Eric the Fall Guy

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If Endgame out outperforms Episode 9 DOM. Yes. It's passed SW. IW already outperformed Episode 8.

Did it outperform Force Awakens? or any of the other 4 movies adjusted? 😕 *shrugs*

I think Endgame will beat Episode 9 domestically btw. It's MCU's world right now, literally, but based on what I said i believe MCU has not surpassed Star Wars in the states in terms of historical importance. Sorry if it upsets people. It's not hate lol, just an opinion. 

Edited by jaybox
  • Knock It Off 2

30 minutes ago, Nero said:

You're delusional if you think Avatar 2-5 will gross 3B. 2B is hard and Endgame had earned this by 22 movies. Avatar doesn't even have fan base I think no Avatar sequel grosses more than 2.4B... Max is 2.6B 

No mang, I should've put a "Rolling eyes" emoticon or something. I couldn't stand the hype around Avatar and didn't think Cameron would replace himself as the top grossing movie ever. I was just emphasizing that I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron pulled it out again in ridiculous fashion. I agree with you that the Avatar sequels won't gross 3 billi each. lol.  

44 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I don't get the 'can't do $300m OW'. It's very possible to get 62m previews, this allone would boost IW total up to $280m they honestly think the market doesn't have room for an extra $20m on FSS? I mean in theory if demand is big enough every day could match saturday.

It’s really silly. Again, a film could likely do 400m on OW if people packed into every screening of the day for the whole weekend. That sort of thing just would never happen. Theres always cities where a movie isn’t going to be selling  out every showing. Not everywhere is LA or NYC. There’s always plenty of showings where there are scattered seats left, which adds up quickly. Not to mention morning showings, because who goes to morning movies on the weekends? With that said, the huge demand plus sellouts could push people to go to things like morning showings more often or take those scattered “bad seats” still open during other showings. Things like that would easily push EG over 300.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

I think there's a scenario where the underwater filming technology that Cameron has been working on for 2 decades delivers such an amazing experience that it recreates the original Avatar's success, which was driven by his use of cutting edge 3D technology.  

I don't think this is likely.  I think it's a long shot.  But the possibility is there, it's not like it's just another movie with no unique visual/technological hook to possibly cash in on.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

I think there's a scenario where the underwater filming technology that Cameron has been working on for 2 decades delivers such an amazing experience that it recreates the original Avatar's success, which was driven by his use of cutting edge 3D technology.  

I don't think this is likely.  I think it's a long shot.  But the possibility is there, it's not like it's just another movie with no unique visual/technological hook to possibly cash in on.  

I’m sure avatar 2 will have great WOM and do something not too dissimilar to the first in terms of crazy legs. It’s still not going to beat the first though. It simply won’t have the opening and the kind of legs the first saw aren’t possible in this market. 

28 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Did it outperform Force Awakens? or any of the other 4 movies adjusted? 😕 *shrugs*

I think Endgame will beat Episode 9 domestically btw. It's MCU's world right now, literally, but based on what I said i believe MCU has not surpassed Star Wars in the states in terms of historical importance. Sorry if it upsets people. It's not hate lol, just an opinion. 

Here’s another opinion...over 20 billion dollars WORLDWIDE in 10 years and that is not counting marvel movies from other studios (if we do then we go to the  30 billion territory) Disney dared to try something like that with Star Wars, on a much smaller scale, and fell flat on its face so no more Star Wars spin offs and quite sometime until the next trilogy. If we get into semantics the numbers are simply overwhelming ...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Taruseth said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Records IW won't break as that question was brought up in this, it should be noted though that a movie that breaks total gross records in every countery would probably gross in excess of $4B.

Really makes you realise just how huge Avatar was in Europe. So much potential market to gain for Endgame, though it won't touch Avatar in many countries listed still.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jaybox said:

I'm more so saying right now as of IW it has surpassed what SW currently is... It's bigger DOM and much bigger OS.  It's peripheral films are bigger too. Much bigger in fact as well. Star Wars returns diminished, still a monster. Avengers increased.

Nothing is challenging New Hope or Force Awakens DOM. That includes the huge new SW coming this winter. They're the past now. The current is Avengers.

IW > SW8

BP > R1

Countless MCU > Solo

EG > SW9?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

5 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Really makes you realise just how huge Avatar was in Europe. So much potential market to gain for Endgame, though it won't touch Avatar in many countries listed still.

Europe has turned away from 3D even more than the U.S.  I wonder if even Avatar Underwater Edition can reverse that.

EG's ability to hit $300 million depends on the % occupancy for all seats available. Some quick VERY rough estimates.

4500 (theaters) x $9 (per ticket) x 250 (average seats per theater)x 10 (Thursday showings average per theater)=$101 million (thursday ROUGH total seats available)

For Thursday:

80%=$81 mill

75%=$76 million

70%=$71 million

65%=$66 million

60%=$61 million

For Friday-Sunday the showings probably go up to around 15 per theater (average)

So....that's $151 million if all tickets are sold.

70%=$106 million.

65%=$98 million

60%=$90 million

Sunday and Friday will be a bit lower than Saturday so reasonable numbers may look like...

Thursday: $60-$65 million

Friday: $70-$75 million

Saturday $85-$90 million

Sunday: $70-$80 million (I've spoken to a LOT of people who either had to "wait" until Sunday or just can't even land a ticket on Sunday).

Now, my estimates for numbers of seats, price, and numbers of theaters may be off but not by a horrible amount.

$60 + $70 + $85 +$70=$285 million

$65+ $75 + $90 + $80=$310 million.

Average=$297.5 million

People who now say that $300 million is impossible don't understand what is happening.

• Thanks 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Europe has turned away from 3D even more than the U.S.  I wonder if even Avatar Underwater Edition can reverse that.

Not all, I believe Germany still loves its 3D. 

Also doesn't help that most 3D nowadays is dogshit post digital processes. 

When you make a film with 3D in mind from the beginning, the output turns out differently. I reckon A:UE has the chance to do just that, or at the very least bring some groundbreaking tech that nobody should particularly care about, but it will be marketed by Disney, so everybody will care about it.

• Like 2