sfran43

Weekend Thread: HTM heading for about 10 mill..CRA killing it with projected 4% drop

It'll be interesting to see if Crazy Rich Asians can turn its surprise immense box office success into any kind of awards attention (beyond that Popular Movie category lol). FWIW My Big Fat Greek Wedding did nab a Screenplay nomination.

• Like 5

Yeah, we're not talking about a blockbuster stabilizing after back-to-back massive drops; we're talking about a film dropping 4% Friday-to-Friday in its second weekend. Even though it's unlikely to keep up that same pace throughout the weekend (thanks mostly to that incredible Sunday hold last weekend), its drop is probably only going to be around 10%. You really have to reach to downplay this film's success thus far.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It'll be interesting to see if Crazy Rich Asians can turn its surprise immense box office success into any kind of awards attention (beyond that Popular Movie category lol). FWIW My Big Fat Greek Wedding did nab a Screenplay nomination.

I haven't paid much attention to the awards race this year, but maybe Supporting Actress has a shot? I believe the only real contenders at the moment are Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams, and one of The Favourite women. Michelle Yeoh could sneak her way in.

Constance Wu's almost guaranteed for Comedy Actress at the Globes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

The legs for this are way more impressive than Suicide Squad lol.

He complained in the CRA thread about how romcoms are still dead because nobody sees small movies or whatever the heck, and this is just a lucky break. Just ignore him and let him go off on his silly rant.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gamera said:

Well, CRA got about 1000X the publicity of How Do You Know.

Give any movie that kind of fawning publicity and it will make money.

You seem really hurt about CRA success. Your comment is not true by the way. A Wrinkle in Time had Time Magazine covers and tons of fawning publicity and bombed. If the hyped film doesn't live it to the hype it's dead in the water. It bombed so hard that Disney had to pretend that it crossed 100mil.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

6 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Yeah, we're not talking about a blockbuster stabilizing after back-to-back massive drops; we're talking about a film dropping 4% Friday-to-Friday in its second weekend. Even though it's unlikely to keep up that same pace throughout the weekend (thanks mostly to that incredible Sunday hold last weekend), its drop is probably only going to be around 10%. You really have to reach to downplay this film's success thus far.

Have we had a film perform like this in the past 3 years or so?

There are always people trying to downplay a hit movie. Comparing CRA to Suicide Squad, which only had a 2.4multi, short legs for a non sequel, and saying that it's only making money because of hype is freaking hilarious. Hype only helped it's opening weekend. If hype went beyond that then Batman V Superman would have made 1.2 billion worldwide. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol even when a movie's a surprise smash he still tries to discredit it. There is no making him happy, really.

the boy is big mad whenever a smaller movie is a big hit because he can't ad nauseam repeat the old "people don't go to the cinema to see these movies they only wanna pay for spectacle" line.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Have we had a film perform like this in the past 3 years or so?

The Greatest Showman and Jumanji 2 not even a year ago. Yes they were released in the holidays but their holds were still extraordinary. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the boy is big mad whenever a smaller movie is a big hit because he can't ad nauseam repeat the old "people don't go to the cinema to see these movies they only wanna pay for spectacle" line.

I'm sure he'll blame Liberal Hollywood for brainwashing people into thinking they're "progressive" for seeing the movie in the coming weeks so don't worry.

Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
January 2.88 2.66 July 3.30 3.22
February 2.81 2.73 August 3.22 3.00
March 3.02 2.89 September 2.87 2.75
April 2.76 2.65 October 3.02 2.75
May 2.95 2.82 November 3.43 3.23
June 3.13 3.01 December 5.45 4.76
all (1025 movies) 3.21 2.93
excludes 2018 releases
highest month in blue; lowest month in red

numbers from top openings (2008-2017) as of August 16, 2018

Movie 90% of
Gross
on Day
Multiplier
(DG ÷ FW)
Domestic
Gross
First
Weekend
Release
Month
Box Office
Position
Crazy Rich Asians* TBD 2.90 $76.8M $26.5M Aug. 2018
Suicide Squad 30 2.43 $325.1M $133.7M Aug. 2016
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle 54 11.18 $404.5M $36.2M Dec. 2017

* still in theaters / numbers not final / projected numbers from Deadline.com

CRA is kind of like "Jumanji 2 in August" might end up being a better comparison... (Jumanji 2 made more money than the first weekend in its second weekend during the holiday break and third weekend; CRA won't have that environment in August.)

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

The Greatest Showman and Jumanji 2 not even a year ago. Yes they were released in the holidays but their holds were still extraordinary. 

Thanks. Next week will also be very interesting for CRA.

31 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I haven't paid much attention to the awards race this year, but maybe Supporting Actress has a shot? I believe the only real contenders at the moment are Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams, and one of The Favourite women. Michelle Yeoh could sneak her way in.

Constance Wu's almost guaranteed for Comedy Actress at the Globes.

I feel like Awkwafina might be a stronger push.  She legit STOLE that film.  

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure he'll blame Liberal Hollywood for brainwashing people into thinking they're "progressive" for seeing the movie in the coming weeks so don't worry.

“Why would you want watch a movie like that in theaters?  I’ll just pirate it.”