Eric Duncan

Little Women | December 25 2019 | Sony | Greta Gerwig directs | 24th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

5 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Lol I can name more than a few coming of age stories that were far better yet didn't receive nearly as much hype as Lady Bird. Thank goodness for LM, she saved it from being a complete bore.

I can only think of four coming of age films from this century (Margaret, Moonlight, Persepolis, and Let The Right One) that I would consider better than Lady bird and one of those got more acclaim than Lady Bird.

11 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

No I meant that I am not a native English speaker so maybe that’s why I can’t see the problem with her accent ...

Accents are all over the place in this. Emma is just an easy target but everyone is speaking with whatever accent they want. personally, I was never an accent person unless it's some extremely exaggerated accent that distracts from everything else. 

Edited by Valonqar

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I can only think of four coming of age films from this century (Margaret, Moonlight, Persepolis, and Let The Right One) that I would consider better than Lady bird and one of those got more acclaim than Lady Bird.

I don't see it as any better than the numerous other coming of age stories that have come out recently. It's certainly not in the same league as Moonlight. And if we're simply talking better coming of age films that didn't get as much hype, Girlhood, Eve's Bayou, Real Women Have Curves make Lady Bird look stale by comparison.

Florence pugh has a very deep voice which i think is cool. Scarlett Johansson has the same and what do you know pugh is the new Black widow. Everyone looks very good. Why Eliza scanlen didn’t get a line is beyond me. If you have seen Sharp objects you have to agree she’s such a big talent. Tbh i don’t get the hype for Chalamet like others do. Yes he is good but he doesn’t seen to be doing something new here. Don’t think that Dune is gonna work out for him. IT has massive money losing flop written all over it

56 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not near the same league as those films.

It doesn't help that the lead is a lying, cheating, selfish, insufferable snot who gets what she doesn't in the least deserve.  Very good cast though and Metcalf is great but I found the parent's story line and even those of  her best friend and first boyfriend  vastly more interesting than the main b/c they were far more likeable with real issues that weren't mostly their fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

Don’t think that Dune is gonna work out for him. IT has massive money losing flop written all over it

Dune will be better than every single big budget film released in 2020 by a country mile

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not near the same league as those films.

It doesn't help that the lead is a lying, cheating, selfish, insufferable snot who gets what she doesn't in the least deserve.  Very good cast though and Metcalf is great but I found the parent's story line and even those of  her best friend and first boyfriend  vastly more interesting than the main b/c they were far more likeable with real issues that weren't mostly their fault.

It certainly isn't in the same league as those films (Margaret is in my top 5 and Let the Right One In is in my top 20 and those other two films end up somewhere in my top 100) but I think it's at a level just below those films.

And Lady Bird is an insufferable snot (like a normal teenager) but the movie does such a good job of getting in her head and I just can't help but relate to her. And it's not just because of the writing but also the directing.

It doesn't look all that different from other versions, including the 1994 version. Now I get why they are not taking it to film festivals. There is no way all the critics will be on board for a remake that doesn't look necessary at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TLK said:

It doesn't look all that different from other versions, including the 1994 version. Now I get why they are not taking it to film festivals. There is no way all the critics will be on board for a remake that doesn't look necessary at all.

That's not why it isn't going to the festivals. It isn't because it doesn't need them since it's had buzz from the moment it was announced. There's always a contender or two opening in December each year that skip the festivals (last year it was Vice, the year before it was The Post and Phantom Thread), and an adaptation of a beloved novel from an exciting director and a starry cast opening on Christmas Day is that kind of movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's not why it isn't going to the festivals. It isn't because it doesn't need them since it's had buzz from the moment it was announced. There's always a contender or two opening in December each year that skip the festivals (last year it was Vice, the year before it was The Post and Phantom Thread), and an adaptation of a beloved novel from an exciting director and a starry cast opening on Christmas Day is that kind of movie.

Exciting director and starry cast don't guarantee great reviews. Critics are going to ask the question whether this remake is necessary and if the answer is no, their reviews will reflect it. I agree that the movie will make a lot of money but middling reviews in September aren't going to help the box office in December.

• Like 1