Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

44 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Well, as mentioned by Coolio, it didn't really matter in Dunkirk, but there were certainly lines I couldn't make out the first time or two. Usually Tom Hardy or Mark Rylance.

But given how Tenet seems to be very exposition heavy, that's gonna be a problem given how many people seem to be walking away kind of confused.

Don't think it's a problem here. I've seen quite a few people mention that the movie literally says "don't try to understand it, feel it". I think people are caring more about the exposition in this film than Nolan himself does. It was a problem with Interstellar for me because it's a pretty character heavy film (at least compared to the rest of his films).

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Don't think it's a problem here. I've seen quite a few people mention that the movie literally says "don't try to understand it, feel it". I think people are caring more about the exposition in this film than Nolan himself does. It was a problem with Interstellar for me because it's a pretty character heavy film (at least compared to the rest of his films).

I see that, but I also see a lot of people say it detracted them from feeling it to their fullest potential because of that. Maybe it won't be a problem for me personally but it doesn't seem like an isolated issue either from the early word so far. Nolan may not expect you to care that much but if people are feeling confused, then it's a valid response.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Reading the reviews, this was the feeling I got and will probably turn off a lot people including ardent Chris Nolan fans but this sounds like the perfect movie for me.

Who's making the Nolan's Blackhat over 100m in China Club.

• Haha 1

The last Nolan's film that I truly enjoyed was Inception, every subsequent films was a downhill from there, except maybe Dunkirk , where he managed to down tone his self-absorbed and trying too hard to act cool direction, and  fanboys bait

anyway, I managed to convince few to watch IMAX with me in the name of support cinematic experience, Nolan is one of the most respected director after all   .  

Cracking me up reading some having a problem following the movie, and blaming the movie.

Hasn’t this guy earned the benefit of the doubt that his narratives are wonderfully intricate puzzle boxes, that are meant to be debated and put together over multiple viewings? 

Anybody going in not expecting to have a challenge on their hands to follow it has never seen a Chris Nolan film (the non Batman ones). 

It might leave us with questions after viewing one, but you can bet the answers are all in there. 

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, if I have this right, detractors are saying that the movie has a lot of exposition, but that it’s still difficult to understand what’s going on?

Pretty much. They needed it explained to them, but then they complain there’s too much exposition - but they still couldn’t follow it? 

ok then!

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Pretty much. They needed it explained to them, but then they complain there’s too much exposition - but they still couldn’t follow it? 

ok then!

I don’t really understand this idea that Christopher Nolan movies are difficult to follow. Most of his post-Batman movies are very much made with a mass audience in mind. It’s not like he’s David Lynch. 

32 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

ok then!

I loved it, but seriously it’s massive exposition dumps that you can’t really hear in parts for the first hour or so. It’s one thing not understanding plot points in a Nolan film initially, but its frustrating being literally not able to hear why things are happening when they are trying to explain. My friend checked out of the movie because of it so I understand. I’d still rank it near the top of best Nolan films for how insane everything else is but it is an issue for the movie. 

Edited by Gcsin20
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gcsin20 said:

I loved it, but seriously it’s massive exposition dumps that you can’t really hear in parts for the first hour or so. It’s one thing not understanding plot points in a Nolan film initially, but its frustrating being literally not able to hear why things are happening when they are trying to explain. My friend checked out of the movie because of it so I understand. I’d still rank it near the top of best Nolan films for how insane everything else is but it is an issue for the movie. 

Interesting. I’m seeing it in LieMax on Wednesday. 

Based on his other movies I’ve never had a problem hearing 99% of the dialogue. I’ve definitely never come out of one and even commented on it. 
I can certainly say that I can recall moments where it could have been clearer, but I’ve always understood what’s being said. 

am concerned with what you’re saying though for sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Outside of some of Bane’s dialogue, the only other time I really recall having trouble understanding what a character in a Nolan film is saying is when Michael Caine’s character in Interstellar passes away.

I couldn’t hear him in IMAX and then I saw it again later in a regular theater and wish I still hadn’t heard him. 

• Haha 5