Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

17 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Avatar ain't making 3 billion. Hell, I think it'll come in under Avatar both domestic and worldwide. I was thinking of making a club, but can you make a club for a movie that far away? I forget the rules.

Have to admit something though, people's attitude toward Avatar 2 over the years has slowly change from "that movie's gonna flop, won't even make 1B, it's completely irrelevant" to " Its not making 3 Billion, it will likely come under the Avatar WW!".

I followed Avatar's run fairly thoroughly, and have always kept an eye on box office discussions ever since, I'm not making this up. In the extremely unfortunate event that Avatar 2 only makes 2.5B worldwide, people will likely celebrate how correct they are, without realizing how far the goal post has been moved from initial targets...

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Avatar ain't making 3 billion. Hell, I think it'll come in under Avatar both domestic and worldwide. I was thinking of making a club, but can you make a club for a movie that far away? I forget the rules.

Lol. Jb. You keep forgetting avtr in 60-70% less theaters ww than end game plus a 18- 30% or more increase in ticket prices up domestically and Os and end game may still lose by 800mil. Lol you of all people should never doubt James Cameron. Hes likely to pull the 3peat worldbreaker my friend. You have comic movies and you simply have to have a whole new measurement  of box office when james gets a billion plus to expand on Pandora.

Folks want that movie experience for the ages and only Jc can deliver it.

Btw Now there's 2 challenges for the domestic crown. Love it.

Will Avengers or Avtr2 get there. Wowsers!!

Just now, Sheldon Cr said:

Lol. Jb. You keep forgetting avtr in 60-70% less theaters ww than end game plus a 18- 30% or more increase in ticket prices up domestically and Os and end game may still lose by 800mil. Lol you of all people should never doubt James Cameron. Hes likely to pull the 3peat worldbreaker my friend. You have comic movies and you simply have to have a whole new measurement  of box office when james gets a billion plus to expand on Pandora.

Folks want that movie experience for the ages and only Jc can deliver it.

Btw Now there's 2 challenges for the domestic crown. Love it.

Will Avengers or Avtr2 get there. Wowsers!!

@Kalel009Shel is that you?

Just now, NCsoft said:

Have to admit something though, people's attitude toward Avatar 2 over the years has slowly change from "that movie's gonna flop, won't even make 1B, it's completely irrelevant" to " Its not making 3 Billion, it will likely come under the Avatar WW!".

I followed Avatar's run fairly thoroughly, and have always kept an eye on box office discussions ever since, I'm not making this up. In the extremely unfortunate even that Avatar 2 only makes 2.5B worldwide, people will likely celebrate how correct they are, without realizing how far the goal post has been moved from initially targets...

I'm not sure about people saying it's going to flop. I don't know, I have't seen that for myself anyway. That's obviously ludicrous though. It'll be the most hyped film next year pretty handily and it will bring a ton of the worldwide audience back. I just don't think it's agiven it will exceed what the original did. Everything really rests on the second one. If that one tells a story that audiences dig and want to continue, THEN I can see the following sequels start doing something unimaginable.

A trailer will obviously help to get a sense of this as well, but my bet is on it falling short of the first one, both domestic and worldwide.

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The success of the MCU in the last 15 months is kinda puzzling.

What in the fuck really.

Love U Ant-Man still.

When your subsidiary releases 5 movies in 15 months and they outgross:  

the 8 movie Harry Potter series

the (currently) 8 movie Skywalker Saga 

All of Bond

All of Middle Earth

Their own first 10 movies  

and fucking every single full year for a full on studio, ever. Disney 2016 holds the record for now with 7.6, and it will get topped by the BP->IW->AM2->CM->EG run  

I never put this together before, what the actual shit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 7

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

It is common knowledge that this is Kal, yes.

Lmao. Didn’t know that.

