That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

I bet Florence Pugh is coming for a lot of award nominations this year, minus the televised ones of course given how they couldn't even nominate Toni Collette. 

Edited by Fanboy
Grammar mistake

Can someone tell me why, being a couple months away and with only a very vague teaser so far, this movie is already scaring the crap out of me? I don't think I've ever had this with any horror movie before. 

On 5/9/2019 at 7:55 PM, JB33 said:

Can someone tell me why, being a couple months away and with only a very vague teaser so far, this movie is already scaring the crap out of me? I don't think I've ever had this with any horror movie before. 

I feel the same way as this, and I think it's partly because of the timing of the film. In the film, it's sunny weather all the time, and flowers are blooming, and everyone is smiling. And what season have we just entered. Summer. So we're the exact same things--nice weather, blooming flowers, smiling people--but the film trailer and marketing has construed those things to make us question whether those things are good or if there's an underlying sinister nature to them--even if we're only considering that for a split second.

An another reason could be the increased plausibility that a group of millenials really could get into a dangerous situation--maybe not one as outlandish as the film's, but one that is similarly dangerous. Think about it--millenials are said to value experiences over money. Monopoly even made a special board all about this trend. The Fyre Music Festival coaxed many millenials out to the Bahamas--the whole package was $500, and when a ticket is that low, it had to be too good to be true--and while it wasn't necessarily dangerous for the guests, all the mismanagement of that festival made it so that the guests were in a situation they weren't wanting to be in.

I'm not going to watch this second trailer, but I remember the first trailer when the group individuals were hiking through the forest to get to the festival grounds. They are young and adventurous, just like me, and just like many other people I know in my life. A cynic could say that "those people are idiots for going to that festival in the first place" and simply leave it at that. But these character are also young, a time in one's life when one can seem invincible and serious mistakes can be made.

A third reason why the film looks as scary as it does is how much the film begs for people to watch it. This begging is achieved through the use of layered visuals and punctual editing. The camera guides you through the setting in a way really makes you consider the things that are going on. And the society that houses this evil has been shown to be so happy that it seems like they genuinely think there's nothing wrong with what they're doing, as if they have no concept of man's sin nature and it's perfectly fine to commit heinous acts with a warm smile on your face.

So those are my thoughts on what I've seen from the film thus far. Personally, the film scares me enough as to where I'm not going to watch it.

• Like 3