Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Can't wait to see Ralph collapse to like 200k next weekend with a ~199.3 cume and then have crawl to 200 for another month. That kinda shit is reliably funny

Captain Marvel and Dumbo are around the corner so Disney's accounting team is about to have another field day.

8 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

"Ridiculously high costs"? How, the money is right there on the screen. Alita is doing well, probably as well as it could possibly have without Jim directing it, it's just reality? I don't know, I'm grateful it exists and let's cross our fingers that a sequel happens down the line. Hell, if Pacific Rim can get a sequel or Fury Road (rumored to get one), why can't this? 

Pac Rim was Legendary's baby, who pushed for it all the way against their better judgment. It shouldn't have been made tbh. They banked on China exploding more for it and that didn't happen.

As for Fury Road, to make it work you'd bank on running into less production issues than the last one, and the critical reception to enjoy a nice bump. Fury Road also missed out on a China release. WB has less franchises to work with overall and they're certainly a little more open to throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks compared to the likes of Disney, neither a good or bad thing in and of itself. Disney could make an Alita sequel, but spending 150-200m on a movie like Alita to make maybe 400-500m WW when they can use that on their current stable (live action remakes, Marvel, animation) just seems like a big opportunity cost for them in the end. WB isn't in the same kind of position to do that.

I don't want to say it's totally impossible, but it's in a pretty different situation than the other two. It's a profit battle as much as it is a studio battle to make it worth Disney's time.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

So Aquaman is now 6.4 million short of Iron Man 3 for largest overseas total for solo superhero film.  Coming off 7 million week, should get it with a million or two to spare.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $331,371,102    29.3%
Foreign:  $799,400,000    70.7%

Worldwide:  $1,130,771,102  
Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

That's a really strong Saturday for Alita.  While I mostly enjoyed it, I'm glad to see Rodriguez make something good for a change.  He has been on a losing streak for a (long)while and I'll be very curious to see what he can do next. 

1. El Mariachi

2. Desperado

3. Alita

4.The Faculty

• Like 2

For a minute there Cold War looked like it might become the first foreign-language platform awards player in ages to break 10m (IIRC A Separation's 7.7m is the recent peak here?), too bad it won't pan out. Maybe they shouldn't have given it its biggest theater expansion on a deflated weekend idk. 

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Disney could make an Alita sequel, but spending 150-200m on a movie like Alita to make maybe 400-500m WW when they can use that on their current stable (live action remakes, Marvel, animation) just seems like a big opportunity cost for them in the end.

One more thing, according to THR Disney will be releasing only 4-5 films a year theatrically from the Fox branch.

And pretty sure Fury Road being the biggest Oscar contender of 2015 helped get it (maybe) a sequel (it won more awards than any other film in 2015 and maybe even this whole decade).

Just now, filmlover said:

Green Book could reach $80M+ if it ends up winning the big prize next weekend.

I refuse this timeline unless Viggo goes on stage with the crew to eat an entire pizza like a sandwich

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

One more thing, according to THR Disney will be releasing only 4-5 films a year theatrically from the Fox branch.

And pretty sure Fury Road being the biggest Oscar contender of 2015 helped get it (maybe) a sequel (it won more awards than any other film in 2015 and maybe even this whole decade).

Gravity won 7, Fury Road and La La Land 6.

34 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Hopefully it can hit 100mil. That won't save it but it will be better than not hitting 100mil. Just goes to show you how much better its marketing was than Mortal Engines. The lesson is, sell the lead character not the magical and strange world. People have seen these world's before, you have to sell them on something else. 

Personally, I'd say the lesson is more 'Don't schedule your movie in a crowded December with Aquaman, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins and Spider-Man.' Especially when there's a perfectly empty (live-action blockbuster-wise) February up for grabs.

Might as well do this one last time:

If Alita follows Die Hard 5's legs: 76.2M

Jumper: 86.4M

Retaliation: 92M

Ready Player One: 97.5M

There's still a slight chance at this reaching $100M. This has audience reception on par or arguably better than Ready Player One, and while that film had 3 direct competitors, the only direct competitor in the coming weeks for this is Captain Marvel.

• Like 2

LEGO1 dropped 28% in it's 2nd weekend for 130 10-day which it doubled for 260 dom.

LEGO2's 10-day is 62.6 after 38% drop and wouldn't be fair to expect it to double it for 125 and show the same legs as LEGO1. 110 looks like the target.

• Like 1