MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

A huge problem is that Avatar 2 ruined all future movies that take place in the water, because their visual effects will always be a let down compared to Way of Water. TLM suffered from the comparisons big time. BP2 looked very bad but at least it released before WOW. There is no way Aquaman 2 can measure up to WOW.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

A huge problem is that Avatar 2 ruined all future movies that take place in the water, because their visual effects will always be a let down compared to Way of Water. TLM suffered from the comparisons big time. BP2 looked very bad but at least it released before WOW. There is no way Aquaman 2 can measure up to WOW.

I think as long as the visual effects measure up to the first one it should be alright. Just keep the standards of the first one is honestly what most people (who enjoyed the first one) want out of it.

• Like 3

I don't think the visual would be a big deal, as Spielberg said people are willing to believe it's true and alive as long as emotion is there. I worried about previous report from THR saying the crew at some point thought the story lacked clear direction. I don't know if they can fix it.

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm still of the opinion that outside of WOW, Aquaman has far and away the best underwater scenes on film. Little Mermaid and BP2 absolutely failed in that regard.

• Like 3

OH MY GOD YES!!!!

Production designer Bill Brzeski compares Wan's sequel to the vintage films worked on by special effects legend Ray Harryhausen, like 1958's The Voyage of Sinbad and 1963's Jason and the Argonauts, in terms of the movie's commitment to fantastical adventure. "James has turned this into his version of a Harryhausen movie," Brzeski says. "There are problems and issues a modern audience could relate to, but it's got a great quest and monsters." 

Having shown the film to a few people by the time of EW's conversation, Wan notes the feedback has routinely been that the film "doesn't feel like your typical superhero movie, it feels like an old-school Ray Harryhausen movie." He notes, "That's the biggest compliment, because that's the spirit that I was going for." 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 1

The teaser also featured the sight of Aquaman and an octopus shooting out of the water atop a giant sea horse. Wan confirms that Arthur's steed is Storm, who first appeared in the Aquaman comic back in the mid-'60s, while his eight-legged friend is Topo, the same octopus that was briefly seen playing the drums back in the first film. The director explains that Topo will have "a stronger presence in this film. He's an actual character in this one."

:jeb!:

Interesting that he basically admitted that James Gunn was involved in the last bunch of reshoots and bring new ideas. 

This is interesting because while some people insists on universal truths about this movie being objectively awful, WB didn’t tested it after Gunn came in so they didn’t watch what happened after the final reshoot and re-editing. They don’t even know for sure what changed after Gunn involvement.

Not that i don’t believe in parts of the infos, i’m convinced it’ll be a messy movie and considering how Wan keeps comparing it to 1950-s B Movies, it shouldn’t be everyone taste and very likely it can be rejected by a big portion of the audience and considered boring, out of time or trash for them.

Still, even if it’s actually a mess and part of the audience and critics hated it, getting a CBM movie compared to trash 50’s fantasy movies that people keeps saying it doesn’t feel like a modern CBM movie at all is 100x more interesting to me than whatever basic “well made” movie people might enjoy. I just need those production design / visuals / action to be ridiculously camp fun and i’m more than happy.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Interesting that he basically admitted that James Gunn was involved in the last bunch of reshoots and bring new ideas. 

This is interesting because while some people insists on universal truths about this movie being objectively awful, WB didn’t tested it after Gunn came in so they didn’t watch what happened after the final reshoot and re-editing. They don’t even know for sure what changed after Gunn involvement.

Not that i don’t believe in parts of the infos, i’m convinced it’ll be a messy movie and considering how Wan keeps comparing it to 1950-s B Movies, it shouldn’t be everyone taste and very likely it can be rejected by a big portion of the audience and considered boring, out of time or trash for them.

Still, even if it’s actually a mess and part of the audience and critics hated it, getting a CBM movie compared to trash 50’s fantasy movies that people keeps saying it doesn’t feel like a modern CBM movie at all is 100x more interesting to me than whatever basic “well made” movie people might enjoy. I just need those production design / visuals / action to be ridiculously camp fun and i’m more than happy.

Honestly, it just kind of sounds that at least Wan knew what he was making and the influences here are very refreshing indeed for a modern superhero blockbuster. Hope he had fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Honestly, it just kind of sounds that at least Wan knew what he was making and the influences here are very refreshing indeed for a modern superhero blockbuster. Hope he had fun.

Yes, it’s always hard to take everything in big outlets are cold truths, but he seems happy with the movie and said clearly the final movie is what he wanted it to feel like, which are weird old pictures that wasn’t exactly acclaimed when they were released.  I remember he said Planet Of The Vampires was one of the big influences for this sequel, who else would think about this?

If that’s something people would like in today’s climate seems sadly unlikely, but i do hope it’s his movie and he’s proud of it because i’m very into his idea and hoping it’s as refreshing as it sounds.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:41 AM, ChipDerby said:

I'm still of the opinion that outside of WOW, Aquaman has far and away the best underwater scenes on film. Little Mermaid and BP2 absolutely failed in that regard.

They were actually visually more interesting than WOW even. Like WOW is technically better looking of course, but Wan did some super intriguing stuff with underwater in the first film. 

• Like 1