CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Title    Previews    OW    Previews/OW

Ant-Man and the Wasp    $11.5     $75.8     15.2%

Avengers: Infinity War    $39.0     $257.7     15.1%

Black Panther    $25.2     $202.0     12.5%

Thor: Ragnarok    $14.5     $122.7     11.8%

Spider-Man: Homecoming    $15.4     $117.0     13.2%

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2    $17.0     $146.5     11.6%

Doctor Strange    $9.4     $85.1     11.0%

Captain America: Civil War    $25.0     $179.1     14.0%

Ant-Man    $6.4     $57.2     11.2%

Avengers: Age of Ultron    $27.6     $191.3     14.4%

Guardians of the Galaxy    $11.2     $94.3     11.9%

Captain America: The Winter Soldier    $10.2     $95.0     10.7%

TASM2    $8.7     $91.6     9.5%

DP2    $18.6     $125.5     14.8%

DP    $12.7     $132.4     9.6%

Logan    $9.5     $88.4     10.7%

Apocalypse    $8.0     $65.8     12.2%

DOFP    $8.1     $90.8     8.9%

JL    $13.0     $93.8     13.9%

WW    $11.0     $103.3     10.7%

SS    $20.5     $133.7     15.3%

BvS    $27.7     $166.0     16.7%

Did any of those previews start at 5 though?

20 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What is Gitesh thinking?

Anyway, great numbers for both. October is off to an exciting start for sure.

Gitesh seems very cautious about the opening of these two blockbusters. His prediction for Venom is in 40s and ASIB is in 30s. He might just to be on the safe side. Last year BR2049 was a disappointment.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I imagine the first weekend of October is now going to eyed as  a potential slot for comic book films

It's been a great slot the past few years. Gravity, Gone Girl, and The Martian were all big hits. The Girl on the Train and Blade Runner 2049 didn't live up to expectations set by any of the aforementioned three but did alright (well, maybe Blade Runner didn't with its budget). Next year should continue the trend with Joker (Will Smith/Ang Lee's Gemini Man and Amy Adams/Joe Wright's The Woman in the Window are also slated for that weekend and have potential but I'm guessing one of them will move).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine the first weekend of October is now going to eyed as  a potential slot for comic book films

not a superhero slot tho, the world has enough superheroes. after joker as well it's gonna be the baddie weekend.😈😈😈

• Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's been a great slot the past few years. Gravity, Gone Girl, and The Martian were all big hits. The Girl on the Train and Blade Runner 2049 didn't live up to expectations set by any of the aforementioned three but did alright (well, maybe Blade Runner didn't with its budget). Next year should continue the trend with Joker (Will Smith/Ang Lee's Gemini Man and Amy Adams/Joe Wright's The Woman in the Window are also slated for that weekend and have potential but I'm guessing one of them will move).

I'll be interested to see how Jungle Cruise does next year in the second week of October. 

October while not a huge month and its yet to have a $100m opener does have its fair share of hits, who'd thought Jackass 3D would open to $50m for example You compare to January or September which have had big successes like American Sniper or It but October is more consistent

With $10M, I'm gonna struggle to believe Venom doesn't go $70M+ - holiday weekend is gonna inflate Sunday, and all the presale deals (along with ticket subscriptions) will have people already locked in for the weekend.  

Nice to see a non-official Marvel movie break out...hopefully, I'll still feel that way after I see this Saturday:)...

Next week's runtimes w/out credits and attachments:

First Man: 2:14. Marwen, Green Book, and Mortal Engines (NEW TRAILER) are attachments

Goosebumps 2: 1:24. Attachments unknown (Probably just Spiderverse and maybe A Dog's Way Home)

Nothing yet for El Royale, but we probably will get something soon.

• Like 1