NickDisney13

1917 | Christmas 2019 limited, Jan 10 2020 wide | Universal | 19th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/sam-mendes-1917-wwi-director-1202849690/

Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Partners has won a spec package auction and will finance World War I film “1917” with Sam Mendes on board to direct.

The film will begin production next April, for a U.S. release in December 2019 with Universal distributing the pic. Mendes wrote the original script, which marks his first writing credit, with Krysty Wilson-Cairns and will also produce with his Neal Street Productions partner Pippa Harris.

“Our company has been a home for Sam since his first film” said Steven Spielberg. “I am so happy to have him back here in his old room spinning new stories – especially this hugely daring and ambitious new movie.”

Aside from the film being set during World War I, story details are being kept under wraps.

“I couldn’t be happier to be back working with Amblin and Steven Spielberg again, alongside Donna Langley and all at Universal. I’ve been working on this script for over a year, so it’s very exciting to start making the movie itself a reality.”

The film marks Mendes’ return to the big screen after directing James Bond movies “Skyfall” and “Spectre” back to back. Mendes has since been working in the London theater scene, most recently helming the London stage production of “The Ferryman.”

• Like 1

Still want to know exactly what the film will be about. World War One in 1917 covers a lot of possibilities. Anything from the Russian Revlution to "Bloody Wipers" (Third battle of Ypres..one of the worst bloodbaths of the war).

Edited by dudalb

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Still want to know exactly what the film will be about. World War One in 1917 covers a lot of possibilities. Anything from the Russian Revlution to "Bloody Wipers" (Third battle of Ypres..one of the worst bloodbaths of the war).

21 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

There will be mud. Will there be chickens?

@Christmas baumer

Didn't something happen in Aquaba?

@Telemachos

:thinking: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I reckon that this and Little Women will be the two “on paper” favorites for awards predictions.  Then when they release, neither of them hit strong enough and miss the Oscars.

I dunno; sometimes the on-paper favorites really do strike it rich, at least when it comes to nominations (Dunkirk, 12 Years a Slave, etc). I'm definitely rooting for both, but it certainly could go either direction.

34 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I reckon that this and Little Women will be the two “on paper” favorites for awards predictions.  Then when they release, neither of them hit strong enough and miss the Oscars.

On paper, this seems like an awards contender we’ll really know for sure next December