grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

It won SAG and would've obviously won screenplay without THL in the way. What else do you think would've stood in its way to BP? Precious? (Actually... oh shit.)

honestly before hurt locker surprisingly swept the critics awards and avatar blew up at the box office most people thought it was gonna be precious.

Precious is crazy rewatchable and I wouldn't mind that movie win either. It aged really well. The worst nominee was laughably overrated one hit wonder District 12. Boy were people wrong for hyping what'shisface as the next big thing. I saw D12 once and was, like, what was everyone smoking? This is a total The Fly rip-off but, you know, shitty one. 

Edited by Valonqar

When the word blockbuster became a genre, which is it is not by the way but I am not the one playing God with words, the worm was in the apple.

Blockbusters are discriminated, vicitimized, looked down upon by critics and cinephelia as the opium of the masses, considered art one time every 2 or 3  years, the Nolans (and his Candian knock off) mainly, Mad Max Fury Road and that s about it.

A populist movie.

A populist politician.

Same cancer in the wannabe Elite minds, what appeals to the masses is suspicious, nearly dangerous, often vulgar crap aimed at the uneducated masses.

Avengers Infinty War cannot possibly be art and win all the Oscars, so we will create an Oscar category to appease the People :

Crumbs for The Dumb.

These fucking people are so unaware of anything they don't even realize how condescending and insulting this new category is.

:shades::):rock:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

I will not take this nonsensical hate against the great Denis Villeneuve.  A true artist.

Arrival, Sicario and Blade Runner 2049 are all better than Nolan’s best.  Sorry.

I have 3 Villeneuve movies in my all time top 250, only one Nolan!

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

I will not take this nonsensical hate against the great Denis Villeneuve.  A true artist.

Arrival, Sicario and Blade Runner 2049 are all better than Nolan’s best.  Sorry.

BR2049 and Sicario are certainly better than anything he's done after TDK.  Before this new "thanks for trying" category, I think Dune could have potentially been his LOTR and been the first genre movie since LOTR to win the big cheese.   Yes the Shape of Water won, but when people think of scifi they think of things like spaceships, planets, time travel, aliens, etc... not some chick getting boned by a fish man.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

BR2049 and Sicario are certainly better than anything he's done after TDK.  Before this new "thanks for trying" category, I think Dune could have potentially been his LOTR and been the first genre movie since LOTR to win the big cheese.   Yes the Shape of Water won, but when people think of scifi they think of things like spaceships, planets, time travel, aliens, etc... not some chick getting boned by a fish man.

I’ve always thought the 2/3rds of the Dark Knight is fantastic, but the other 3rd drags it down and stops it from being all-time great worthy for me (obviously others disagree).  Which is why I’d easily prefer Villeneuve’s last three films to it.

I don’t think it’ll be impossible for a ‘Popular’ movie to win BP with this cat, but it’ll need to be something LOTR level great to do so.  Villeneuve’s Dune certainly has potential to be that good though.

• Disbelief 1

Couldn’t the Oscars do something more similar to “Best British Picture” at the BAFTAS, just name it “Best Large Production”.  Take gross out of the equation, and focus on scale of production.  

It’d target many “popular pictures” (but not all) but be more focused on “cinematic experience” movies or “immersion” features.  

Still not sure if I’d be for it, but it’s a better take than “Popular”.

4 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

I’ve always thought the 2/3rds of the Dark Knight is fantastic, but the other 3rd drags it down and stops it from being all-time great worthy for me (obviously others disagree).  Which is why I’d easily prefer Villeneuve’s last three films to it.

I don’t think it’ll be impossible for a ‘Popular’ movie to win BP with this cat, but it’ll need to be something LOTR level great to do so.  Villeneuve’s Dune certainly has potential to be that good though.

I would say the same thing but I cant because it is THE DARK KNIGHT and I like every moment as time progresses so the last 1/3 is the best part IMO.

10 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

Well said, Prisoners too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

We can agree on that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Disney forced the Academy to add a category so their own movies can get recognized.

Pretty much confirming that FOX Searchlight is DOA at Disney...They don't need Searchlight if they can just buy Oscars for their over budget films.....And don't give me that Iger said this crap......Iger says a lot of things.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1