John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Critics didn't hurt the opening, it is the audiences that agree with the critics that hurt the most.

I mean they absolutely have an effect. How much of an effect? Who knows. But they do alter how the public sees a film.

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Glass isn't a franchise blockbuster?

Glass has budget of $20M. It’ll make like $200M+ WW which is great for it but I don’t consider that a blockbuster movie tbh 

Edited by Nova

21 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Man 47 4 day seems like such a dissapointment if we go back a few weeks where people were talking 60-70+.

No need to even go back a few weeks, Hollywood Reported said on Wednesday that industry tracking was $60-70m. 

Universal were expecting at least $50m according to Deadline, trying to be conservative. 

Not a flop by any means, it cost $20m, but certainly underwhelming. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Is this gonna cross 100M? I mean, it has no competition, after all...... sure, there will be comedies coming out in February, but this is clearly aimed at a different audience than those.

Once again, think for a moment that it didn't have a lot of marketing whatsoever, Kevin Hart has this controversy around him and it's distributed by STX, a still relatively new indie who came off of an absolutely horrendous 2018. Sure, STX already had Bad Moms cross 100M and some other hits here or there, but they're still kind of not a very big deal. Imagine if this had the same marketing push as a Ride Along and Kevin Hart was a hot commodity going into the would-be Oscar gig..... this shit would be going to maybe 120-130 DOM.

It’s hard to say whether the reviews tampered the enthusiasm for Glass or if its appeal was just really overestimated to begin with (Unbreakable came out almost 20 years ago - and got a tepid reception upon release only to achieve cult status later - and Split was a one-and-done if you took away the last 30 seconds of that movie). Either way, it’s a fine opening. I doubt it’s gonna have good legs after seeing it though.

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I find a decent way to gauge an audience's reaction is how quickly they leap out from their seats when the credits hit. Probably a good combo of "That sucked" and "That was way too long, I need to take a raging piss."

My audience had no response to the movie aside from the occasional laughs at McAvoy’s more over the top personalities. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It’s hard to say whether the reviews tampered the enthusiasm for Glass or if its appeal was just really overestimated to begin with (Unbreakable came out almost 20 years ago - and got a tepid reception upon release only to achieve cult status later - and Split was a one-and-done if you took away the last 30 seconds of that movie). Either way, it’s a fine opening. I doubt it’s gonna have good legs after seeing it though.

I will say as a fan of Unbreakable ... I didn't rush to see it like I would have with better reception. 

• Like 1