sfran43

Weekend Thread: HTM heading for about 10 mill..CRA killing it with projected 4% drop

20 minutes ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Crazy Rich Asians is the Black Panther of Asians: An overrated mediocre formulaic movie propped up cause critics will be called racists if they admit it is bad.

Take this shit and the get fyck out of here. Can’t believe the moderators allow shit like. I’m white, and I enjoyed BP and CRA a lot. Not because of some retarded racist crap.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Take this shit and the get fyck out of here. Can’t believe the moderators allow shit like. I’m white, and I enjoyed BP and CRA a lot. Not because of some retarded racist crap.

We don't allow stuff like this. But we all have lives outside the forums. Can't be here all the time.

35 minutes ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.

Ask Reddit and how many people remember it and what cultural impact it has?  I Rest my case.

@DAR i got you

Reddit is an echo chamber of nerd culture, the general population loves Pandora. Flight of passage is the #1 ride (as voted for by vistors) at Disneyland. Avatar the #2 selling blu-ray of all time (frozen 2 will make gangbusters btw). Mountain range named after it. Cirque du soleil. People dressing as Na'vi protesting against governments in countries with high injustice. This is almost the most cultural impact of any original film ever.

This ones for you @KJsooner

Without going crazy and opening the can of worms here BP with it's ridiculously high critic scores and audience reactions there's at least a discussion to be had that it was overrated due to political reasons.

I'm not really interested in pursuing either topics further so later.. come to Avatar 2 thread if you've got a bone to pick

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Crazy Rich Asians is the Black Panther of Asians: An overrated mediocre formulaic movie propped up cause critics will be called racists if they admit it is bad.

33 minutes ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.

Ask Reddit and how many people remember it and what cultural impact it has?  I Rest my case.

The problem with the internet is that there's always someone out there who isn't yet tired of making arguments like these. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hey, its perfectly fine if one doesnt like Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians. I for one found BP to be mostly entertaining, but ultimately a bit forgettable. Does my opinion matter though? Well, for me i guess. And thats probably it lol.

Both BP and now CRA have insanely good WOM. Thats just the matter of fact. That means that the vast majority of people who have seen these movies either liked or loved them. End of discussion. Lets move on.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

@DAR i got you

Reddit is an echo chamber of nerd culture, the general population loves Pandora. Flight of passage is the #1 ride (as voted for by vistors) at Disneyland. Avatar the #2 selling blu-ray of all time (frozen 2 will make gangbusters btw). Mountain range named after it. Cirque du soleil. People dressing as Na'vi protesting against governments in countries with high injustice. This is almost the most cultural impact of any original film ever.

This ones for you @KJsooner

Without going crazy and opening the can of worms here BP with it's ridiculously high critic scores and audience reactions there's at least a discussion to be had that it was overrated due to political reasons.

I'm not really interested in pursuing either topics further so later.. come to Avatar 2 thread if you've got a bone to pick

That’s okay I think Avatar is an overrated pos film outside it’s awesome visual. Avatar is a film we’ve seen a 1000x before. Film doesn’t really holdup nowadays.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the boy is big mad whenever a smaller movie is a big hit because he can't ad nauseam repeat the old "people don't go to the cinema to see these movies they only wanna pay for spectacle" line.

How is crazy rich asians a small movie...the movie been getting buzzed about for months and months...

No you misunderstand my point as always

How many smaller films break out like this though..

Its not about it being small or big its novelty.

This movie broke out for being a novelty in same manner infinty wars and black panthers were a novelty in the comic book genre or else thry woulf have made far less.

My point films are only breaking out for having an x factor. Typical generic romantic comdies have bombed like crazy in the past years as people dont go to the theaters every weekend unless for a hyped film.

If they dont have one they perform as expected or bomb.

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm glad you mentioned this.  This is pretty unprecedented.  A film with a wide release without the benefit of a holiday second weekend, that is going to decrease less than 5% is unheard of.  This is truly an exciting time at the box office.  

First thing, CRA is obviously having a great run, and this is an amazing hold.

But it was released on a Wednesday (and I think it had one night of previews before that). The first weekend was Day 3-5 of its run. That is at least as significant as a holiday second weekend.

9 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

That’s okay I think Avatar is an overrated pos film outside it’s awesome visual. Avatar is a film we’ve seen a 1000x before. Film doesn’t really holdup nowadays.

watched it last week best thing I've seen all year... 2020 is my time KJ.. might make the 2020 prediction thread tomorrow

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Not enough.

And they wont because unless they film has a x factor peopl dont have an urge to leave thier homes and go to the theater and spend 15 to 20 bucks.

But hey you guys can keep pretending its 2005.

Most smaller films flop in theaters  now and find an audience online or streaming.

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I'd like to remind everyone that remember specific plot points/characters in a film means zilch in regards to how good the film is.

Good point. I rewatched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon this weekend and realized I didn't remember anything about the plot, and forgot one main character entirely.

Still the best film I have seen this year.

• Like 1