That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

starting at 100% on RT with 8/10 avg rating from 7 reviews. the avg rating is already below Hereditary's which was 8.25/10 and 70 on MC (from 6 reviews) which is also lower than Hereditary's 87. so seems like the critical reception will be warmer than Hereditary but still quite solid for a horror flick.  think it will land in the mid 80s on RT eventually. and I liked how the reactions seem to imply that the movie is also very funny. I found the humor in Ari Aster's last 2 films a bit low-key so nice to see he's trying something different.

Capture.PNG

7 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Seems like every movie nowadays has to have a bit much humor. :( Hereditary had a perfect tone.

My dude Hereditary came out only a year ago ("nowadays" lol) and this screenplay was written ages ago. You frame it as if Aster is giving in to some societal pressure for his movie to have humor in it. Even if Hereditary had perfect tone, you realize that doesn't mean he has to make his next movie identical in tone to Hereditary, right?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

My dude Hereditary came out only a year ago ("nowadays" lol) and this screenplay was written ages ago. You frame it as if Aster is giving in to some societal pressure for his movie to have humor in it. Even if Hereditary had perfect tone, you realize that doesn't mean he has to make his next movie identical in tone to Hereditary, right?

Actually, studios are adding more humor to their films lately because they believe audiences will have a more “fun” time at the theater. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Heck, even Hereditary had a few moments of dark humor in it as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Seems like every movie nowadays has to have a bit much humor. :( Hereditary had a perfect tone.

Pfft. It's not as if Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby and The Thing don't have moments of humor, levity. It's not a new thing. That's just to name a few. Cronenberg's horror flicks have some fine wicked laughs too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Actually, studios are adding more humor to their films lately because they believe audiences will have a more “fun” time at the theater. 

Again, using the word "lately" when you are comparing two films that came out about a year apart is a bit odd. It's not like A24 is placing restrictions on their films to be more "fun," esp. considering how happy they were with Hereditary. This film was in production before Hereditary came out, and was written a good bit before that. And thus far I haven't seen critics complaining about the humor or believing it's shoehorned in. This is the film it was always meant to be. If you don't like that, fine. But don't criticize a movie for having humor just because it's not explicitly a comedy.

3 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

whoa, i can tell this dude is a real industry insider. what a scoop.

Edited by CoolioD1

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Why would you spoil yourself? You want to hate it, don't you? 

nope, I always spoil myself for any movie. this just happen to sound like shit. the leaker says the plot is stupid and relies on people doing stupid shit to move it forward. I don't like that. it also doesn't sound like a mind-bender that critics are making it out to be either. 

• Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Is the movie exactly like the leaked script? If so, then it gets an F CinemaScore, lol. I'm actually excited to see this one. 

I don't know what was in the leaked script but it doesn't have a single likable character, there's tons of nudity, it's supposedly very slow, basically just spinning wheels til the ending that could be seen from miles away. there's a scene at the end that's supposed to be shocking but whatever, lol, maybe unintentionally funny. 

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, That One Guy said:

Finally, we have the take of someone who didn’t watch the movie but read spoilers on 4chan without seeing how they work within the context of the movie

stupid movie is stupid movie. I knew IW would be great cause I could follow the spoiler synopsis without being confused who is where doing what. this thing is just stupid. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

The Wrap review apparently spoils elements of the ending just in case people are thinking of reading it.

If anything else I'm loving the notices for Pugh, she's a star in the making (her turn in The Little Drummer Girl was superb) and hopefully 2019 is to her what 2011 was to Jessica Chastain and 2015 to Alicia Vikander.

Edited by gadd
  • Thanks 1