Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

1 minute ago, chuck0 said:

i think it is interesting that the movie is underperforming like this in latin america (though i guess as you said, usually only animation for kids does big bussiness there so it is expected? ). Iron City is located somewhere in central america (moved there from the US) and Rodrigez explicitly stated that he wanted to add a bit of a hispanic flair to the setting. I have only been to Santiago for a few days, but at least from that limited experience Rodrigez kept his word there.

Well, for one, they are not playing the location in the marketing at all. I had no idea about the location until now (kinda like Ant-Man, I didn't know they had a Hispanic character until someone mentioned it in this forum).

Latin America BO is dominated by families, is true, but an important factor is that I least in Chile (and I think in other countries as well given the consistent results) is that while animation is still seen as something for "kids", there's no shame for adults in going to see something like How to Train your Dragon or Ice Age. I've seen plenty of people and couples without kids in animated screenings (even in freaking Teen Titans Go to The Movies) 

As for Alita, it was just banter honestly, is doing better than I thought it would do and will win in gross thanks to a heavy 3d push. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Show me where I have been negative on this thread Timmy. I don't note when the film has a bad opening or whatever either. And why shouldn't I want Alita to fail (just to make it clear, I don't want it to fail)? Is it because a lot of people on this forum like the movie?

I'll make better use of my time, you know what you've been doing, not just here but on other threads in the international section related to Alita's gross. You do this all the time but I don't expect you to admit it, it's your shtick after all. "Why shouldn't I want Alita to fail"? (not convinced that you don't or your behavior shows the opposite of your "intentions"). Because this is an "original" IP, because this is Jim Cameron's passion project that him and Robert Rodriguez lovingly brought to life, because him and Rodriguez are great guys, because the source material is great, because it's incredible that we're seeing a Battle Angel film with that budget on the big screen, because it takes balls to do this with no guarantee that it'll be profitable, because those kinds of films with incredible passion, gusto and talent behind it NEED to be championed and show that no only superhero films and IPs are destined to make money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I'd love to see the headlines state "Alita Charms Her Way To The Top Of The Box-Office" because that's exactly what she did. 

Very true! Aside from Cameron's involvement, which is obviously important. The fact that this film clearly has heart in it, and the fact Alita is such a charming character, might be the reasons that the film is avoiding a GITS, Valerian, Jupiter Ascending type of end result!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I'll make better use of my time, you know what you've been doing, not just here but on other threads in the international section related to Alita's gross. You do this all the time but I don't expect you to admit it, it's your shtick after all. "Why shouldn't I want Alita to fail"? (not convinced that you don't or your behavior shows the opposite of your "intentions"). Because this is an "original" IP, because this is Jim Cameron's passion project that him and Robert Rodriguez lovingly brought to life, because him and Rodriguez are great guys, because the source material is great, because it's incredible that we're seeing a Battle Angel film with that budget on the big screen, because it takes balls to do this with no guarantee that it'll be profitable, because those kinds of films with incredible passion, gusto and talent behind it NEED to be championed and show that no only superhero films and IPs are destined to make money.

No, I don't know what I have been doing. If you want to accuse me of slandering the movie or whatever, go ahead. The fact is I haven't and you have nothing that shows I have. I have made some jokes about the movie in the past but they are nothing other than jokes. What I did say is that the movie will lose money and that it won't make a billion or even make more than Ant-Man and the Wasp (and it won't achieve the latter two). I never wanted the movie to fail and I never said I did. 

And I assure you that most of the superhero films (that make money) are made with the same kind of passion that Cameron and Rodriguez put into the film. And where was this sort of reaction for Mortal Engines or Ready Player One? Or the smaller films that deserve more recognition than this film that will still be seen by tens of millions even if it does flop? I don't want the movie to fail but this is the sort of stuff I can't get behind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 3