Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

Oceans 8 beat it’s tracking if this weekend number holds up. 

Oceans 8 and Hereditary join Book Club and Overboard as the only Summer films that have beat their top end industry tracking. 

Deadpool 2 and Solo missed their low ends completely. Life of the Party and Breaking In were in range. Adrift and Action Point missed theirs. 

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oceans 8 beat it’s tracking if this weekend number holds up. 

Oceans 8 and Hereditary join Book Club and Overboard as the only Summer films that have beat their top end industry tracking. 

Deadpool 2 and Solo missed their low ends completely. Life of the Party and Breaking In were in range. Adrift and Action Point missed theirs. 

Upgrade came in above tracking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TLK said:

This is slightly off-topic but since this is the trailers week I went back and looked at how some of the older trailers were doing. Mary Poppins official trailer has 6.8 million views and Alita:Battle Angel has 7.7 million. Both of these are December movies so they have all the time in the world but Mary Poppins views seem a bit low for a highly anticipated Disney movie.

I still don't get why MPR is being so overpredicted.

Looks decent enough, but I don't see this must-see thing that everyone is going to want to check out.

That's a great number for AIW, similar to what AOU did. AOU did 6.3M for the weekend so I am expecting similar for AIW, maybe a bit better so 6.5M. AOU added 21M after that so 675M is pretty much locked for AIW with a very solid shot at 680+ considering it's holding better than AOU.

• Like 1

AIW looking at 2.6-2.65 multi. Big bump from AOU's 2.41x which is not common for sequels. CF's legs were better than THG but release period had changed to November. Then Mockingjay 1 and 2 also improved in legs but with smaller numbers each time. AIW on the other hand stayed in summer like AOU, put in much much bigger numbers and then improved on the legs significantly. Pretty amazing and unprecedented.

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Like 6

From WB’s POV, they’ve successfully rebooted the Oceans franchise and 8 is likely to outgross both Ocean’s Twelve and Thirteen at least domestically, OS is a bit iffy to predict but matching Ocean’s Thirteen OS total would be good. It likely going to the most profitable Ocean’s film since the first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

I still don't get why MPR is being so overpredicted.

Looks decent enough, but I don't see this must-see thing that everyone is going to want to check out.

Because just five years ago, Saving Mr. Banks was a stealth PL Travers biopic about winning the Mary Poppins movie rights, and it made $83 million? And it was more or less an awards season also-ran. Imagine how many more people will show up to see the actual character again, in a holiday season musical.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Saw O8 yesterday and while you could see all the plot moves coming from 40 feet away, it was still pretty entertaining. My wife liked it quite a bit. 

It will keep making its modest money the next couple weeks even as the I2 and JW tidal waves crash over it and end up profitable. It has its audience and they will go out and see it. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

That's a great number for AIW, similar to what AOU did. AOU did 6.3M for the weekend so I am expecting similar for AIW, maybe a bit better so 6.5M. AOU added 21M after that so 675M is pretty much locked for AIW with a very solid shot at 680+ considering it's holding better than AOU.

Friday will be under estimated. If you look at IW it has been following GG2 very closely, with a tad bit better holds, and every Weekend it had bigger increases than GG2. GG2 jumped 68% so I expect IW to do the same if not a bit better. I think the actuals will come closer to $1.9m and the weekend closer to $6.8m - $6.9m. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Females repped 69% of the crowd for Ocean’s 8,  which outnumbers the size of the females that turned out for the recent Clooney-Pitt-Damon pics at 55%. Those over 25 numbered 69% giving it a B, while those under at 31% enjoyed Ocean’s 8 with an A-. Of the 11% under 18 crowd who showed, they loved Ocean’s 8 with a solid A.

Sounds like those who remember/watched the original series (aka - the older group) are a little less enthusiastic than those who probably haven't (aka - the younger groups)...

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Oceans would have done better if the original cast returned instead.

You mean these swingin citizens?

Maybe, but unfortunately besides Angie I think they’ve all gone on to glory and she’s practically 90. Anyway I’m looking forward to Ocean’s 9 and 10 and maybe Ocean’s 23 where they bring the two remake casts together for one last ride (course that last ones just speculation)...

Edited by MrSinister
There’s a swingin town I know called...Capitals City 🏒🏆
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

From WB’s POV, they’ve successfully rebooted the Oceans franchise and 8 is likely to outgross both Ocean’s Twelve and Thirteen at least domestically, OS is a bit iffy to predict but matching Ocean’s Thirteen OS total would be good. It likely going to the most profitable Ocean’s film since the first. 

Legs should be solid considering it has nothing in the way of direct competition for older women until Mamma Mia 2 comes out in a month-and-a-half.

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Great for IW. 

Meh for others 

A lock for 2B WW, a small chance to put the force to bed. We’ll see how it holds up with Fallen Kingdom coming and if there’s any type of AM&TW bump the way it bumped BP (doubt it-AM is a smaller flick)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Friday will be under estimated. If you look at IW it has been following GG2 very closely, with a tad bit better holds, and every Weekend it had bigger increases than GG2. GG2 jumped 68% so I expect IW to do the same if not a bit better. I think the actuals will come closer to $1.9m and the weekend closer to $6.8m - $6.9m. 

AIW also has had slightly better internal multipliers than GOTG2.  With the same 3.72 during the comparative w/e if it hits 1.9 would do $7.07m - slightly higher and it could do $7.2m

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A Ocean's movie with both casts combined would explode.

O9 could have a few actors from O11-13 with at least one big name and could set the stage for a bigger O10 showdown.

Imagine the home and rental revenue they will get for the 6 films O8-O13 😆

Edited by A2k Rex

7 minutes ago, MrSinister said:

A lock for 2B WW, a small chance to put the force to bed. We’ll see how it holds up with Fallen Kingdom coming and if there’s any type of AM&TW bump the way it bumped BP (doubt it-AM is a smaller flick)

An Incredibles 2 bump could help it but my guess is they will try and prop up Solo instead.

• Like 1