sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

7 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

To me, Thanos is not sympathetic or an “anti-hero.” What he is, though, is a villain who clearly believes himself the hero of his own story and acts it. That is really hard to do well.

For example, I don’t know if we’re supposed to believe that what he thinks is love for Gamora truly is. We would not consider killing oud adopted daughter against her will to be an act of love. People who complain about Gamora’s death say we’re supposed to sympathize with Thanos, but I never get that impression watching the movie. The impression I get is that his moral compass is utterly warped, but he at least has one in his own mind.

I disagree. I think he is an anti-hero, because his plan was not borne of nefarious intentions in Infinity War. He really believed that he was serving the universe and that all beings would benefit from population reduction to the point where poverty and other problems that ensue from densely populated areas would end. He killed Gamora for what he viewed as a higher purpose and it was not easy for him. The fact that Gamora didn’t realize he loved her until the stone keeper told her, makes him a tragic figure. He loved, but he was so driven by his purpose that he didn’t show it. 

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

Exactly, IW doesn't ask the viewer to sympathize with Thanos at all. Giving him his arc is about making him that much better of a villain, not about making you root for him

I don’t think we are meant to root for Thanos, just like Star Wars fans aren’t meant to root for Vader. Thanos is a nuanced character. He isn’t a villain in the traditional sense, wherein the purpose would be annihilating everything unless they served him. After all, Endgame shows what happened to the stones. It isn’t what a typical villain would have done with them. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

To me, Thanos is not sympathetic or an “anti-hero.” What he is, though, is a villain who clearly believes himself the hero of his own story and acts it. That is really hard to do well. Think of the MCU’s weaker villains, like Malekith or Ronan, and how easy it is to write this kind of stuff badly.

For example, I don’t know if we’re supposed to believe that what he thinks is love for Gamora truly is. We would not consider killing our adopted daughter against her will to be an act of love. People who complain about Gamora’s death say we’re supposed to sympathize with Thanos, but I never get that impression watching the movie. The impression I get is that his ethics are utterly warped, but he at least has them in his own mind.

Infinity War works very hard to give him different layers and actual characterisation because his actions in the film are so horrific you don't need to work very hard to make him menacing and scary so the Russos and M&M focused elsewhere with the character. They knew the "evil" aspect of Thanos was gonna take care of itself. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

They're awesome for different reasons. I personally prefer Endgame after watching it a 2nd time but definitely can understand why someone would prefer Infinity War. They do legit feel like two different films which you often can't say for two sequels that were filmed back to back.

My frustrations with Infinity War will never go away but there is no way I can pretend it's not one of my favorite MCU films. Like Ladyhawk said Thanos is incredible, specially Brolin too. For me the distinction between which I prefer is easy because one ending I liked, the other I hated. This often happens in 2 part movies and to me Infinity War from the second it ended was always a part 1 film. They didn't write Infinity War until they knew how End Game was going to end. It was the one they had to figure out to make to set up the finale.

I need to watch both together, I suspect I will greatly appreciate IW more watching it with EG. Once I find 5.5 hours of free time I shall do so.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t think we are meant to root for Thanos, just like Star Wars fans aren’t meant to root for Vader. Thanos is a nuanced character. He isn’t a villain in the traditional sense, wherein the purpose would be annihilating everything unless they served him. After all, Endgame shows what happened to the stones. It isn’t what a typical villain would have done with them. 

To me I feel like they make Thanos seem more altruistic in IW. In EG you see his true colors and it's glorious. Makes me dislike his character more but it's more believable. 

• Like 1

As far as IW vs EG I'm conflicted, IW is just such a rush of excitement with the nonstop action and Thanos is such an imposing force throughout the entire film...but Endgame is a great and unique finale and has a lot more emotional moments. In the end it comes down to the fact that certain scenes in Endgame were just more impactful than any scene of IW for me, so I put Endgame first

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Streaming content is the biggest source of revenue for a company like Disney, 

Revenu last year for disney:

Media network: 24.5 b

Parks: 20.3b

Studio ent: 10b

consumer product-interactive media: 4.65b

And they just expended their world media footprint by a lot and spent 70B on it buying Fox. Studios will try really hard for every dollar getting away from the 200 billion paid TV business to shift it and still make it over the top streaming (by distributing internet themselve or using that saving on their advantage), people will most likely pay the same if not more in most market than before when you consider their Internet service cost.