As you can see, I’m not well-versed on the catalogue of Cameronites.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I followed Avatar's run fairly thoroughly, and have always kept an eye on box office discussions ever since, I'm not making this up. In the extremely unfortunate event that Avatar 2 only makes 2.5B worldwide, people will likely celebrate how correct they are, without realizing how far the goal post has been moved from initial targets...

It might make $1B from China alone. The rest depends on other territories. 3D isn't a fad anymore in many places. It's up to that movie if* it causes another 3D resurgence. Though it's funny how many people on Twitter (under those news tweets about Endgame's OW) want Endgame to get to $3B. They really don't like Avatar having that crown 😂

Edited by sahmeelg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm not sure about people saying it's going to flop. I don't know, I have't seen that for myself anyway. That's obviously ludicrous though.

I don't think people have been saying that as much since 2017, especially after we've got more concrete news about its production and release, but before then, that sentiment was very very common.

Next year is pretty much a bore all the way up to December, the highest grossing films would probably gross not much over 1B (Wonder Woman, Minions 2, Mulan, Furious 9, Bond 25), that will create a year long build up for Avatar, with a December that has little competition, I think these factors will play in Avatar 2's favour.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Bernard Hill, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Emma Watson and Martin Freeman are I think the only actors who've played different roles in different billion-dollar grossers. Laura Dern also if you count the Jurassic Park re-release.

Also Vin Diesel, Hugo Weaving, Tyrese Gibson, John Rhys-Davies (if you count his short voice role in Aquaman), and Djimon Hounsou (Aquaman voice role + Korath cameo in CM). If you count animated films too, you can also throw in Josh Gad, Julie Andrews(!), Idris Elba, Alan Tudyk and John Ratzenberger (between on-camera and animation voices, the latter three have each played a different role in THREE billion-dollar grossers).

Edited by TServo2049

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Catch ' Em all !

D5QMTL8UIAA9EqI.jpg:large

This works much, much, better than a conglomeration of 17 movie posters has any right to (yes, 17. 5 are missing. Identify them without looking up any posters, if you dare).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Could I get your own personal prediction for Monday based on those numbers? What kind of a drop do you expect? (Your educated guess. Obviously you don't have the time stone and don't know any concrete numbers)

for now I'd just go with something around AIW mon drop, so 30-32m

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 2

34 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Im wondering if endgame can challenge the FA domestic crown. This sucker needs a 2.7-2.8 multi to get it. Oh my???

Avengers Assemble!!

💪💪💪

Hold up a sec, are you talking about first admissions? It would need like a 3.2x multi to challenge Titanic first run adjusted, and even then it would be far off because of 3D/PLF. If Titanic even is the actual first run admission champ. But I mean, a 3.2x multi is still crazy low for Titanic adjusted numbers when you really let it sink in. 

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm not sure about people saying it's going to flop. I don't know, I have't seen that for myself anyway. That's obviously ludicrous though. It'll be the most hyped film next year pretty handily and it will bring a ton of the worldwide audience back. I just don't think it's agiven it will exceed what the original did. Everything really rests on the second one. If that one tells a story that audiences dig and want to continue, THEN I can see the following sequels start doing something unimaginable.

A trailer will obviously help to get a sense of this as well, but my bet is on it falling short of the first one, both domestic and worldwide.

I'm saying under 400 DOM, tried to make a club but forgot the movie needs to be less than a year out. 

34 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

It might make $1B from China alone. The rest depends on other territories. 3D isn't a fad anymore in many places. It's up to that movie if* it causes another 3D resurgence. Though it's funny how many people on Twitter (under those news tweets about Endgame's OW) want Endgame to get to $3B. They really don't like Avatar having that crown 😂

I think the overwhelming majority of people who are rooting for EG to make $3B have nothing against Avatar whatsoever.  They just like the MCU and like being part of big events and milestones.  You could probably collect all the people in the entire world who actively dislike the fact that Avatar is the current all time Boxoffice champ inside a large High School football stadium.

Edited by andrewgr
typo