aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

1 hour ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

It looks like it will fall short of 80 million.  Maybe 78 or so.  

Even so, between Venom, Halloween, and ASIB, 2018 October has been absolutely phenomenal! And will most likely keep this October in the record books for a long, long time!

And a 7th installment of a 40 year old horror franchise opening north of $80M is just....:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Kudos to you @Dr Loomis baumer for predicting it before the hype began! Most of us didn't think it was ever going to open that high!!👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So -16% Saturday including previews, that’s great news. I thought fan rush might’ve pushed it to 20-25%. 

~$78m means it’ll be the best opening weekend ever for its genre, including adjusted, and beating the current record by $38m.

• Like 1

More and more we are seeing that you can open a movie people want to see at any point and it can do great. 

Not only that, that multiple hits can do great business together in a perceived lesser month - even in a month like October. 

Halloween’s opening is incredible. And I thought people were watching Daredevil this weekend! 

The weekend estimates will look like a summer one - great stuff 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

More and more we are seeing that you can open a movie people want to see at any point and it can do great. 

Not only that, that multiple hits can do great business together in a perceived lesser month - even in a month like October. 

Halloween’s opening is incredible. And I thought people were watching Daredevil this weekend! 

The weekend estimates will look like a summer one - great stuff 

I mean.. it's spooktober and the movie is a horror called Halloween, I don't think you can apply your logic to other movies.

7 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Even if Halloween falls just short of the October record, this is still an incredible opening for an R-rated slasher film. This month is on fire, but we'll see how November and December will hold up. Last year those two months were huge.

I don't feel too bad about December. They've thrown so much shit at the wall there that some of it is bound to stick. But yeah, November not gonna be quite as spicy. Should do well enough but can't see it rising above 2017/16.

Still, the lead 2018 is building up so far should more than make up for any Nov/Dec declines. Already almost a billion ahead of where it was in 2017.

Year Gross* 2018
% change
% change
% change
% change
% change
% change
2018 $9,424.2 - +10.7% +5.2% +8.2% +13.9% +9.5%
2017 $8,516.1 -9.6% - -4.9% -2.3% +2.9% -1.1%
2016 $8,957.4 -5.0% +5.2% - +2.8% +8.3% +4.1%
2015 $8,713.5 -7.5% +2.3% -2.7% - +5.3% +1.2%
2014 $8,274.7 -12.2% -2.8% -7.6% -5.0% - -3.9%
2013 $8,608.2 -8.7% +1.1% -3.9% -1.2% +4.0% -
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Gotham Bank said:

I mean.. it's spooktober and the movie is a horror called Halloween, I don't think you can apply your logic to other movies.

Sure. Yet what I’m saying is we’ve big openings and successes in what’s going to be a record breaking month. 

This month is yet another example of a change in how the months of the year play out at the box office. 

• Like 3

Hal18, Venom, Ant2 and Solo all had close ows. Solo had a great Sunday due to Mem Day weekend and got the biggest ow of the 4 but that also gave it a weak multiplier. 77-79 ow and Solo's legs will take Hal18 to 195-200 dom.

Edited by a2k

Great numbers for Halloween and the most of the holdovers. Thinking it’ll fall short of the record, especially without IMAX and 3D, or the holiday on Monday that helped Venom/ASIB. Shame about that, but can’t deny the impressive numbers. 

• Haha 1