Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, that wouldn't be far from the truth...it's been a bad year for supers...with (IMHO) 2 still flawed movies being the best of the bunch and the rest being below average to atrocious (hi Morbius and Thor)...

I think they’ve been decent. Probably in line with reactions. Nothing that will stand out with the rest of time though. And these reactions are definitely above anything else we’ve seen this year. People are wanting to create controversy due to dislike of IP, or wanting to dethrone the king of the castle, or whatever other reason they’re conjuring up. Fact of the matter is that this will absolutely rock every other cbm at the box office this year, will be widely loved by general audiences. 

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, that wouldn't be far from the truth...it's been a bad year for supers...with (IMHO) 2 still flawed movies being the best of the bunch and the rest being below average to atrocious (hi Morbius and Thor)...

Every single cbm is flawed. Flawed doesnt mean bad

18 minutes ago, Jeight said:

Every single cbm is flawed. Flawed doesnt mean bad

Look man...or whoever you are -- people have at one point or another called every single piece of art "flawed."  This term delineates nothing and adds nothing to the conversation.  If you see films adapted from comic books as immediately "flawed" from their outset, then I'd say that's a problem you/we have with the genre as a whole.  Nothing says any movie can't move beyond its "childish" origins, but as we know, many comic books in decades-since also dealt with very adult material.  Judge the movie as it is -- what it does in its world and how it makes you feel -- regardless of its origins.  This kind of statement is no better than the people who come out of movies (still, to this day, 120 years later!) saying "the book was better."  And if you're saying *that*... then you inherently believe film/movies are flawed from their outset -- and if you're saying *that*... then I really have nothing else to talk with you about.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

Has anyone checked eman 's movie reaction. Man looked wrecked, it's like he wanted to love the movie so much but just couldn't. His face said it all.

Take nothing away from the reactions ,they are still solid for now. Let see what reviews bring, Thor 4 was a shock.

But have never seen dissapointement like that on a man's face.

• Haha 1

I don't have much hope for this movie because *gestures at my thoughts on the MCU* but people are seriously complaining it's "too sad?" Are they five? How emotionally stunted have the jokes in these movies made people?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

There were a couple of "best MCU ever" but the overall consensus is "best MCU in phase 4" equating to best since at least Endgame.

Heavy on emotion (we knew that-good to see it's been officially noted).

Great acting (nice to see).

Maybe a tad bit long (okay).

Visually stunning (blah blah blah)

Good story (we've seen that several times if not on most-that's the most promising).

Best credit scene ever (intriguing-gonna try VERY hard not to spoil myself).

I'd be more curious as to its comparison to Shang Chi than to NWH. Seems like it blows past MoM and ThLT which we already assumed.

Not expecting the best MCU ever but it could rank top 5. The best 3 IMHO are BP, IM1, and EG.

Are we ranking the MCU? Cause umm

tumblr_pu4di38Zyf1r4q876o5_400.gif

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Has anyone checked eman 's movie reaction. Man looked wrecked, it's like he wanted to love the movie so much but just couldn't. His face said it all.

Take nothing away from the reactions ,they are still solid for now. Let see what reviews bring, Thor 4 was a shock.

No surprise. He's basically the leader of the #RecastTChalla movement.

Edited by LVB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 of the most impactful characters on pop culture of the millennium, Heath's Joker and Chadwick's Black Panther, never getting a true encore performance will always be a historic injustice from the film gods. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, XXXVIIR said:

Are they, tho? Barely more than The Batman and less than Shang Chi. I think the BP franchise lends itself to less upfront hype than other MCU fair.  

Part of The Batman's higher OW/DOM ratio were due to the hole WB/DC had dug itself, and people being reluctant to get "fooled" again. It wasn't until reviews dropped that ticket sales really took off, and even then it took people actually going to see it and WOM kicking in to get even more people off the fence, leading to a -50% second weekend, before settling into mid 40% drops weekly from there on out. Batman's legs from second full week were slightly below MoM and L&T (2.17 vs 2.26 & 2.33, with SC the high end outlier at 2.53x)

Even with the perception in MCU quality drop-off and loss of titular star, there's probably too much hype here for that many people to be on the fence, and we're likely going to see a >60% week 2 drop, which limits the OW/DOM ratio. (For reference, Nov openers Ragnarok was 2.27x and Eternals was a low outlier at 2.18x, but BPWF's second full week will include Thanksgiving, so no apples to apples comp)

I mean I have seen a few mixed ones but the majority have been pretty positive so i don’t think it matters much, even with the mixed ones I’d be shocked if any turned into rottens. Seems like this is a pretty safe bet for a good score this time. 

Edited by cax16

25 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I mean anyone who is on the recast T'Challa train is just not gonna like this movie from the start.

• Like 1