). On a three day basis, Solo is 45% lower than what Disney/Lucasfilm’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story cleared with a $155M opening, $71M on its opening day.

As a reference, Warner Bros.’ Justice League made $38.4M on its first day, $93.8M over three, and while it wasn’t a four-day opening, it grossed $101.3M from Friday-Monday.

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2 is certainly chipping away at Solo with a $12.5M Friday, $40M-$45M 3-day and $52M-$57M 4-day. On the high end that’s at $221.7M.

Disney’s own Avengers: Infinity War is looking at a $19M-$21M four-day, while Paramount’s Book Club is projected with a $10M-$12M 4-day.

That Deadpool 2 drop is 65% on the low end and could go to 70%. Yet people called me crazy in the Thursday thread when I said it would drop that badly. 

RIP 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

Fired from a movie that's going to be a high profile underperformer is the kind of justice that doesn't exactly help your career.

i can go along with the blankments sort of narrative that lord and miller were fired because LucasFilm wanted to make the movie worse and their version would totally be a record breaker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

UPDATE, 10:47AM: Industry estimates this morning are pegging around $33M today for Disney Solo: A Star Wars Story with a $80M-$90M three-day and $105M-$115M play over four days. That’s a very early read on opening figures, which do not come from Disney. We could see a different picture by tonight.

It’s a bittersweet result: On the plus side, it’s a bit of an uptick for a Memorial Day event film at the B.O. after the holiday has been in the doldrums for quite some time (the last big debut for the holiday was X-Men: Days of Future Past four years ago with $110M), but on the down side it’s the lowest opening for a Disney Star Wars pic out of four — and it’s lower than the last 20th Century Fox release, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith ($108.4M 3-day, $158.4M Thursday-Sunday take). On a three day basis, Solo is 45% lower than what Disney/Lucasfilm’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story cleared with a $155M opening, $71M on its opening day.

As a reference, Warner Bros.’ Justice League made $38.4M on its first day, $93.8M over three, and while it wasn’t a four-day opening, it grossed $101.3M from Friday-Monday.

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2 is certainly chipping away at Solo with a $12.5M Friday, $40M-$45M 3-day and $52M-$57M 4-day. On the high end that’s at $221.7M.

Disney’s own Avengers: Infinity War is looking at a $19M-$21M four-day, while Paramount’s Book Club is projected with a $10M-$12M 4-day.

that would be a fucking horrendous hold for Deadpool if that happens

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Runtimes without credits and trailer attachments for next week:

Upgrade: 1:34. Attachments are Unfriended and The First Purge.

Adrift: 1:31. Attachments are Mile 22 and Peppermint.

Action Point: 1:16. Attachment is Mission Imoossible.

Lmfao, Action Point is only 76 minutes??? :hahaha: 

Wow thats not worth paying 15 bucks to see if you dont have moviepass. Thats almost as long as a fucking stranger things episode.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

why are you so damn negative on deadpool :lol: I thought you loved that movie

I did LOVE the movie. Which is why its box run has been upsetting/disappointing to me. Thats a 65-70% drop which is an Alien Covenant type drop. Thats how bad that weekend hold is. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

That Deadpool 2 drop is 65% on the high end. Yet people called me crazy in the Thursday thread when I said it would drop that badly. 

RIP 

Bummer for Deadpool. But hey, it's still very profitable. And who'd have thought a month ago it would make more than Solo?

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Ok... I can't... ok.  Ok!  The fact that its even mentioned that we could be looking at a 3 day 80m result is staggering.  This is SW over memorial day weekend.  Parents take kids out to see family friendly movies cause they need activities to do.  My most negative prediction never would've been 80m for 3 days OW, regardless of what I personally may think of the movie.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It lost IMAX and PLF. I think that drop is somewhat expected.

A 65-70% drop is expected? Its not like it was setting the world on fire with IMAX and PLF either 

Just now, Jay Beezy said:

Bummer for Deadpool. But hey, it's still very profitable. And who'd have thought a month ago it would make more than Solo?

Making more than Solo isn't exactly all that difficult though....

• Haha 1