Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So how are full weekend estimates given before Sunday is even over? Are they just guessing what the Sunday number will be or will they have gotten some estimates?

They just guess. Never understand the logic behind it. 

Perhaps because weekend in rest of world is almost over by the time its Sunday in US, so they give Worldwide weekend estimate.

• Thanks 1

It feels like the marketing for Alita turned good a bit too late. Decent 5 day OW. Should end with 90M or so. We will never get a sequel and I certainly wanted one after that ending.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, CJohn said:

It feels like the marketing for Alita turned good a bit too late. Decent 5 day OW. Should end with 90M or so. We will never get a sequel and I certainly wanted one after that ending.

I could see a sequel if Avatar sequels make $2B+ and Cameron insists on it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

I could see a sequel if Avatar sequels make $2B+ and Cameron insists on it. 

That will be a long time but you know what? I'll strap on a Depends and grab my walker and shuffle my way to the theater.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

How long have you been doing the box office thing?

Been a frequent user on r/boxoffice for over a year. But I never really cared about daily numbers until I started using this forum which was a month and a half ago. Had this question for some time.

• Like 1

Sunday AM Update: Refresh for chart and more analyis: When a studio or a filmmaker builds a movie for north of $170M, the expectation is to soar to the greatest heights at the box office, and a passion project in the hands of James Cameron as producer — what studio wouldn’t double down on that, especially in an era starving for fresh franchises?

His Alita: Battle Angel, directed by Robert Rodriguez, is easily winning the Presidents Day box office, with a $27.8M 3-day and $33M and a revised 5-day of $41.7M . But the pic, despite beating its tracking and an $11.6M Saturday, +55% over Friday, is still a long way from any kind of profitability. Rival B.O. analysts believe that her domestic result at this 5-day level has a shot of hitting $100M.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-battle-angel-box-office-bomb-1202558922/

Edited by Litio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Hopefully it can hit 100mil. That won't save it but it will be better than not hitting 100mil. Just goes to show you how much better its marketing was than Mortal Engines. The lesson is, sell the lead character not the magical and strange world. People have seen these world's before, you have to sell them on something else. 

• Like 3

Damn it. Will any other studio than Disney will make $2 Billion film, now that Avatar will be of Disney as well.

I don't see DC pulling off a miracle and take their Justice League, whichever will have Darkseid to that mark.

James Cameron is all Avatar now.

Jurassic World don't has it in it now, especially after that terrible Fallen Kingdom.

Who else?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Damn it. Will any other studio than Disney will make $2 Billion film, now that Avatar will be of Disney as well.

I don't see DC pulling off a miracle and take their Justice League, whichever will have Darkseid to that mark.

James Cameron is all Avatar now.

Jurassic World don't has it in it now, especially after that terrible Fallen Kingdom.

Who else?

A Pokémon main series movie, Pikachu has a good shot at $1B WW and is likely the best thing non Disney

Shrek V and Mario are also longshots.

• Thanks 1