Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

Taking a look at Tag’s reviews on Letterboxd, it seems to be even better than Game Night’s first batch :jeb!: Someone said it’s Game Night meets Jackass but twice as funny as the former and half as dudebro-y as the latter. WB needs to get reviews out soon.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, baumer said:

I personally don't understand why there would be any backlash against oceans 8. Part of the backlash against the female Ghostbusters was that that particular film ignored that Ghostbusters had existed in the past. It was a complete remake and that in my opinion was the problem. This is an oceans universe and it takes place in the same universe as obviously Sandra Bullock is George Clooney's sister. Oceans 8 will be just fine and I still think it will open close to 50 million.

I think also the fact Ocean’s Eleven itself was a remake means a spinoff isn’t a big deal to people

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ghostbusters was that that particular film ignored that Ghostbusters had existed in the past. It was a complete remake and that in my opinion was the problem.

Well, tbh, there was definitely a vocal part of the audience that couldn't stand that they replaced the GB cast with women in of itself (and those people are probably hating O8 too), because while male privileges and shit. But yes, that was the main reason, I'd say. And also the fact that the trailers looked painfully awkward and unfunny. Which is kind of a tragedy when you're trying to not do a disservice to the original Ghostbusters (even if also you're pretending like it never happened).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Ghostbusters’ problem was that it was simply too expensive, 

Probably too expensive for it's level of international appeal of a Feig/McCarthy comedy, even in case of a nice success say a 60m opening and 175m dbo, would have still have an hard time to reach that 400-450m worldwide they aimed for.

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Probably too expensive for it's level of international appeal of a Feig/McCarthy comedy, even in case of a nice success say a 60m opening and 175m dbo, would have still have an hard time to reach that 400-450m worldwide they aimed for.

I think WB were canny to have a sensible budget of Ocean's 8 and I wouldn't be surprised if they had followed what happened with Ghostbusters and vow not to repeat the same mistakes. $70m which for an ensemble piece with big names is reasonable and means WB will make a profit and likely greenlight a slightly more expensive sequel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ghostbusters got a 2.8x. Audiences definitely liked it.

The movie bombed , it doesn’t matter if it had a 10x multiplier. It did 229 million worldwide on an 144 production budget, one of the biggest bombs ever. Audiences didn’t like it and spoke with their wallets.

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Umm, I will say there is something in O8 that might piss of fanboys of the original (if there are any fanboys of this property lol)

If it's something I already read in a couple of reviews seems more pointless than anything. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So BOM wont be including the $4m previews in Oceans opening weekend, that’s a bit annoying. 

So the 15-16M from deadline is not including previews :ph34r: :ohmygod: 

9 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The movie bombed , it doesn’t matter if it had a 10x multiplier. It did 229 million worldwide on an 144 production budget, one of the biggest bombs ever. Audiences didn’t like it and spoke with their wallets.

Why am I not surprised at you making comments like that 😂

It officially wasn’t one of the biggest bombs ever. I know *those* people wanted it to be. 

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Honestly good. Wb were pushing it with previews that early.

Surely they should put the extra 3 hours separate then? Or else they should go back and do it for every film. 

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Umm, I will say there is something in O8 that might piss of fanboys of the original (if there are any fanboys of this property lol)

Yeah, I glanced at the Wikipedia plot summary. More disappointed than anything, but I don't think it has any bearing on the movie's quality.