Eric Quinn

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

One of my friends works Friday night until 11:00 pm. He’s seeing Endgame at 12:30 AM after work. 

I haven’t seen a movie event this big growing up to be honest since Deathly Hallows tbh.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Final Prediction:

Midnights: $65m

Friday: $65m 

Opening Day: $129.5m

Saturday: $85m

Sunday: $75m

Opening weekend: $289.5m - a record that will last a decade (or until Reeves Bats faces Phoenix's Joker)

Even if I hate the film, I am calling it, the reviews and early grosses confirm it, Marvel has done the unthinkable, it's official:

MARVEL > STAR WARS for biggest cinematic brand of all 

This (feels like it) is the most anticipated film of all time. 

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER aint getting close to this bitch

Pump the breaks. Worldwide/Overseas, yes (praying for Endgame to beat Avatar, the most overrated movie of all time) but in the US no Marvel has not "surpassed" Star Wars in the US overall. Inflation wise and rounding up Star Wars basically has 2, 1 billion dollar domestic films and 5 films in the top 20 of all time. MCU is game changing and huge, but in the end Star Wars will remain more iconic in the states at least; just my opinion. I don't believe Iron Man, Black Widow, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Captain America etc will be held in higher regard historically in cinema than Yoda, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Lando, and Darth Vader etc. The Original Trilogy changed the game and set the blueprint too much. Star Wars "peaked" higher in the US than MCU.  If this is the most hyped movie of all time in the US it will surpass Force Awaken's 976 million adjusted figure, IMO, and it might get close but i don't see that happening.  Also - Maybe i'm showing my age. The hype for Phantom Menace was so huge that many people thought it was going to slaughter Titanic, straight up. Endgame is in the convo though with Menace and Force Awakens (32 years of hype. For many that was the real sequel that people wanted to see, not the prequels even tho Menace was crazy hyped as well)

Everywhere else tho, it's a wrap. MCU has surpassed Star Wars, agreed there.

That said, watch Avatar 2-4 average 3 billion per film. Also, props for mentioning Reeves on Batman, has the potential to be a great string of films if they're done right. Batman vs Joker as the main plot has broken records twice, can't fully count it out from doing so again. haha

Edited by jaybox

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

One of my friends works Friday night until 11:00 pm. He’s seeing Endgame at 12:30 AM after work. 

I haven’t seen a movie event this big growing up to be honest since Deathly Hallows tbh.

I saw Deathly Hallows 2 at midnight...definitely one of the craziest times I've had at a theater.

Dark Knight - My friends had to get tickets for a 3:20am showing, everything else was sold out, saw it again the same morning.

Endgame will likely surpass all of those!

I wonder if the MCU from Phase 4 onwards be as big as Phase 3 was/is. I don’t think any further films even Avatar 2, Avengers vs X-Men, a Pokémon Red/Blue adaptation will top this one box office wise. 

13 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Pump the breaks. Worldwide/Overseas, yes (praying for Endgame to beat Avatar, the most overrated movie of all time) but in the US no Marvel has not "surpassed" Star Wars in the US overall. Inflation wise and rounding up Star Wars basically has 2, 1 billion dollar domestic films and 5 films in the top 20 of all time. MCU is game changing and huge, but in the end Star Wars will remain more iconic in the states at least; just my opinion. I don't believe Iron Man, Black Widow, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Captain America etc will be held in higher regard historically in cinema than Yoda, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Lando, and Darth Vader etc. The Original Trilogy changed the game and set the blueprint too much. Star Wars "peaked" higher in the US than MCU.  If this is the most hyped movie of all time in the US it will surpass Force Awaken's 976 million adjusted figure, IMO, and it might get close but i don't see that happening.  Also - Maybe i'm showing my age. The hype for Phantom Menace was so huge that many people thought it was going to slaughter Titanic, straight up. Endgame is in the convo though with Menace and Force Awakens (32 years of hype. For many that was the real sequel that people wanted to see, not the prequels even tho Menace was crazy hyped as well)

That said, watch Avatar 2-4 average 3 billion per film. Also, props for mentioning Reeves on Batman, has the potential to be a great string of films if they're done right. Batman vs Joker as the main plot has broken records twice, can't fully count it out from doing so again. haha

If Endgame out outperforms Episode 9 DOM. Yes. It's passed SW. IW already outperformed Episode 8.

15 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-wont-include-300-million-debut.html

Avengers: Endgame’ is destined to smash box-office records this weekend, but it won’t surpass $300 million in US debut

A lot is incorrect with that article in general. I almost feel like Shawn is just trying to keep expectations low for when it does happen. He sees the same data we all do (I would assume.) The writing is on the wall.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

While phase 1 and phase 2 were instrumental, I think phase 3 sent the mcu into an unmatchable stratosphere worldwide

Mcu movies will still continue to be of quality but achieving the fever pitch that IW/Endgame is not something that anyone should ever just expect to be replicated. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 1

I don't get the 'can't do $300m OW'. It's very possible to get 62m previews, this allone would boost IW total up to $280m they honestly think the market doesn't have room for an extra $20m on FSS? I mean in theory if demand is big enough every day could match saturday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jaybox said:

You're delusional if you think Avatar 2-5 will gross 3B. 2B is hard and Endgame had earned this by 22 movies. Avatar doesn't even have fan base I think no Avatar sequel grosses more than 2.4B... Max is 2.6B 

Edited by Nero

4 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I don't get the 'can't do $300m OW'. It's very possible to get 62m previews, this allone would boost IW total up to $280m they honestly think the market doesn't have room for an extra $20m on FSS? I mean in theory if demand is big enough every day could match saturday.

