WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

3 hours ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Great article @baumer. James Belushi and John Ritter meeting is my favorite :)

That was such a blast.  Working at the Hard Rock Skydome, lots of celebs came in.  Those two just strolled in one night, unannounced and sat at the bar like they were two normal patrons ordering beers.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nevermore said:

Lol at this article

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-how-far-will-solo-drop-post-memorial-day-weekend-1116008

Box-office observers expect Solo to gross north of $60 million for the weeked, while the Deadpool sequel is tipped to earn another $20 million-plus.

Please someone work numbers to see how exactly that would be possible :hahaha:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Nope, let the flop flop. Nothing can save Solo so let it at least make a history as a mega flop. Give it something memorable cause story clearly isn't that.

Solo is already a huge underperformer and Disney has already learned from it. No need to rub salt into the wound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Why would the performance of a single animated film opening in mid June be that important for July's chances of reaching 1B?

In fact I am expecting strong grosses in July for Ant Man (over 200M+), Skyscrapper (over 100M), Hotel Transilvania (around 100M), notable legs for JW2 (100M+), and some mid hits like Purge, Mamma Mia and Equalizer (all three with granted 50M+ each through the month). And a sure to be huge opening for MI6. 2014 was just dreadful, with only two movies grossing more than 100M and without any single 200M grosser. Even 2017, with disappointing openings for many movies, managed to reach 1.2B

The two biggest Mission Impossible opeinings are MI5 and MI2 with $55m and $57m. Why would the 6th one suddenly open massive?

12 minutes ago, InterHero1 said:

The two biggest Mission Impossible opeinings are MI5 and MI2 with $55m and $57m. Why would the 6th one suddenly open massive?

"Massive" is not the word I should have used. But I expect 55M+ for MI6, which is already a solid opening that will be really helpful gross for July.

42 minutes ago, Kraken said:

I'm pretty sure we'd find new ways to be shitty

Well, I imagine so... thousands of people kill each other all over the world because they disagree on who created them/Earth. So it's kinda hard to say that humans wouldn't figure another path for self-destruction.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/31/box-office-jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-on-track-for-140m-debut/#1d2010fc5147

Forbes predicting 140M OW for JW:TFK

I am watching it on 7th June, loved the 1st one. Hopefully this one will bring the house down once again.

I hope is far better than first film. 

21 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Please someone work numbers to see how exactly that would be possible :hahaha:

I don't even know what boxoffice observers THR is quoting. Scott? Certainly no one from this forum. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bladels said:

This is too hilarious, from South Korea thread:

Solo has made a whopping $1.416M in SK :hahaha:

For comparison IW: $91.7M

I feel like we need a little perspective here.Solo is obviously bombing OS but even Rogue One made 7.5M there and TLJ 8M. TFA made 24M but that was a global phenomenon and yet it's business is going to be 1/4 of AIW. S.K (actually Asia) is just not the market for SW.

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Lucasfilm needs to get some focus groups into South Korea, India and China otherwise the downward trend is just going to continue. 

Take out the Star Wars lens and these are just a better made Valerian or Jupiter Ascending. Plus you have a big barrier of entry with lore. Also what makes the force/Jedi endearing is the mix of eastern spirituality with sci fi(I think) which just looks like an ignoramus's interpretation of Asian mystic lore.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, baumer said:

If that was partially directed at me, then I apologize for using DOFP.  You are right, there are better ways to express myself.  I too get frustrated with all the acronyms at times.

No need to apologize.  It certainly wasn't directed at you or acronyms in general.  Just the three lettered one that sadly isn't talking about Tommy Lee Jones.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Even if they were going by the 4 day of 103, they still couldn't get to 60 million.

My guess is someone wrote down 60 for the anticipated 60% drop and someone else read it as $60m for the w/e

Proofreaders are an endangered species.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No need to apologize.  It certainly wasn't directed at you or acronyms in general.  Just the three lettered one that sadly isn't talking about Tommy Lee Jones.

Even Tommy is discussed for more than 2 pages, there would be some wonderful takes about him too by bot.

• Like 2