Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

because preview starting 4pm is hardly a "preview", the practice of rolling in all the evening preview to friday number is getting out of hand, From midnight it went to 10 pm, and 9pm, 8pm, 7pm and now, studio can roll their Thursday number starting 6pm to friday number! That is more and more unbecoming.....and now they are going for 4pm! 

i watched a movie on friday at 4 pm on thrusday.

• Haha 2

Hereditary getting a low CinemaScore is not shocking whatsoever. I liked the film but the pacing is certainly glacial and there's no jump scares to appease that teen-friendly crowd.

The very few people seeing Hotel Artemis clearly weren't pleased by it.

13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I know. People just don't want quality original science fiction movies anymore. It's not a sequel so why should they watch it?

I’ll be seeing it next weekend when it opens here.  Another person at work is as well but that’s mainly because her nephew is in it. 

• Like 2

A24 has failed three great movies now: The Witch, It Comes at Night, and Hereditary. Art films are meant for a specific audience, not general audiences. Why Hereditary didn't open in NY/LA first then expand as needed is beyond me. They are gonna burn whatever they made in this brainless wide release in marketing costs to push it wide. Stop bait and switching, it tarnishes an otherwise fantastic brand.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

A24 has failed three great movies now: The Witch, It Comes at Night, and Hereditary. Art films are meant for a specific audience, not general audiences. Why Hereditary didn't open in NY/LA first then expand as needed is beyond me. They are gonna burn whatever they made in this brainless wide release in marketing costs to push it wide. Stop bait and switching, it tarnishes an otherwise fantastic brand.

Because they tried to go for mainstream success instead of accepting a strong start in platform release followed by a $10-15M at best total.

• Like 2

I’m not convinced Hereditary will have a dogshit multi like a 2.2x. A lot of theaters won’t drop it until the end of June or beginning of July, and as the RT audience score shows, plenty of people are liking it. It’ll probably settle for a 2.5-2.6x.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I’m not convinced Hereditary will have a dogshit multi like a 2.2x. A lot of theaters won’t drop it until the end of June or beginning of July, and as the RT audience score shows, plenty of people are liking it. It’ll probably settle for a 2.5-2.6x.

Which won't be enough to keep Toni Collette in the awards conversation. She's terrific in the movie (then again, when is she not terrific?), but she's the movie's sole chance at a nomination and that won't be enough to remain in the race six months from now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

As much as I like the Witch, and think Hereditary looks good (no comment on It Comes At Night), I don’t think any of those movies are mainstream enough in their appeal to do more than they did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Which won't be enough to keep Toni Collette in the awards conversation. She's terrific in the movie (then again, when is she not terrific?), but she's the movie's sole chance at a nomination and that won't be enough to remain in the race six months from now.

Yeah I feel like people jumping on the Collette train were doing so way to early.  Unless the field turns out barren I don’t see how she makes it, in fact I think Blunt would have a better chance with AQP (even though I think if she gets nominated it’ll be for Poppins).

Horror is a hard sell for the academy, even with Get Out’s success.  Kaluuya wouldn’t have been nominated if Get Out wasn’t a BP contender, and Get Out was a much more accessible film, was a hit and had commentary that helped it feel more important than other horror.

• Like 1

A24 seems to be trying to mimic Lionsgate's old days. I think Lady Bird is probably the only "safe"( or anything close to that ) movie released by them.

Everything else seems to be controversial, divisive and played for shock. You don't make movies to be watched by very few people. You make movies to be watched by as many people as possible. 

That's not to say their movies are bad per se. I know many people who loved them. However, if A24 really wants to survive, they'll have to figure out how to get butts in seats. 

That being said, at least Hereditary didn't get the F CinemaScore. :)

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

A24 seems to be trying to mimic Lionsgate's old days. I think Lady Bird is probably the only "safe"( or anything close to that ) movie released by them.

Everything else seems to be controversial, divisive and played for shock. You don't make movies to be watched by very few people. You make movies to be watched by as many people as possible. 

That's not to say their movies are bad per se. I know many people who loved them. However, if A24 really wants to survive, they'll have to figure out how to get butts in seats. 

That being said, at least Hereditary didn't get the F CinemaScore. :)

As long as they continue to thrive on the awards circuit, they'll be around.

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

RT audience score is not a reliable measure of general audience reaction to or opinion of a film. Those scores are gamed by various groups of people. Its only possible value might be assessing audience reaction of little known films in limited release. It certainly is not useful when assessing wide releases.

Edited by LonePirate

Quite frankly, most of the moviegoers who know enough about A24 to care about it as a brand probably aren't going to trash Herditary for not being a cookie-cutter horror film.

Besides - though I'll qualify this by saying I haven't seen it yet - based on the strength of the reviews and the comparisons with other A24 horror flicks with followings (namely The Witch and It Comes at Night), Hereditary should have a long shelf life with vocal fans, CinemaScore be damned.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1