sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

2 hours ago, Sam said:

Countdown for Endgame

Reaching 900M domestic: Not gonna happen

Countdown for Pika’s OW

Reaching 300M OW: 280M to go

Overall, this weekend thread is going great. 

I think Pikachu can make it, it just needs to have a 150M Saturday and it should be okay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, youcantseemyname said:

Starting to think EG's late legs are gonna be non-existent

Agreed. It is losing steam way too fast. I hope the U.S final result can push it past Avatar worldwide. It was the , not so great after a record ow, U.S result that prevented IW from passing TFA worldwide, I hope we don’t have a repeat here. 

4 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Spidey may help. People may wanna watch them back to back in fact

Endgame won't be in enough theaters by then. Unlike Captain Marvel which only had like 4 big (3,500+ theaters) releases, Endgame will have way more by the time FFH releases which means fewer cinemas. FFH is also a few more weeks further away than CM was to Endgame.

• Like 1

I predicted a 2.5x for Endgame on OW and I still thought that sounded too weak.  Now it seems like it might not even get there.  I think a lot of people really overestimated how well this would play after OW, especially when so much demand is burnt off in such a short span of time.

None of this is to say that Endgame is having a bad run, because it isn’t (it’s having a phenomenal run, no way around that).  But I think it was a bit ridiculous to assume that the movie would have close to a 3x and hit a billion just because it was beloved by audiences.  This is still a movie with a huge built in audience of fanboys, and it still has a ceiling on what its legs can be.  The fact that it’s going to increase nearly 200M from Infinity War domestically should be seen as an achievement on its own.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

If a movie that actually had buzz like DP is underperforming like this OS, I can’t even imagine how ‘good’ SW9 will do in December. ⚰️

A comparison that makes zero sense.

SW9 is gonna drop from TLJ overseas. But Detective Pikachu's performance has no correlation with Star Wars

Edited by darthdevidem01

19 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Agreed. It is losing steam way too fast. I hope the U.S final result can push it past Avatar worldwide. It was the , not so great after a record ow, U.S result that prevented IW from passing TFA worldwide, I hope we don’t have a repeat here. 

If it makes you happy, the only reason IW had a "not so great result" (by that I mean it became the 4th highest grossing film ever DOM at the time, but whatever) is because it had something called Deadpool 2 opening in its 4th weekend. Aka direct superhero competition. It still had one of the best multipliers for an MCU sequel. What the hell is your deal that IW had a bad performance post-OW?

EG, if it doesn't have super strong late legs, is simply because the upfront demand was so out of this world that it simply could not hold on to it as strongly. We have never seen anything like it. IW still had the Snap factor that brought in a brand new audience to the MCU, even after the record breaking opening. This is the culmination to all of that that yet again skewed heavily towards fan rush, so it should be less surprising. This isn't December, this is still fucking May.... no Summer weekdays, schools still in. Why the hell would it not beating Avatar be in any way disappointing when its result will be close to a billion higher than its predecessor and previous highest grossing superhero film ever? And also, there's about a 5% chance at best that EG doesn't pass Avatar WW anyway. Captain Marvel made 1.1 billion starting from a similar WW OW number to EG's 2nd weekend WW number, but EG couldn't add 600M to its gross post-2nd weekend? Even BVS added 400+ to its WW OW, and BVS was brutally divisive and frontloaded, and even went sub-2x DOM. EG will likely sit at 2.5B by the end of this weekend. Somewhere by June, it will beat Avatar. Your concern trolling is shallow.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If it makes you happy, the only reason IW had a "not so great result" (by that I mean it became the 4th highest grossing film ever DOM at the time, but whatever) is because it had something called Deadpool 2 opening in its 4th weekend. Aka direct superhero competition. It still had one of the best multipliers for an MCU sequel. What the hell is your deal that IW had a bad performance post-OW?

EG, if it doesn't have super strong late legs, is simply because the upfront demand was so out of this world that it simply could not hold on to it as strongly. We have never seen anything like it. IW still had the Snap factor that brought in a brand new audience to the MCU, even after the record breaking opening. This is the culmination to all of that that yet again skewed heavily towards fan rush, so it should be less surprising. This isn't December, this is still fucking May.... no Summer weekdays, schools still in. Why the hell would it not beating Avatar be in any way disappointing when its result will be close to a billion higher than its predecessor and previous highest grossing superhero film ever? And also, there's about a 5% chance at best that EG doesn't pass Avatar WW anyway. Captain Marvel made 1.1 billion starting from a similar WW OW number to EG's 2nd weekend WW number, but EG couldn't add 600M to its gross post-2nd weekend? Even BVS added 400+ to its WW OW, and BVS was brutally divisive and frontloaded, and even went sub-2x DOM. EG will likely sit at 2.5B by the end of this weekend. Somewhere by June, it will beat Avatar. Your concern trolling is shallow.

My deal is that IW broke the ow record and couldn’t even reach 700 million after that in the U.S, it is all relevant. The rest of your post, whatever....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

My deal is that IW broke the ow record and couldn’t even reach 700 million after that in the U.S, it is all relevant. The rest of your post, whatever....

And you said that implying that meant the result was "not so great" which it isn't

• Like 1

Just now, Curtis1986 said:

So I guess detective Pikachu is to solo of this year

275 million dollar budget and 392 million gross ?

how will Detective pikachu flop like that with a 150 million dollar budget 

Movie won’t even be a flop.

dumbo is a much bigger gross to budget ratio 

170 million and 339 million 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

So I guess detective Pikachu is to solo of this year

solo is a movie that if someone told you about 10 years ago you would have thought was a no doubt $1 billion dollar movie. 

This is doing much better than I thought and I am a Pokémon fan. fandoms make bubbles where you think everyone is into something or knows about films like this but most people don't. I just asks my moms about a film to see if she even knows about it to see how high the GA interest actually is and she had no idea this movie was coming. 

• Like 1