MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

I really doubt Amber Heard makes it to Aquaman 3...and it's confirmed her salary of $2m for the first film didn't increase with the second. 

I feel the replacement of Mera is imminent.

15 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

"Hamada said that “Aquaman 2” — due out next year — was conceived as a “buddy comedy” between Momoa and Patrick Wilson, who plays King Orm, Aquaman’s half-brother."

Source: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/amber-heard-aquaman-2-replaced-warner-bros-1235276182/ 

Yessssss lets goooooooooo, #OrmSweep

Yes, the movie was test screened and word is that bromance is top notch. There are some other, more detailed spoilers, so PM if you want to know more. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Noctis said:

I really doubt Amber Heard makes it to Aquaman 3...and it's confirmed her salary of $2m for the first film didn't increase with the second. 

I feel the replacement of Mera is imminent.

Obvious assertion is obvious.  This was already in the offing during A2, of course, no matter what story Hamada's telling. 

And as far as her casting in the first one...And there we are!  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/johnny-depp-testifies-he-helped-amber-heard-land-aquaman-role-1235153928/

Edited by Macleod

Does anyone seriously buy the story that Amber Heard was almost recast because of “chemistry concerns”? I’m not saying she and Jason Momoa have great chemistry, but it didn’t seem to hurt the movie, so why would that be enough of a concern for the studio that they would want to get rid of her? 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Does anyone seriously buy the story that Amber Heard was almost recast because of “chemistry concerns”? I’m not saying she and Jason Momoa have great chemistry, but it didn’t seem to hurt the movie, so why would that be enough of a concern for the studio that they would want to get rid of her? 

Well, now that Depp's on record admitting he convinced the studio to cast her, Hamada's claim at least has some validity -- because that's probably how they felt in the first place.  Either way, regardless of the reasons, most of us could see where all this was going way, way back... 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

You know darn well that's just a cover up.

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Well, now that Depp's on record admitting he convinced the studio to cast her, Hamada's claim at least has some validity -- because that's probably how they felt in the first place.  Either way, regardless of the reasons, most of us could see where all this was going way, way back... 

Hamada wasn’t involved with Amber Heard’s initial casting. 

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Hamada wasn’t involved with Amber Heard’s initial casting. 

Well, there you are, then... that's his "official reason" and yes, is very likely sidestepping to just be polite about the real reasons, but either way, we can't really say they had Casablanca chemistry anyway, right??  

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Well, there you are, then... that's his "official reason" and yes, is very likely sidestepping to just be polite about the real reasons, but either way, we can't really say they had Casablanca chemistry anyway, right??  

Studios couldn’t care less about “chemistry concerns” as long as they make money. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Studios couldn’t care less about “chemistry concerns” as long as they make money. 

It's a miracle the movie made a billion considering the relative lack of any chemistry on screen in this one... but if you don't think they care about chemistry (however one defines it), you should ask why they spend hours and hours testing actors for roles and doing "chemistry reads" for anything and everything!  

I mean, it's not exactly a stretch. Legal case aside, she WAS pretty bad in Aquaman and had next to no chemistry with Momoa. Did it sink the movie? Nah but that element could have been improved for sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

It's a miracle the movie made a billion considering the relative lack of any chemistry on screen in this one... but if you don't think they care about chemistry (however one defines it), you should ask why they spend hours and hours testing actors for roles and doing "chemistry reads" for anything and everything!  

It made money because it’s a big VFX-driven spectacle. If Amber Heard and Jason Momoa’s supposed lack of chemistry didn’t sink the movie, I don’t see why WB would be so insistent on recasting her. People didn’t exactly gush about the chemistry between Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterson in Fantastic Beasts, but I don’t remember hearing anything about WB trying to replace one of them.

I find it very difficult to believe that WB’s reluctance about bringing her back had nothing to do with the Johnny Depp drama.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeah, it's a BS PR statement that will fool nobody.

It's like the old joke 'When somebody says it's not the money, it's the principal of the thing, bet your bottom dollar it's about the money".

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Heard and Momoa didn’t have out of this world chemistry, but which Superhero coupling does? Paltrow and Downey Jr? Adams and Cavill? McAdams and Cumberbatch? No, no and no.

The most beloved examples I can think of in terms of the past decade are Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell and Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. Otherwise, yeah, superhero movies aren’t exactly known for their gripping romances.

The most beloved examples I can think of in terms of the past decade are Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell and Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. Otherwise, yeah, superhero movies aren’t exactly known for their gripping romances.

Even those have just moderate chemistry. Amber Heard should not be fired because Depp stans are throwing tantrums and won’t get another movie with him as Jack Sparrow.