That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

3 minutes ago, YLF said:

Christopher Robin embargo is the same day as when the movie previews. it will likely get bad reviews.

Doesn’t seem to have a lot of steam behind it either, don’t get me wrong I’ll be seeing it but I don’t see it overthrowing the cruise unless MI6 has a monumental drop 

2 hours ago, YLF said:

Christopher Robin embargo is the same day as when the movie previews. it will likely get bad reviews.

I know a few people who have seen it. People actually walked out. Said it was one of the worst movies they'd ever seen.

56 minutes ago, noknobs said:

I know a few people who have seen it. People actually walked out. Said it was one of the worst movies they'd ever seen.

LMAO are you serious? yikes.

12 hours ago, divinity83 said:

Top Gun: Maverick is such a mistake. Like Tron and Blade Runner, Top Gun should be left in the 80s. Don't get me wrong, Blade Runner 2049 was great, but it still flopped. IMAX or not, TG: M will flop.

I don't think it will flop.  Tom cruise movies, for the most part, don't flop.  And Top Gun was a giant hit where the other two were not.  Plus, Tron Legacy did well enough, it's just the budget was too high.  If I had to guess a year out, I'd say Top Gun can be a 400 WW grossing movie.  

• Like 1

FWIW, I remember when Top Gun 2 was first announced, my parents seemed pretty excited for it, so I can see it tapping into an older audience and be a modest hit (I'm currently predicting somewhere in the $105M range)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I don't think it will flop.  Tom cruise movies, for the most part, don't flop.  And Top Gun was a giant hit where the other two were not.  Plus, Tron Legacy did well enough, it's just the budget was too high.  If I had to guess a year out, I'd say Top Gun can be a 400 WW grossing movie.  

Agree. If they make a decent movie and keep the budget under 150 mill they should be fine

Poor number for Mission: Impossible 6.  Surely one of the Greatest Action Films Of All Time, featuring one of the Last Great Movie Stars should be comfortably on its way to $1 billion or more! Perhaps there's something about Thomas Mapother IV that just turns a lot of people off. Wonder what it could be?

4 minutes ago, Fielding said:

Poor number for Mission: Impossible 6.  Surely one of the Greatest Action Films Of All Time, featuring one of the Last Great Movie Stars should be comfortably on its way to $1 billion or more! Perhaps there's something about Thomas Mapother IV that just turns a lot of people off. Wonder what it could be?

something weird about your words

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fmpro said:

Agree. If they make a decent movie and keep the budget under 150 mill they should be fine

I know it's Cruise, but I don't see any need to make this a 150 million dollar film.  There shouldn't be a lot of CGI in it and Cruise should have a back end deal.  So to me, this shouldn't be an more than 100 million.  Look at Sicario 2.  That had a budget of 35 million.  If you have a bigger scale film, with the military co-operation, and even taking into account Cruise's huge salary, 100-125 mill seems right, at least in my mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fielding said:

It's a sixth film in a 22 year old franchise.  It's the highest opening of the series and it made 153 mill WW OW.  It did better than tracking suggested.  Nothing wrong with the gross at all.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I know it's Cruise, but I don't see any need to make this a 150 million dollar film.  There shouldn't be a lot of CGI in it and Cruise should have a back end deal.  So to me, this shouldn't be an more than 100 million.  Look at Sicario 2.  That had a budget of 35 million.  If you have a bigger scale film, with the military co-operation, and even taking into account Cruise's huge salary, 100-125 mill seems right, at least in my mind.

🤜🤛

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

These numbers (gross and PTA) are good but they are not great. They are better than the numbers posted by Call Me By Your Name when it expanded into 114 theaters in its fifth (not third) weekend. However, they are worse than when Lady Bird expanded into 238 theaters in its third weekend. Awards season buzz helped Call Me which Eighth Grade won’t have. Still, the August heat and doldrums should push this to somewhere between $15M-$20M, maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

$600M worldwide absolute minimum guaranteed. 

• Like 1