Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

59 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If Ocean's 8 gets within a couple million of 50, I'd be willing to call it a breakout. I was more along the lines of Han's thoughts, that this might do low or mid 30's. I didn't feel the hype and while pre sales were alright, they weren't anything crazy. The fact that this could reach/surpass Ghostbusters opening is actually really nice.

Also, is anyone else curious to how big Action Point is going to drop this weekend:Venom:

I imagine WB is thrilled that they've successfully reinvigorated the Ocean's franchise. I think they need to up their game for a potential sequel and I imagine that'll involve getting a new director and writer. 

26 minutes ago, REC said:

I know a bunch of you guys are pulling for O8.  Doesn't seem like its got all that great of reviews though, seems pretty mediocre overall.  Top critics say 59%, an average rating of 6.1/10, or 6.3/10 among all critics.  Metacritic reviewers say 60/100.  Not even going to talk about the audience scores as I know they are controversial to many.

I haven't seen the movie so I can't say either way.  I just would've preferred to see this movie with much higher critic scores, rather than 6.x/10 maybe 8-9/10.  Tighten up that script, make it really clever top to bottom.  Ghostbusters 2016 failed because it was schlocky and dumb (I like most all the actors in that movie too), and I'd like to see the actresses in these reboots get served by better scripts.  Clearly they're great and they deserve better than a 6/10 movie.

To be fair, the movie could have been a lot worse. The trailer made it seem like it could go one of two ways; clever, or contrived. While it probably isn't perfect, from what I'm reading the movie is a least a pretty fun time. 

Also, who says it's a 6/10? Critics don't mean nothing to your personal opinion, so the only way you can judge the movie is by seeing it for yourself :P

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I got really excited when I saw the prices because they were cheaper than what I've seen so far today 

:sparta:

Maybe I'll book it there and trick her. Great way to start off a marriage don't ya think? With lies and deception :ph34r:

But thanks for that list! I'm gonna take a look at it later tonight when we get to the hotel. Gonna make it seem like I came prepared and all for this 😎

The site has a sorting function for prices and you can also expand it to places on the Hudson & Long Island etc so maybe you can find something similar without subterfuge. :lol:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine WB is thrilled that they've successfully reinvigorated the Ocean's franchise. I think they need to up their game for a potential sequel and I imagine that'll involve getting a new director and writer. 

True. I don't think WB ever thought this would amount to anything other than a mid-range franchise however, so if this does make 150 domestic and a little more than that overseas I'm sure they would be more than pleased. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

True. I don't think WB ever thought this would amount to anything other than a mid-range franchise however, so if this does make 150 domestic and a little more than that overseas I'm sure they would be more than pleased. 

Only Ocean's Eleven managed to do over $400m WW and that had a December release, the other two films did $362m and $311m WW so $300-350m WW should be attainable for O8. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, who says it's a 6/10? Critics don't mean nothing to your personal opinion, so the only way you can judge the movie is by seeing it for yourself :P

Well, critics say its about 60%.  That's all I was trying to say was that this isn't exactly a positive thing for the movie.  Despite all the problems with RT, metacritic, and critic consensus generally, I still use it as one way to filter the worth vs not-worth seeing.

Eventually I'm sure I'll see it since I've seen all the other Ocean movies.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Only Ocean's Eleven managed to do over $400m WW and that had a December release, the other two films did $362m and $311m WW so $300-350m WW should be attainable for O8. 

The movies were years ago (Oceans 11 was gasp 17 years ago) - completely different O/S market now as well as just a wee bit of ticket inflation

• Like 4

Have we not got preview numbers yet? I thought we would by now.

Also very much loving the new rules, should keep this thread much more manageable to follow. One thing though, what is the "flood control" mentioned at the end? 🤔

Just now, feasby007 said:

Have we not got preview numbers yet? I thought we would by now.

Also very much loving the new rules, should keep this thread much more manageable to follow. One thing though, what is the "flood control" mentioned at the end? 🤔

They've been in for a couple of hours:

Ocean's 8: 4M

Hereditary: 1.3M

Hotel Artemis: 271k

The flood control is the 90 second cool down time everyone has between posts. It's incredibly annoying, but this is what happens when certain users lash out at others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Noticed last week that 2018 was ahead of previous few years in terms of ticket sales (domestically). Hopefully it can keep that up, since a growing box office is a healthy one. 

Doesnt seem genuine when trades talk about “box office being up x% from last year” when that growth is pretty much due to ticket inflation

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The movies were years ago (Oceans 11 was gasp 17 years ago) - completely different O/S market now as well as just a wee bit of ticket inflation

For that type of movie without a China release and not featuring a prime Brad Pitt, I could see this one play more domestic heavy (at least relative for the era, maybe even in absolute)

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They've been in for a couple of hours:

Ocean's 8: 4M

Hereditary: 1.3M

Hotel Artemis: 271k

The flood control is the 90 second cool down time everyone has between posts. It's incredibly annoying, but this is what happens when certain users lash out at others.

Ah okay, thanks. I don't post that quickly to notice the issue.

4M is a great number for O8, and 1.3M should be good enough for Hereditary, depends how front loaded it is. 

All I can do is lol at Hotel Artemis

• Like 3

Sandy Bullock be like 

tenor.gif?itemid=6007888

Anyway,i think this previews number is great as i don't think a reinonvated Oceans franchise will have a rush factor.Plus it will skew females and older groups and both tend to show up a bit later.IMO,the internal multy will be very good and i would not count out a mid-50s weekend.

And this is the perfect movie to go along the world cup as  women won't spend the WC nights watching soccer with their boyfriends (i know mine won't) and there is not a better movie out there for a girl gang to enjoy at a movie night out.So i think the multy will also be very good.150+M is not impossible.Eapecially if it follows the franchise's previous entries.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel