Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I wonder what weekend Captain Marvel will pass Wonder Woman.

The fact that the two superhero films lead by female characters are doing over $400m in America anyway is incredible.

It’s more likely than not that it will pass Wonder Woman But it’s not locked me thinks.From this weekend on  up until April 5 we will have a major release that will take a bite from its theater,screens and ultimately audience.Us,Dumbo and Shazam have great early buzz and  appeal to all demos.If it follows Guardians 2 which had summer ahead of it and registered a similar second weekend, it gets to like 410M (giving it slightly better holds)which is 2.5M shorter than Wonder Woman.Good lord was Wonder Woman’s run epic.

edit:just realized that it will only be in its 3rd weekend so it won’t loose many theaters when US comes out or if it will loose theaters at all.Idk how this works.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It’s more likely than not that it will pass Wonder Woman But it’s not locked me thinks.From this weekend on  up until April 5 we will have a major release that will take a bite from its theater,screens and ultimately audience.Us,Dumbo and Shazam have great early buzz and  appeal to all demos.If it follows Guardians 2 which had summer ahead of it and registered a similar second weekend, it gets to like 410M (giving it slightly better holds)which is 2.5M shorter than Wonder Woman.Good lord was Wonder Woman’s run epic.

edit:just realized that it will only be in its 3rd weekend so it won’t loose many theaters when US comes out or if it will loose theaters at all.Idk how this works.

If you mean WW, it will pass it by over 200 million. Domestically which doesn't matter it might not.

28 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I thought this was weird, I think it’s to so with Ellen’s involvement. She gave her audience tickets the other day. 

18 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

MCU character films second weekend UK drops:

'Iron Man': 64%

'Thor': 64%

'Captain America: The First Avenger': 61%

'Doctor Strange': 63%

'Spider-Man: Homecoming': 60%

'Black Panther': 61%

: 48%

To be fair it’s only competition was What Men Want, in 300 cinemas lol. 

But CM also opened way bigger over the 3 day than all of those other films here. So it’s still impressive.

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If you mean WW, it will pass it by over 200 million. Domestically which doesn't matter it might not.

Domestically does still matter, actually. It’s still the main market in the world :) 

And it'll probably pass the workdwide total by $300m, actually. 

Edited by Krissykins

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't know why it's surprising that they are doing over 400M in America. Katniss was the first female lead since the Exorcist that had #1 movie of the year domestically. Now, one can argue that Rose in Titanic was the lead but I guess they went with the billing and she was billed together with Leo, while The Exorcist leading lady got the top billing alone. And THG had 2 movies cross 400M back to back which is very rare. it would have been 3 times had they not split Mockingjay and diluted interest in it. 

Franchises with female leads have been very big in the last 10 years going by BOM database. Twilight, Star Wars, THG, now WW and CM. Also, Sandra Bullock opened that monster Gravity.

If Titanic barely hit your criteria of female centric film, I don't get how SW got that title.

New SW  franchise was never a female centric film, except Rogue one, Rey in SW is one of the lead in the ensemble cast, her screentime, the arc of the story, was never meant to surround her. I feel like KYlo Ren was more leading than any of the character.   

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If Titanic barely hit your criteria of female centric film, I don't get how SW got that title.

New SW  franchise was never a female centric film, except Rogue one, Rey in SW is one of the lead in the ensemble cast, her screentime, the arc of the story, was never meant to surround her. I feel like KYlo Ren was more leading than any of the character.   

I definitely think that Rose is a bigger lead than Rey and that Elizabeth Swann in POTC trilogy is a bigger lead than Rey. But Rose is a total lead. Shared top billing or not, Titanic is a female-centric movie through and through. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I definitely think that Rose is a bigger lead than Rey and that Elizabeth Swann in POTC trilogy is a bigger lead than Rey. But Rose is a total lead. Shared top billing or not, Titanic is a female-centric movie through and through. 

Titanic is essentially Rose's story. Even though Kate Winslet got second billing, the story is told from Rose's perspective and there's a long stretch where Jack is mostly off-screen as Rose is trying to find his whereabouts. 

You could also say the same about Elizabeth even though in Dead Man's Chest, she was given the least to do out of the three leads. 

4 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

Titanic is essentially Rose's story. Even though Kate Winslet got second billing, the story is told from Rose's perspective and there's a long stretch where Jack is mostly off-screen as Rose is trying to find his whereabouts. 