They can raise the price also I imagine.

Disney can use Disney+ to advertise for the other products (free advertisement for parks) and same goes for Amazon Prime. Netflix can sure but the backlash has been more severe each time. It's probably why it's so easy to get it for less now. They are burning through cash really fast.

For me in Dallas Fort Worth I was paying $157 for awful cable TV. Now I pay $50 with tax and basically nothing else. Many pay a lot less than me that's for 150mb internet. 

Avengers Endgame: Countdowns

Pass Avengers' Infinity War Domestic total $678,815,482-$0

Pass Avatar's Domestic total $760,507,625-$37,007,887

Pass Star Wars-Force Awakens' $936,662,225-$213,162,226

Pass Titanic Worldwide 2,187,463,944-$0

Pass Avatar's Worldwide total $2,787,965,087-$302,465,088

Pass Avatar's OS total $2,027,457,462-$265,457,463

Pass Avatar's in South Korea Admissions 13,624,328-824,655

Pass 80M USD in Brazil-$7.5M

Pass 100M in Local Currency AustraliaAUD 25.24M  

Pass 100M GBP in UK-£19.4M

Pass $500M in China(First Hollywood movie)- $0

AEG joined the rarefied air of the $700M club, along side BP, Avatar and SW7.  In doing so, it also became the biggest SH movie domestically surpassing BP's 700M+ and IW's $678M, such a dominating performance. 3rd weekend was the 4th biggest 3rd weekend ever behind SW7, Avatar and BP.

OS added 102.3M, total is up to $1.762B. Only $265M away from Avatar OS but it's going to need tremendous late legs to be able to beat it. Right now, it looks to finish around $1.95+B but I won't rule out 2B OS just yet. It remains 2nd biggest OS, behind Avatar. 

WW, it remains number 2 about $302.4M away from passing Avatar for WW crown. Which is on the table, it just needs to stabilize legs next few wks domestically plus MD weekend will help it reach $870M+. I still wouldn't rule out $900M just yet and add in $1.95B OS and you have $2.8B+ WW!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

So Avengers won DOM but Pikachu won OS.

IDK why some people are declaring Pikachu a bomb not a single headline is calling it that. Every headline says it had a solid opening weekend.

Nobody calling it a bomb 

its a bomb to people’s expectations that were predicted last 6 months 

give it a week and it will past by and movie will do fine 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I was kinda sad about detective pikachu underperforming but my year is made with Toronto raptors tonight 

what a mood booster 

fuck Kawhi Leonard

feel bad for the 76ers. 

GO BUCKS

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I was kinda sad about detective pikachu underperforming but my year is made with Toronto raptors tonight 

what a mood booster 

Honestly I see this as similar to Iron Man. Solid debut but was mocked by many for not making as much as TDK did. Pokemon Cinematic Universe is happening and the only way to go from here is up. And at least the sequel will not have to compete with the 2nd highest grossing film of all time.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Honestly I see this as similar to Iron Man. Solid debut but was mocked by many for not making as much as TDK did. Pokemon Cinematic Universe is happening and the only way to go from here is up. And at least the sequel will not have to compete with the 2nd highest grossing film of all time.

Iron Man opened to literally 98 million in fucking 2008 no less. Good god man this is not the same at all.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

lol what? Iron Man was a massive success from OD and everybody knew that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Those were not real box office aficionado's if they were mocking IM for that or expecting it to beat TDK to the domestic crown in the first place. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

fuck Kawhi Leonard

feel bad for the 76ers. 

GO BUCKS

Sixers are most cocky team. Happy raptors took them out even better in that sequence 

how do you hate on Kawhi  unless ur spurs fan lol. Dude is so humble 

• Like 1