Theoretically Friday has the most room to grow. 

IW has the record for true Friday gross, and that’s only ~$67M, still below Sunday record.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

Theoretically Friday has the most room to grow. 

IW has the record for true Friday gross, and that’s only ~$67M, still below Sunday record.

Sam! :)

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Records it won’t break (the on in italics are unlikely but possible, I guess)

Total Gross in:

Dom – SW:TFA  (937M) – IW ($679M)

China – Wolf Warrior 2 ($864M) – IW ($370M) (Will break Gross for Hollywood)

Japan – Frozen ($249M) – IW ($33.9M)

India – Baahubali 2 ($200M) – IW ($43.6M) (Will break Gross for Hollywood)

France – Ch’tis (194M) -IW ($47.7M)

UK – SW: TFA ($180M) -IW ($96.6M)

Germany – Avatar ($162M) – IW ($45.4M)

South Korea – Roaring Currents (132M) – IW ($88.5M)

Russia – Avatar ($117M) – IW ($34.6M)

Spain – Avatar ($110M) – IW ($24.8M)

Australia – Avatar ($105M) – IW ($46.8M)

Italy – Avatar ($83.5M) – IW ($22.8M)

Taiwan – Transformers 3 ($37.7M) ??? This number looks way to high – IW ($21.6M)

Turkey – Recep Ivedik 4 ($32.4M) – IW ($5.7M)

Poland – Avatar ($28.33M – Kler $28.27M) – IW ($7.4M)

Netherlands – Titanic ($27M) – IW ($11.1)

Venezuela – Minions ($27M) – IW ($6.1M)

Sweden – Mamma Mia! (25M) – IW ($8.1M)

Denmark – Avatar ($22.9M) – IW ($6.9M)

Belgium – Titanic ($20.7M) – IW ($5.7M)

Switzerland – Titanic ($19.4M) – IW ($5.6M)

Norway – Mamma Mia! (16.8M) – IW ($5.7M)

Finland – The Unknown Soldier ($15.6M) – IW ($3.4M)

New Zealand – Avatar ($12.6M) – IW ($7.1M)

Czech Republic – Avatar ($12.5M – BR $10.9M) – IW ($4.4M)

Greece – Loufa kai parallegi ($11.7M) – IW ($2.8M)

Portugal – Avatar ($9.3M) – IW ($2.8M)

Ukraine – Avatar ($8.7M) – IW ($3.7M)

Hungary – Avatar ($7.3M) – IW ($3.2M)

South Africa – Black Panther ($8M) – IW ($5.6M)

Romania – Avatar ($5.6M) – IW ($2.5M)

Bulgaria – Avatar ($3.4M) – IW ($982k)

Slovakia – Avatar ($2.9M – IW ($1.3M)

Slovenia – Avatar ($1.8M) – IW ($325k)

Uruguay – Minions ($1.7M) – IW ($816k)

Lithuania – Trys Milijonai Euru ($1.6M) – IW ($406k)

Croatia – Avatar ($1.6M) – IW ($770k)

Iceland – Avatar ($1.13) – IW ($689k)

Will break:

Total gross in:

Brazil – IW ($67M)

Mexico – Avengers ($62M)

Philippines – IW ($23.3M)

Indonesia – IW ($25.3M)

Thailand – Pee Mak Prakanong ($18.2M) – IW ($17.9M)

Malaysia – IW ($17.3M)

Singapore – IW ($12.2M)

UAE – Fast 8 ($10.2M) – IW ($10.1M)

Paraguay – IW ($1.1M) ???

No idea:

Serbia and Monenegro – Montevideo, bog te video ($2.2M) – IW ($??)

OW wise:

The picture looks way better.

There I’d say it won’t break records in:

UK (Spectre 7-day, though that is kinda cheating, TFA OW could be close $50.7M)

Japan (Opening decreased in size, SW EPIII 19M, TFA 10M, despite higher final gross for TFA)

Germany (TFA $27.2M – IW $15.3M)

France (Ch’tis $31.6M – IW 17.6M)

Maybe India

Some other European countries

Too lazy to find OW everywhere.

But I guess there are some others were it won’t break OW but not many, in Sweden for example IW and TFA OWs are basically the same, but totals are worlds apart.

Records IW won't break as that question was brought up in this, it should be noted though that a movie that breaks total gross records in every countery would probably gross in excess of $4B.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 2