MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Whenever I am bored I watch one of Grace Randolph's controversial reviews or box office analysis, she is unintentionally very funny 😶

I think her box office analysis are better than Scott Mendelson takes, i always find this ironic because he is the one working on Forbes.

Speaking about him, he just posted about SC, another one saying the movie is way better than the trailers. I wonder what is happening on Disney marketing department, this is an ""original IP"" inside of MCU, it should get better trailers to sell it. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think this is kinda expected.

Phase 4 to me was always supposed to be difficult because you can clearly see the "end" of a big arc with EG. Now they're doing pretty much what they did when MCU begun, which is develop new characters and present new arcs, just in a way bigger environment because now Marvel is stablished in a way they wasn't in 2008-2011.

They still have olders characters in the mix helping to mask this feeling that their reseting things to create another big arc that will make everyone excited in 5 years, but ultimatelly this is what they're doing, and starting new arcs is never exciting the way epic endings are for most people.

Another thing I’m not too personally invested in is the multiverse element. Of course Spider-Man 3 will be a major hit and it’ll be nostalgic seeing Tobey again, but it just doesn’t excite me the same way. We had that with Spiderverse and Flash is doing that with Keaton. But I totally recognize I’m in minority since Loki and Wandavision were hits. But I don’t know, I hope Shang-Chi is actually good and fun because that and Eternals just felt redundant without the novelty factor of Phase 1. You can already imagine hem regurgitating the MCU formula that’s been well-worn for over a decade, And of course, more hits for diversity, the better. 

I’m down for whenever X-Men happens though!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah looking at reactions have made me more excited but mn such reactions can create massive expectations and we are left sort of dissapointed.

Remember Black panther, the movie was fine,kill monger was good in the role but it was no where near the best comic movie or even one of best marvel movies. Reviews were to high .88% metacritic bugs me to this day.

Best movie since logan?

Martial arts like the fucking raid???

Reactions are better than BW which is good sign . Scott menzel giving this a positive raises my curiosity abit.

Will come around DS reviews range -95%  and   70 metacritic.

At the end of the day the audience  will decide

Critic reactions  can over hype movies so much these days.

I mean those two lines came from the same person... Campea, you cannot judge all the critics for a couple of them.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think her box office analysis are better than Scott Mendelson takes, i always find this ironic because he is the one working on Forbes.

Speaking about him, he just posted about SC, another one saying the movie is way better than the trailers. I wonder what is happening on Disney marketing department, this is an ""original IP"" inside of MCU, it should get better trailers to sell it. 

I think most films have had terrible marketing this year regardless of studio. The WB/HBO MAX marketing in particular. That might just be an overreaction on my part but seems like since theater re-openings, studios are underselling their films. Nobody expected the Free Guy reaction based off those trailers 

Maybe marketing teams and trailer houses are different, I don’t know 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 2

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think most films have had terrible marketing this year regardless of studio. The WB/HBO MAX marketing in particular. That might just be an overreaction on my part but seems like since theater re-openings, studios are underselling their films. Nobody expected the Free Guy reaction based off those trailers 

WB trailers are been ridiculous for some time now. They are working with one trailer only for any movie that isn't a blockbuster. When your whole campaign will have just one trailer their must be great, and they are being average at best.

Even the blockbusters with more trailers is being pretty meh. The only great trailers they cut this year for me was GxK and Dune trailers. 

Disney the same thing, they didn't drop a single movie with bad reviews this year but still all of them have at least 1 average trailer.

Guy who has only seen the “guy who has only seen  Boss Baby” memes, encountering another comparison:

45 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Got a lot of "Guy who has only seen The Boss Baby, watching his second movie: Getting a lot of 'Boss Baby' vibes from this" vibes.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If Shang-Chi has received this surprising response, I feel like these same critics are going to go nuts over Eternals. Whether or not that leads to “overrated”, that movie will probably end up a massive hit 

Well Eternals has been hyped to be "overrated" even before this with Oscar talks and everything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

But Ant-Man was the first family film. Those Scott/Cassie scenes tug at my bitter old heart.

I kinda wished that they keep young Cassie around but I can understand with YA and stuff it was impossible. Also the Adult Cassie that we had in Endgame looks more like Paul Rudd daughter than we will have in AM3 , let's see how their relationship goes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah I know they are from him. Just giving an example of how reactions can be overhyped at times.

It’s not the critic’s prerogative to hold someone’s hands. You have to take them for what they are: first person subjective reactions, fueled by their lives/environments/etc. 

i do this all the time whenever e latest “elevated horror” (or any A24 movie in general) gets praised. I’m sure they might feature good framing/acting/whatever but also praised by some who are snobbish regarding genre fare, especially horror. Doesn’t stop me from appreciating something like Hereditary or whatever, but I have to measure take this stuff from them.

With MCU or spandex films in general, marks like me are more likely to enjoy this than not using odds. I’m sure it’s decent at least (last MCU movie I had no use for was IM2) so I’d it’s better than that? Cool. If not, I’m the poorest millionaire.