John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

The critical reaction to Glass is what infuriates me about the modern average score obsession. 

Glass - whatever you think of it - is a movie to talk about.  It might not go how you think or want it to go, but it goes where M Night wanted it to go....discuss. A score makes people’s minds up as to whether to go or not, when if they actually READ a ton of these reviews they’d see it might be worth their time to go make their own minds up. 

Too many films are perceived as great by an audience as they’re like 80% plus on RT. When in fact the reviews for those movies can be ‘yeah it’s solid - i’d give it a 3/5’. That’s the case for most event movies actually. 

Then something more polarising and interesting comes along - they see 35% and think it can’t be as good as Ant-Man and the Wasp - pass. 

It sucks. I hate these percentages man. Such a false narrative. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I need Aquaman's international numbers. 

Same here ... I mean, is it really gonna get within striking distance of Civil War's 1.15 ... I still think it's gonna end up 15-20 million short, but I guess we'll see.

Just an great run even OS-China

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Same here ... I mean, is it really gonna get within striking distance of Civil War's 1.15 ... I still think it's gonna end up 15-20 million short, but I guess we'll see.

Just an great run even -China

Unless it breaks out in Japan I agree. 

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The critical reaction to Glass is what infuriates me about the modern average score obsession. 

Glass - whatever you think of it - is a movie to talk about.  It might not go how you think or want it to go, but it goes where M Night wanted it to go....discuss. A score makes people’s minds up as to whether to go or not, when if they actually READ a ton of these reviews they’d see it might be worth their time to go make their own minds up. 

Too many films are perceived as great by an audience as they’re like 80% plus on RT. When in fact the reviews for those movies can be ‘yeah it’s solid - i’d give it a 3/5’. That’s the case for most event movies actually. 

Then something more polarising and interesting comes along - they see 35% and think it can’t be as good as Ant-Man and the Wasp - pass. 

It sucks. I hate these percentages man. Such a false narrative. 

100%  This is a fantastic breakdown of the movie.

• Like 1

"After opening on Wednesday to a stunning $7 million, the movie earned an estimated $10 million-$14 million for the four-day holiday. That puts its six-day debut north of $20 million, already one of the best showings of all time for the Dragon Ball series of films (Broly is the 20th).

Dragon Ball Super is in a potentially close race with Aquaman for No. 3. Monday grosses will determine the exact order."

$10-14 million is a bit of a wide range for an estimate for 4 days isn't it?

• Like 3