You could also say the same about Elizabeth even though in Dead Man's Chest, she was given the least to do out of the three leads. 

agreed. 

re: Elizabeth, yes, DMC was more of a Will and Jack story but then AWE became Elizabeth's story again, so the trilogy is still comfortably hers even if the middle movie isn't. 

UK drop for CM is :worthy: and I don't care if there was zero competition, people could choose to stay home but they opted for CM instead. :bop:

Edited by Valonqar

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Titanic is female centric film definitely, it is about Rose's journey to transform herself from being a girl who attempted a suicide.into a survivor in full mode by blowing the whistle and live a life since. She survived with the diamond and tell a story in modern time, way more centrical than anyone can spin it.

New SW feature an heroine but doesn't necessary mean it is a female centric film, I find Rey's character was sometime awkward and had a hard to blend with the entire ensemble cast and main plot. She only talked to Leia in the end of each film, separated from Finn from time to time, spending extremely little time with resistance, had a limited dialogue exchange with Solo, and never talk to Poe only until the very last of the 2nd film through a forced introduction! So hard to convince me she is centric figure of entire plot of the SW trilogy.

While CM, wonder woman, gravity, Frozen, every dsiney princess movie, HG, or Alita were all clearly female centric. The entire plot was revolving around a female lead with almost no co-lead can distract the focus.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Star Wars is an ensemble however Daisy Ridley and Felicity Jones had a plurality of screen time (%) if not story in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

ninewheels0 screen time breakdowns - largest on-screen roles (plurality)

Luke (SW:ANH): 37.50 minutes (31% of runtime)

Luke (SW:TESB): 34.75 minutes (28% of runtime)

Luke (SW:ROTJ): 34.25 minutes (26% of runtime)

Qui-Gon (SW:TPM): 35.50 minutes (26% of runtime)

Anakin (SW:AOTC): 48 minutes (34% of runtime)

Anakin (SW:ROTS): 52.75 minutes (38% of runtime)

Rey (SW:TFA): 43 minutes (32% of runtime)

Jyn (RO:ASWS): 36 minutes (27% of runtime)

Rey (SW:TLJ): 30.25 minutes (20% of runtime)

Han (S:ASWS): 55.50 minutes (41% of runtime)

SW new trilogy screen time totals (SW:TFA + SW:TLJ)

#1 Rey: 73.25 minutes (25% of runtime)

#2 Finn: 49.25 minutes (17% of runtime)

#3 Kylo Ren: 34.25 minutes (12% of runtime)

I'd say storywise, the story in SW:TLJ was more about the two white men and their pain and feud than Rey's story, in a similar way I'd say SW:TPM isn't Qui-Gon's story.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
added Solo and other movies

Haven't done one of these in ages:

Captain Marvel:

Remainder of this week: 24.4M (290.6M Total)

Mar 22: 33.5M (12.3M weekdays, 336.4M Total)

Mar 29: 20.2M (7M weekdays, 363.6M Total)

Apr 5: 10.9M (3.5M weekdays, 378M Total)

Apr 12: 6.9M (2.2M weekdays, 387.1M Total)

Apr 19: 5M (1.9M weekdays, 394M Total)

Apr 26: 4.3M (1.6M weekdays, 399.9M Total)

May 3: 3.8M (1.3M weekdays, 405M Total)

May 10: 2.3M (600k weekdays, 407.9M Total)

May 17: 1M (300k weekdays, 409.2M Total)

Final Total: 413M (2.66x)

Us taking away the vast majority of PLFs and some IMAXs is going to damage it a bit this weekend, but if it can pull a drop below 45%, a 3x is on the table imo.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Haven't done one of these in ages:

Captain Marvel:

Remainder of this week: 24.4M (290.6M Total)

Mar 22: 33.5M (12.3M weekdays, 336.4M Total)

Mar 29: 20.2M (7M weekdays, 363.6M Total)

Apr 5: 10.9M (3.5M weekdays, 378M Total)

Apr 12: 6.9M (2.2M weekdays, 387.1M Total)

Apr 19: 5M (1.9M weekdays, 394M Total)

Apr 26: 4.3M (1.6M weekdays, 399.9M Total)

May 3: 3.8M (1.3M weekdays, 405M Total)

May 10: 2.3M (600k weekdays, 407.9M Total)

May 17: 1M (300k weekdays, 409.2M Total)

Final Total: 413M (2.66x)

Us taking away the vast majority of PLFs and some IMAXs is going to damage it a bit this weekend, but if it can pull a drop below 45%, a 3x is on the table imo.

Touch and go against Wonder Woman.