CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

The news breaking that Baz was making a mega-budget Gatsby adaption starring Leo is one of my all-time favorite film moments. He did grossly miscast Daisy in my opinion, and she was totally overshadowed by DiCaprio and Edgerton's excellent performances, but the film remains epic. He would be a really wild, outside the box choice to take on a new SUPERMAN film. 

Nobody directs 2 people in love quite like Baz. Just watch the first minute of this, which includes potentially worst fake airplane on film in the last 25 years:

Edited by excel1

33 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The news breaking that Baz was making a mega-budget Gatsby adaption starring Leo is one of my all-time favorite film moments. He did grossly miscast Daisy in my opinion, and she was totally overshadowed by DiCaprio and Edgerton's excellent performances, but the film remains epic. He would be a really wild, outside the box choice to take on a new SUPERMAN film. 

Nobody directs 2 people in love quite like Baz. Just watch the first minute of this, which includes potentially worst fake airplane on film in the last 25 years:

I remember from the CinemaSins video covering Gatsby '13: "Carey Mulligan Michelle Williamses so hard in this movie that I'm half-convinced I'm watching a Dawson's Creek episode."

But yeah, her performance in that movie was flat and easily outshined by Debicki. Definitely part of that odd era where the industry didn't know what to do with her.

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I remember from the CinemaSins video covering Gatsby '13: "Carey Mulligan Michelle Williamses so hard in this movie that I'm half-convinced I'm watching a Dawson's Creek episode."

But yeah, her performance in that movie was flat and easily outshined by Debicki. Definitely part of that odd era where the industry didn't know what to do with her.

Daisy was supposed so life-changingly beautiful & so strongly radiate "naive pampered upper class woman" to Gatsby that he is never the same. She is supposed to well-meaning enough to be likable while also being oblivious enough to predictably move on from Gatsby with relative ease. Respectfully to Mulligan, I don't think anyone would describe her in such a way. They were supposedly eyeing ScarJo and Natalie Portman, both of whom would have been much, much better though IDK about their chemistry with Leo. His GANGS costar Cameron Diaz would have been a perfect Daisy in her prime. 

• Like 1

As much as I love Top Gun: Maverick, some reports seem to be underestimating the box office potential of Elvis. Maverick has lost a good majority of its IMAX showings. I think Maverick will hold on strong, but I don't see how it beats Elvis in OW. This could go as high as 50M. Despite Elvis's spotted past in retrospect, he's a huge icon in the US (mainly the midwest/south). People will definitely show up out of curiosity.

The only way I see this failing is due to the fact that Baz took some liberties with the music on some stage performances. It might alienate Elvis's hardcore fanbase, and that could transfer to weak legs due to disappointing word of mouth.

2 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I think this will under-perform. It is not the conventional biopic Elvis fans will want and I doubt the older generations will gel with Lurhmann's hyperactive style.

Your first post?

Whats your number for an under-perform? 

20 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Less than $30m OW.

I hope not and dont think its very likely at this stage. Numbers point to a 3M+ for just Thursday previews and then early access on top and should have a good multiplier (10+). I was thinking 35-40 but think 38-45 is becoming more likely now.

Edited by Ronin46

3 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I hope not and dont think its very likely at this stage. Numbers point to a 3M+ for just Thursday previews and then early access on top and should have a multiplier. I was thinking 35-40 but think 38-45 is becoming more likely now.

it's 7:30 EST 

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

it's 7:30 EST 

Yep and the numbers point to a 3M+ for previews........................................... in 5 minutes it will also be 7.35 EST and the numbers will still point to a 3M+ in previews. When someone else updates with newer numbers I will have some other numbers to point to. Until then its 3M +. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, filmlover said:

Mulligan is just not that kind of movie star actress. She's extremely talented but like you wouldn't really use her the same way you would use Margot Robbie in a film. I know there was a lot of controversy when a critic pointed out that fact for Promising Young Woman but its simply true that some actresses are absolute bombshells and others are just pretty. 

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Mulligan is just not that kind of movie star actress. She's extremely talented but like you wouldn't really use her the same way you would use Margot Robbie in a film. I know there was a lot of controversy when a critic pointed out that fact for Promising Young Woman but its simply true that some actresses are absolute bombshells and others are just pretty. 

I didn't like that as a criticism of Promising Young Woman, it felt like the reviewer missed the point of the movie: it's not like the sleazes of the world are only preying on bombshell 10s, especially in Anytown, USA. But yes, Margot and Carey are very different types.

As for Elvis, in the tracking thread, a poster mentioned their theater having several walkouts. The Baz of it all is A Lot if you were looking for another Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Like 1