Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

11 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Might be a completely thick question, but what's OVA?

Original Video Animation. Usually anime series that were not aired on tv but went straight to VHS/DVD. Usually higher quality visuals than anime on TV.

Alita did get an OVA with only two episodes that covers similar ground to the movie (if you search for Gunnm you can find full copies on youtue).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Might be a completely thick question, but what's OVA?

It's not thick unless you're an anime fan you literally will not know what an OVA is, it's ok. 😄 But to explain an OVA is an Original Voice Animation basically the anime version of a Direct To Video release more or less though often times they get limited theatrical airings. Alita's only anime adaptation was an OVA of the same content that the movie used ((And it inspired a lot of elements of it)) so it's why I'm mentioning it a lot.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's not thick unless you're an anime fan you literally will not know what an OVA is, it's ok. 😄 But to explain an OVA is an Original Voice Animation basically the anime version of a Direct To Video release more or less though often times they get limited theatrical airings. Alita's only anime adaptation was an OVA of the same content that the movie used ((And it inspired a lot of elements of it)) so it's why I'm mentioning it a lot.

original video animation!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not so long ago 2x it's production budget was the benchmark for a movie being a nice success (think back first Captain America/Batman Begin days), since the fall of the dvd bubble pass 2010 and international usually being a larger share, 2x the budget shifted to just break even instead of clear success territory.

Many movie can fail to recover their money while doubling their budget because:

1) Some participant have first dollar gross, the real rules of thumb is not box office >= 2.0 x budget, but  Box Office >= 2x (production budget + participation bonus), if you follow the second of all the leaked movies between 2004-2014 from the sony leak, about none lost money, Fincher Dragoon tattoo being a rare exception by a small amount.

2) Ultra international heavy

3) Much larger releasing cost than expected, say a small Blum horror movie at 10m budget, but getting an Universal worldwide 75m release, obviously it need to do more than 20m then.

JL should then well break even if the rumored cost are true, but the Snyders, Affleck and many others could have participation bonus that kicked-in making it less obvious (like MIB 3 loosing money despite comfortably doubling it's budget, once you consider Smith and others it didn't came close to double it's real budget)

makes perfect sense :)

do you have data around Curious Case of Benjamin Button:

127.5 dom + 206.4 os (nil from china) = 333.9 ww on 150 prod budget (Mojo)

Gives 140+ theatrical revenue using 55% dom and high 30% os. This was 2008 so hoping that dvd/tv were strong enough to recover costs. Got a lot of Oscar nominations and must have spend money on that campaign too. The awards buzz though in turn could have helped awareness and dvd/tv revenue.

Home Market Performance
Est. Domestic DVD Sales $47,828,971 Details
Est. Domestic Blu-ray Sales $1,569,285 Details
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $49,398,256

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Curious-Case-of-Benjamin-Button-The#tab=video-sales

Edited by a2k

15 minutes ago, a2k said:

do you have data around Curious Case of Benjamin Button:

127.5 dom + 206.4 os (nil from china) = 333.9 ww on 150 prod budget (Mojo)

No but 334 million in 2008 was a lot of revenues:

20130223_WBC124.png

Just getting out of a 25 billions business, to give an idea the 2006 Pursuit of Happiness made 399m in revenues from is 307m (1.29x ratio), the 2010 release Salt made 358.7m with a 293m box office (1.21x ratio).

Button probably made around 375 to 425m, on a 150m production budget, a 105m world release with award season expense, 60m other cost like residual, manufacturing/home ent release, overhead and you have 55 to 105m in profits to go among the Fincher/Pitt the studio and co.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, chuck0 said:

yeah, there is an interview in which Cameron explicitly states that he moved his WETA Avatar team over to Alita because he was so far behind with writing the script. If he hadnt done that he says that he would have had to let them go (guess assigned to different projects? )

So in a way Alita was just Avatar 2 tech research and training. I wonder if having the A-team working on the SFX inflated its cost.

• Like 1

Saw Cold Pursuit today. It was alright, not my favourite Neeson actioner (that's still The Grey) but I liked that it was different. Almost didn't feel like an actioner. Some bits really didn't work for me, but overall I got wrapped up in the yarn the movie spun. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Saw Cold Pursuit today. It was alright, not my favourite Neeson actioner (that's still The Grey) but I liked that it was different. Almost didn't feel like an actioner. Some bits really didn't work for me, but overall I got wrapped up in the yarn the movie spun. 

Not having seen the trailer, it was kind of a delight to realize about 25 minutes in that Cold Pursuit was actually a pitch-black comedy, with death as the punchline... over and over.  I found it quite enjoyable.

• Like 1

Alita audience RT still very strong (93% and 4.6/5) at almost 7k reviews. Thought I’d take a look at medium-big movies (DOM 80+) with very high audience score (4.3+) in the past several years.

Spoiler

2019:  

The Upside 4.3  

2018:

Fallout 4.3

Bohemian Rhapsody 4.4

IW 4.5

I can only imagine 4.6

Spiderverse 4.6 

2017:  

Logan 4.3

WW 4.3

Jumanji 4.3

The Greatest Showman 4.4 

Coco 4.5

2016:  

Civil War 4.3  

Deadpool 4.3

Zootopia 4.4 

Hidden Figures 4.4

2015:  

TFA 4.3

Inside Out 4.3

The Martian 4.3 

Straight Out of Compton 4.3  

2014:

DofP 4.3 

Lego Movie 4.3 

HTTYD2 4.3

Big Hero 6 4.3

Winter Soldier 4.3

GotG 4.4  

2013:  

Catching Fire 4.3  

2012:

TDKR 4.3

Avengers 4.4

Pretty low membership club, and a lot of quite good legs (except Civil War, LOL). Think I’ll be pretty optimistic here and forecast 110-125 for Alita, which is amusingly is where all the other biggest 2019 movies so far seem headed (Glass, Upside, and Lego).

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Any idea about the CinemaScore for Happy Death Day 2U?

Deadline says Alita got an A-, but didn't say anything about HDD2U

Do you know how Deadline got the CinemaScore before it was posted on the CinemaScore website?