sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Has Marvel offered any clues or anyone else any clues about a potential next Avengers film? I mean I would assume you can still have another future Avengers just without a few of the current characters, but new ones would come along or current ones take a bigger role.

Maybe they let it cool down for 4-5 years?

1 hour ago, IceFire9yt said:

At least it looks like Endgame's competition (Pika+JW3+Alladin) turned out to be no worse than IW's (DP2+Solo), perhaps a bit better even.

Deadpool was a 125M opener, and a superhero movie.  Solo also competed for the same franchise audience.  Honestly, having these movies all open so close to each other was a boneheaded move.

Pika ended up being much more of a family movie than originally thought, and opened lower than expectations to boot.  John Wick is overperforming, but isn't that direct of competition and is still going to have relatively modest opening (though it looks like it will kick EG out of Imax screens).  Alladin looks like it'll easily open below Solo, and won't be as direct competition as Solo either.

The downside for Endgame is that it got competition sooner (though keeping Imax screens this weekend was a big win).  The upshot is that it'll be the only movie 'in its lane' going into Memorial day, while IW arguably had two other movies in the same lane as it, and those movies were much bigger openers than the movies that Endgame is facing.

EG is such a big event that every demo in the market is their audience, this make virtually every tentpole film come out will be its direct competition.  

In the post memorial weekend, IW had almost nothing big, while EG need to deal with Godzilla+Rocketman combo. In the following week, IW had Ocean 8 which were a modest hit but EG needs to battle two front with own genre, Dark Pheonix and huge family IP- SLOP 2 

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

EG is such a big event that every demo in the market is their audience, this make virtually every tentpole film come out will be its direct competition.  

In the post memorial weekend, IW had almost nothing big, while EG need to deal with Godzilla+Rocketman combo. In the following week, IW had Ocean 8 which were a modest hit but EG needs to battle two front with own genre, Dark Pheonix and huge family IP- SLOP 2 

I mean, yeah, all competition is competition, I'm not trying to say that Pika, JW3, and Aladdin are going to have no impact on EG.  But some competition is more competitive than others.  If there was a CBM opening soon after its release (as with IW), EG would be in a significantly worse spot than it is with Pika and Aladdin.

Edited by IceFire9yt

46 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Agreed.  EG was probably the best shot at 1B off that OW. North America is probably 7-10 years away from a $1B movie while China is probably less than 5 years. 

Not if cny goes to 7.5 to 1 instead of 6.75

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Admittedly... Pika was not for me. Don't think it will play well to families either. Young adults is its market.

Thats what I figured. I expect it to drop off hard.

60/150 give or take.

Edited by cdsacken

Ugh. $16M is a little less than a 115% increase for EG. Even taking into account Detective Pikachu - which isn't exactly doing gangbusters either - that's a lame increase. At this point I'm just going to expect something like this:

Friday: $16.0M

Saturday: $24.8M

Sunday: $17.4M

Total: $58.2M

Yikes.

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Ugh. $16M is a little less than a 115% increase for EG. Even taking into account Detective Pikachu - which isn't exactly doing gangbusters either - that's a lame increase. At this point I'm just going to expect something like this:

Friday: $16.0M

Saturday: $24.8M

Sunday: $17.4M

Total: $58.2M

Yikes.

Gimme