Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Space franchises just don't translate well overseas, I guess. Even the newer Star Trek films were flops in several markets.

well tfa did do 1.1b+ os with barely much from china.

ro's dom and os drops from tfa were similar.

ditto with tlj (-37% os from tfa's ow; -33% dom from tfa's dom)

also we know that f&f in space will do gangbusters!

11 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Honestly, I don't think Rogue One's concept is on paper particularly better than Solo's ("how the Death Star plans were stolen!", "How Solo got the Falcon!"), and that one turned out particularly well BO-wise. So poor choice of concept doesn't really explain Solo's failure to me. 

Something that I don't see people mentioning often is the fact that it was released so soon after TLJ. To me that was a mistake. The film had problems to create its own hype (RO actually needed quite a few trailers and time until it began catching fire), and people's SW appetite was sated (TLJ's reception also didn't help). IIRC only Marvel has been able to pull off releasing same-universe movies so close to each other and still have them all do well. 

Personally I think that Disney overplayed their hand. I guess they wanted to see if this could be their second MCU. It needs to be back to one movie every 1-2 years.

Solo recast main characters. That's a turn-off. RO didn't recast anyone. It had a new set of bland characters but as long as the movie doesn't shit on old favorites audience is receptive. One of reasons for TLJ discord is what was done to Luke. I think that LF underestimated the level of Ford/Han identification (this isn't Batman or Bond that could be played by various actors). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree. I meant that ironically. But personally I'd support that decision, even if it meant pushing Spider-Man to 2020 and reshuffling a ton of shit around. I'd like to see an Avengers movie perform in the Holidays, especially since I don't think Ep. IX will increase from TLJ by much or at all anyway.

Han Solo was 2nd here yesterday, behind Deadpool 2. Yesterday was his OD here.

• Haha 1

Well hey, the preview # actually isn't quite as awful as data was indicating it could be. Of course if it performs like any other SW film on OD with that preview, it's only getting like 80m tops this weekend, so walk ups better be huge today. 

6 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Edwards Ontario Palace)

12:45 PM IMAX 3D 44/532

4:00 PM IMAX 2D 42/532

7:15 PM IMAX 3D 89/532

10:30 PM IMAX 2D 26/532

10:30 AM RPX 17/736

1:45 PM RPX 11/736

5:00 PM RPX 3D 14/736

8:15 PM RPX 13/736

11:30 PM RPX 0/736

I swear, I have no idea why Regal even has RPX screens. They sell like shit, there's no major difference between them and normal screens even at the Spectrum and I don't think I have ever heard anyone praise the screens unlike AMC Dolby.

1 hour ago, Rebelscum said:

Just hail corporate things. Where were all these "concerned fans" when the Internet and RLM bullied George Lucas into selling his creation? Oh yeah they were the people doing it, but it wasn't toxic then.

hahaha i love this idea that Red Letter Media is the reason for the disney star wars movies. is this a common conception among fanboy crazies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

hahaha i love this idea that Red Letter Media is the reason for the disney star wars movies. is this a common conception among fanboy crazies?

Mr. Plinkett is the most powerful man in the world.

Just now, Nova said:

People here arguing about TLJ and Han Solo but I am over here just worrying about Deadpool 2's drop :sadno: I cant believe it lost all its premium screens to a potential flop :rant:

Maybe it will get some back next weekend:)...I can't imagine Solo keeping them all after this weekend...I see splits coming...

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is how BOT and Star Wars end. With an Han Solo movie, of all things.

Star Wars ended on June 20, 2017. Sure, Rian Johnson revived it briefly last December with a damn great movie, but he can't undo that death blow

• Haha 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe it will get some back next weekend:)...I can't imagine Solo keeping them all after this weekend...I see splits coming...

Solo will probably keep them next week since it's gonna be posting bigger numbers than Deadpool this week and then Ocean's 8 will take over them the following.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It better. Its Thursday drop was monstrous because of Solo and Solo is over here flopping like a fish :rant:

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Even worse for you is that it's a solid movie

Solid is not good enough

I'm not seeing it because I'm well aware that even if it is 

good, I won't be able to enjoy it on any level