sfran43

Weekend Thread: HTM heading for about 10 mill..CRA killing it with projected 4% drop

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine they'll try and hit 100 episodes so it can be sold in syndication. It's currently at 79 episodes so it only need to run a full season to fulfil that.

It has a syndication deal with Freeform already.

That is a crazy good hold for Crazy Rich Asians. Unexpected home runs like that are always fun. Pity about Freah off the Boat, though at least Randall Park’s career is going ok, too.

I liked the parallel someone mentioned a while back with My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Really fun, solidly executed movie about a relatively underserved group ends up making huge bucks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/243290/share-of-3d-box-office-revenue-in-north-america/

Share of box office that come from 3D

2006: 1%

2007: 1%

2008: 2%

2009: 10%

2010: 21%

2011: 18%

There is not many movies in history for which you can so clearly track impact of cultural consumption and production in the US than Avatar.

It was the technology, not Avatar itself, because 2011 is virtually a match to 2010. And 3D is basically gone now, less than a decade later. So the novelty of 3D was interesting for a handful of years longer than Smell-O-Vision was. 

I think 3D would still be relevant today if the studios hadn't killed it by ordering so many subpar post-conversions. Cheap post-conversions enhanced the format's reputation as a cheap gimmick, even as acclaimed filmmakers like Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott embraced it and several others (Alfonso Cuaron, George Miller, Robert Zemeckis) made specific and deliberate considerations for the format despite not filming in it. It's a bummer that the format is now just an irritating inconvenience for blockbusters and wannabe-blockbusters rather than a filmmaking tool to get excited about when a big-name director utilizes it effectively.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, martymcfly said:

It was the technology, not Avatar itself, because 2011 is virtually a match to 2010. And 3D is basically gone now, less than a decade later. So the novelty of 3D was interesting for a handful of years longer than Smell-O-Vision was. 

Well yes that was my point I was not talking about Avatar box office there I assume you already knew it was really big, Avatar had a major impact about how much 3D was popular again for a while.

It is rare for a movie to have that big of an impact.

12 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

CRA killing it, ha! 

So, when is the first East Asian SH film hitting theaters then? I'm sure there will be a race for that! 

Most likely when DC gets its act together. They already have Katana, with Eugene Choi and Cassandra Cain debuting soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if DC gives us both the first Asian led superhero film (Cassandra/Batgirl) and the first Latino led superhero film (Blue Beetle).

• Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2018/08/melissa-mccarthy-happytime-murders-crazy-rich-asians-meg-weekend-box-office-1202451694/

Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians is flat out doing amazing this weekend with an unprecedented $25M, which is an unbelievable -6% dip from its first weekend’s $26.5M.

Together with the third $12.2M weekend of The MegWarner Bros. rules the top two box office spots for the second weekend in a row, plus it’s the third consecutive weekend that the Burbank, CA lot has snatched the top spot.

Which brings us to STX Entertainment’s raunchy, R-rated Melissa McCarthy-puppet comedy, The Happytime Murders, which is dead and wrapped in plastic with a $10.2M start, repping the Groundling alum’s lowest wide opening ever for one of her solo films.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/melissa-mccarthy-happytime-murders-crazy-rich-asians-meg-weekend-box-office-1202451694/

Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians is flat out doing amazing this weekend with an unprecedented $25M, which is an unbelievable -6% dip from its first weekend’s $26.5M.

this is the old update

Edited by KeepItU25071906

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine they'll try and hit 100 episodes so it can be sold in syndication. It's currently at 79 episodes so it only need to run a full season to fulfil that.

You don’t need 100 episodes for syndication, it’s 4 seasons. 

See: Sex and the City

3 hours ago, MaxAggressor said:

@a2k The Meg's weekend estimates are up by 0.6m. It went from 11.6m (-45%) to 12.2m (-42.3%).

12+ would be great but i think that's just deadline's internal calcs. maybe they updated cause sat number is stronger than expeccted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Crazy Rich Asians won't beat Aquaman as WB's highest grossing 2018 release domestic. Aquaman will do over $400 million.

Fantastic Beasts will go down though. It won't reach $200 million. Hiring Johnny Depp was a stupid mistake.

How can you get so much wrong in 1 post

• Like 2
  • Haha 3