Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

a tale in two parts

On 3/16/2019 at 9:01 AM, iHeartJames said:

triple frontier? it has ben affleck, pedro pascal, oscar issacs, charlie hunnam and garrett hedlund even if it sucks i plan on fingering myself to it on mute

3 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

[Mod Edit]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

So, let's talk NEW MOVIES:)...see, I got back from Wonder Park just in time...

Now, this is the 1st large spousal division for ratings in awhile:)...

My spouse gave the movie a C- - he said it was beautiful, but he didn't get it...and b/c he didn't get it, he couldn't get into it.

I gave it a B and looked at him like he has 2 heads.  It's not the best movie, but it's SO EASY to follow and understand (I told him, "how can you not get or be willing to just roll with 'spoiler' when you're willing to roll with talking animals or walking Yetis in other animated movies!:)"  If I'm honest, it's about a B- movie, but it earns the B b/c the messaging is so nicely done and so right...it's the same messaging my dad gave me when he was 'spoiler', so maybe since I had the experience and my husband didn't, it affected our reviews and ability to engage with the movie.  It's also very creative, well-voiced...and it has some theme park send ups that while tonally don't fit, our pretty damn scathing and funny in a Scared Shrekless "Welcome to Duloc" way...and it doesn't feel too short or too long, so they made a good choice on length...

Now, the important ones - my boys.  My older one was right in the range to grasp everything, feel deeply, and give it the A+.  He loved it!

My younger one still really liked it, but found parts "strange" - he still gave it the A-.

And the 3d was pretty damn fun - yes, they make use of theme park rides:).

All in all, for $5 3d tickets, it was a great outing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I'll be honest, I don't really understand what you're saying lol. 

I think you read up at OS in the meantime, just in case: the number was not higher as expected, the number includes (smallish in comparison) partly even Wednesday, often also Thursday,... = dailies from countries where those workdays are typical part of the weekend.... 

Not really important, it was only the added 'more than expected' that let me assume you might not have been aware of it, the 'us' gave me a feeling too.

I think I am a bit too tired, I seem to get worse with the chosen wordings

• Like 1

And, it's my 4th kids movie of the year at 3 different chains (Regal, Cinemark, and AMC tonight), and still NO DUMBO trailer!  I got my 3rd Toy Story 4 teaser, so it's not like Disney is not putting their stuff on other movies.  They are obviously making the play for Dumbo solely at the adult movie going audience...we'll see how that goes...

And I saw the new Angry Birds 2 trailer...and I'm IN:)...that one's gonna be a late summer surprise - it's not gonna tank like Nut Job Never Again:)...

PS - Detective Pikachu is 4 for 4 on my viewing, so they are putting their trailer on every family movie they can think of, no matter who makes it...reminds me of the Secret Life of Pets way of just making sure everyone knew it was coming...and it's a good trailer, so it's gonna be effective:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Some friends of mine were talking about Green Book today because it is playing at the theatre on campus tonight. Now, I love these people, they're my closest friends I've made since coming to university, but it does go to show how ill-informed people are:

"Green Book... isn't that the one that all the white people at the Oscars bribed to win best picture?"

"Yea, Black Klansman was supposed to win but apparently there was this whole big lawsuit and the producers paid millions of dollars for it to be rigged"

"What's it even about"

"Something about white privilege I think, I think it's like 12 years a slave but instead about why progressiveness is bad"

Me: "have any of you guys seen the movie?"

"God no, I'm not paying people who are trying to tell me that all minorities should once again be subjugated"

Here's the thing, I've heard them talk about the movie before, and their opinions on it weren't nearly as... radical a few weeks ago. Goes to show how much people believe whatever they read on social media as long as it fits what they already think.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

@JB33 and @IcarusReborn have been threadbanned until after the heat death of the universe. 

NIRD

Please do not ignore moderator warnings. 

Not saying they didn't earn the thread ban, but when I got back, I did notice a bunch of folks ignoring the mod warning, not just these two...so, shouldn't there be a few more bans...or maybe a lighter one than "til the death of the universe":)...

This is why I don't do the mods' job...you all do perform thankless work so well every day for us:)...

• Like 1