Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Personally, I'd say the lesson is more 'Don't schedule your movie in a crowded December with Aquaman, Bumblebee, Mary Poppins and Spider-Man.' Especially when there's a perfectly empty (live-action blockbuster-wise) February up for grabs.

The release date was fine it was 4 weeks since the Harry Potter spinoff it just looked stupid and there was nothing marketing could do to save it.

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, in a comparison to total box office, skipping the last few president's day weekends b/c the movies were much bigger (better is subjective:), looking at the same weekend setup in 2013 with similar movies, this 2019 weekend's 3 day gross for all movies is a little under $120M...2013 was a little over $141M...

The DOM BO is gonna start needing a miracle soon to catch up to any of the years of this decade in just nominal terms (forget inflation adjusting)...now, good news is we have the ending piece of 2 enormous series this year, so there's some time and room to catch up...but it's not good right now...

i wouldnt worry that much if you see the movies from march to at least august its gonna be insane with possible 3 600 milion grossers also november and december will be stronger that it was last year same from september,its just that it will start later this year and lets not forget that march was weak as fuck last year ,same goes for other months too the onlt difference is that we will have more blockbusters this year starting from march with HUGE possibilities 2019 summer seams stronger than 2018 same with september,december and november

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

now, good news is we have the ending piece of 2 enormous series this year

Endgame and what else? 

I can't think of another enormous series 😕 

Edited by feasby007
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

well star wars you can say whatever you want but it will make at least 600 million domestic

Whoops! Genuinely forgot about Ep9. 

Was fixated on Summer, didn't even think about end of year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Summer might be big enough to save the year. 

well it HAS THE POTENTIAL  also lets not forget that we have star wars and jumanji in december thiss movies alone will be bigger than decembers last year same goes with frozen 2 and november and it 2 in september ,in my opinion the weaker months this year will be january,february and october while last year was november,march and september so as you can see i dont think we should be worried it just the big money will start later while last year finished earlier

Edited by john2000

Alita did better than expected but I don't think it'll get a sequel 

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No, he is talking about the final movie in The Lego Movie series (ngl, makes me sad).

I think Lego will go on hiatus for a few years rather than disappear completely.  

Edited by Jonwo

Vice was a well put together movie but what it was trying to say was astonishingly stupid and basic and childish and immature, sums up the state of mind of the current american and western left quite perfectly to be honest.

:bravo:

Edited by The Futurist

Alita: Battle Angel seems to be doing very well! I think a $36.5M four-day bodes extremely well for the five-day. And the Sunday number could very well increase, we still don't know! The American anime community is pushing each other to see this film in theaters, so, hopefully, we see an increase. Nevertheless, Alita doing better than expected can absolutely send a clear message to the industry! Hip hip, hooray!

LEGO 2 held well! I think it'll clear past $100M, which is a good thing. I think its situation is most comparable to How To Train Your Dragon 2's situation.

I'm really happy for Isn't It Romantic because it's a quality romantic comedy--even if it's on the nose. Very happy to see its good gross.

Happy Death Day 2U and The Prodigy will both double their budgets. You can count on horror films to double their budgets, most of the time!

Congratulations to Glass for crossing $100M! Hopefully The Upside isn't too far behind--and with President's Day, I'm sure it'll achieve that at some point! This is the sleeper hit STX was needing!

I'm rooting for A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born to cross $217M because I want both of those movies to be included in the Top 10 highest grossing films of 2018. I say $217M because Ant Man & The Wasp has $216M. And for both films, that's a very likely occurrence, because Oscar nominated films usually have a boost after the ceremony, and this President's Day weekend certainly helps! I want this to happen because I believe their inclusion on 2018's top ten would add more variety to the top ten!

In fact, most of the major Oscar films in theaters have good holds--even Cold War!

As for limited releases, Arctic had a good expansion, which is beautiful to see. Capernaum, Everybody Knows, and Never Look Away are all expanding heartily. Fighting With My Family had a good debut before its wide release, grossing over $100K in four theaters. I've been rooting for Lords of Chaos because I want the distributor Gunpowder & Sky to succeed, and it's increased--though not by much--so hopefully, that's another indie success (as they handle their films with care). Birds of Passage, a foreign language Oscar shortlister, grossed a reasonable amount from two theaters. And Ruben Brandt, Collector grossed $6-7k in one theater; earlier today, there was a typo that said it grossed that much in 22 theaters, and I was all like, no one respects animation boo hoo imma crying, but ghat was a typo, so I feel better than I would've. (Though I would've wanted the film to gross a little more than it did, but it didn't exactly get the Oscar boost it was searching for, so it wouldn't do any good to complain about the underperformance.)

• Like 3

How to Train your Drahon 3 is very very very good. You should all see it when it hits the states.

Im glad to see Alita posting these numbers. When the first trailer came out i thought it would do something like 30M DOM total. The marketing really got good in the last few months though.

Alita’s $56.2M weekend is higher than estimates we were hearing ahead of the session which included strong starts in Russia, France and Mexico. The question is what her legs will look like in some of the European and more mature markets moving forward (she certainly has runway ahead before Captain Marvel takes flight). Currently, Alita is outpacing Ready Player One (+5%) and The Maze Runner (+43%) in the same group of a total 86 offshore markets and at today’s rates. IMAX and 3D box office contributed nicely to the weekend at 35% and 10% of the overseas total, respectively.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-battle-angel-the-wandering-earth-happy-death-day-2u-aquaman-china-global-international-box-office-1202559181/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1