NickDisney13

1917 | Christmas 2019 limited, Jan 10 2020 wide | Universal | 19th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I'm interested, but this movie will show Nolan's power at the BO. This film will do peanuts compared to Dunkirk

Nolan is my favorite director but this movie will be better than Dunkirk also many people are saying this is the frontrunner for BP this year

3 minutes ago, SMmadrid90 said:

Nolan is my favorite director but this movie will be better than Dunkirk also many people are saying this is the frontrunner for BP this year

The long-shot gimmick already makes the movie worse than Dunkirk though. And at this point, every movie is a frontrunner for BP lmao.

3 minutes ago, SMmadrid90 said:

I don't think this'll get the critical reception that Dunkirk got; that was at a 94 on Metacritic. Highest of any 2017 film

On 11/18/2019 at 6:07 AM, lorddemaxus said:

I mean Nolan didn't create war movies or anything but Mendes really seems like a Nolan wannabe. He got Hoytema and Smith for Spectre too right after Interstellar released. I wonder how many people are gonna think this is legit a sequel to Dunkirk?

Why on earth would somebody think a WW1 movie would be a sequel to a WW2 movie?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

The long-shot gimmick already makes the movie worse than Dunkirk though. And at this point, every movie is a frontrunner for BP lmao.

That's your opinion, the long-shot is getting a lot of praise and other Oscar-bait movies are getting more mixed reviews. Anyway Mendes and Nolan are both great

42 minutes ago, SMmadrid90 said:

That's your opinion, the long-shot is getting a lot of praise and other Oscar-bait movies are getting more mixed reviews. Anyway Mendes and Nolan are both great

The one-take gimmick is getting praise the same way Birdman's did a few years back and just like that movie, people will end up thinking it's a gimmick.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

If you took the tweets from Dunkirk and 1917 and swapped out any specific name references, they'd read pretty much identically, haha.

Yeah, the critics were super high on Dunkirk when it opened, then cooled on it later in the year. If 1917 gives voters an "emotional arc" along with being technically dazzling, it could go very far in the Oscar race. IMO, that's what tripped up Dunkirk with awards, Nolan made the movie he wanted to make but voters felt like they didn't care about the characters.

Hacksaw Ridge got a ton of nominations the year before Dunkirk as well so clearly a portion of the Academy are still crazy about a well-made old-fashioned war movie. If this gets a reception similar to either of those movies I'd expect a lot of Oscar love for this.

• Like 1