oMeriMombatti

Wednesday Numbers | 06/21/2018

39 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

My closest nearby theater, Downtown Disney AMC just closed this week, so all the films that were just playing there this past weekend should probably be losing at least one theater count this weekend.

Aww man, that sucks. I used to be a manager there back in the day. Loved working at that location. The design was different from any other AMC. Weekdays were usually dead, and even weekends compared to other area AMC's weren't bad unless there was a Disney movie out. You had your choice of lunch locations in DTD, and getting a cast ID and sign on pass were huge perks I didn't get anywhere else. It just never performed as well as other locations in the market or the one in Orlando. What are they putting in it's place?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, misterchief81 said:

Aww man, that sucks. I used to be a manager there back in the day. Loved working at that location. The design was different from any other AMC. Weekdays were usually dead, and even weekends compared to other area AMC's weren't bad unless there was a Disney movie out. You had your choice of lunch locations in DTD, and getting a cast ID and sign on pass were huge perks I didn't get anywhere else. It just never performed as well as other locations in the market or the one in Orlando. What are they putting in it's place?

A new hotel is being built. AMC is moving to a nearby shopping/entertainment area (name escapes me)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I2 probably isn't hitting 100 this weekend with that Wed number. Which begs the question: just how low is FK gonna go? Really can't see it winning when it can't even top I2 on MT the day of release. 

JW is going to easily win the weekend 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I2 probably isn't hitting 100 this weekend with that Wed number. Which begs the question: just how low is FK gonna go? Really can't see it winning when it can't even top I2 on MT the day of release. 

For your sake, FK should hopelessly disappoint, otherwise it's quite hard to take you seriously with the extreme bipolar positions you vacillate between within short periods of time.

• Disbelief 1

Just now, BK007 said:

For your sake, FK should hopelessly disappoint, otherwise it's quite hard to take you seriously with the extreme bipolar positions you vacillate between within short periods of time.

Lmao, what? I've been saying FK was going to drop off huge for months. I've always had one of the lowest predictions around for it, check the summer game if you don't believe me. Ofc I was never saying sub 100 for OW prior to the data, that would have made me completely crazy. No one could have seen that coming, but the pre-sales do indeed support it. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Lmao, what? I've been saying FK was going to drop off huge for months. I've always had one of the lowest predictions around for it, check the summer game if you don't believe me. Ofc I was never saying sub 100 for OW prior to the data, that would have made me completely crazy. No one could have seen that coming, but the pre-sales do indeed support it. 

Which pre-sales though? Jurassic World isn't that kind of film. 

Seems spurious to compare it to superhero movies or Star Wars. Why not compare it to the first one? Or something like Transformers?

If those are the only numbers on record in the thread, then fine, but otherwise it's a pretty bad comparison.

Anyway, the naysayers could yet be right, since you can't tell walk-up business until the weekend actually happens, but for now, sub-100m, hell, sub-130m seems like wishful thinking. 

15 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Yeah maybe he should commit harakiri if FK does well......whatever. If that was the case half the forum should have been dead already with the amount of bullshit that has been posted about various movies,pre-release.

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

JW is going to easily win the weekend 

It's at 32.7% on MT and I2 at 51.2% on Thursday, okay it's just noon, but that is not that high.

That will certainly change sometime this afternoon/evening.

But I guess this year in a way could be like 2015 (JW $106.6M and IO $90.4M)

Okay JW2 hopefully is higher than JWs 2nd weekend and I2 might be lower, but considering the fact that JW opened to 208M, that isn't a nice opening.

Edited by Taruseth

dory was -22% on wed (and -3.7% on thu). dory's weekdays have certianly held better. maybe i2 will tiny bit behave like a cbm that it is.

17.8 (-10%)

23.1 (+30%) //+33.3% (dory holds as comp)

29.6 (+28%) // +19.5

23.2 (-21%) //-20.6%

= 76.0 (-58.4%)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

I2 definitely not holding as well as FINDING DORY. Guess it's to be expected though, with it being so much bigger. I was hoping for about $21M.

And this is what some of us have been saying.  It opened to double preview number and about 35% higher than the previous record for animation, so why wouldn't it have burned off a lot of demand?  

3 hours ago, a2k said:

dory was -22% on wed (and -3.7% on thu). dory's weekdays have certianly held better. maybe i2 will tiny bit behave like a cbm that it is.

17.8 (-10%)

23.1 (+30%) //+33.3%

29.6 (+28%) // +19.5

22.8 (-23%) //-20.6%

= 75.5 (-59%)

I agree with this.  I just don't know how movieman and others are expecting I2 to win the weekend.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

17.8 (-10%)

23.1 (+30%) //+33.3%

29.6 (+28%) // +19.5

22.8 (-23%) //-20.6%

= 75.5 (-58.7%)

Dory's weekend holds left something to be desired though. Cars 3 for example held way worse than Dory on its first weekdays and then had a huge second weekend Friday jump. Same with Inside Out and pretty much all other same release date Pixar movies. Dory's second weekend holds were really weak and the weekdays really strong. Would make sense if it was mainly playing to families and not 4 quad like I2 seems to be. 

3 hours ago, Taruseth said:

It's at 32.7% on MT and I2 at 51.2% on Thursday, okay it's just noon, but that is not that high.

That will certainly change sometime this afternoon/evening.

But I guess this year in a way could be like 2015 (JW $106.6M and IO $90.4M)

Okay JW2 hopefully is higher than JWs 2nd weekend.

Why does everything have to be about presales?  People do walk up and buy tickets.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dory's weekend holds left something to be desired though. Cars 3 for example held way worse than Dory on its first weekdays and then had a huge second weekend Friday jump. Same with Inside Out and pretty much all other same release date Pixar movies. Dory's second weekend holds were really weak and the weekdays really strong. Would make sense if it was mainly playing to families and not 4 quad like I2 seems to be. 

So now Dory isn't a quad 4 movie?  Jesus dude.  

• Like 3