sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Didn't want to spam the thread as it goes up and down, but I do want to note that Pika Pika has staged a mini-recovery over at RT and is now at 64 (5.91/10) at 188 reviews.

It might just stave off the Video Game Curse after all. 👍

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Didn't want to spam the thread as it goes up and down, but I do want to note that Pika Pika has staged a mini-recovery over at RT and is now at 64 (5.91/10) at 188 reviews.

It might just stave off the Video Game Curse after all. 👍

In terms of quality, Pikachu has already broken the curse for me. We'll see how close it gets to breaking the curse box office-wise.

• Like 1

Cinemascore is a sham,

who would have thought people who go to see a Pokemon movies on the opening day may love everything about a film with Pikachu in it

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cinemascore is a sham,

who would have thought people who go to see a Pokemon movies may love everything above a film with Pikachu in it

no Cinemascore is not a sham everyone knows a A- on franchise film is simply average, A is good, A+ is well the best

• Like 4

I must admit, I caught up in the first Hype around Pikachu and originally predicted huge numbers, but in the last few weeks I've dialed back on that. And These numbers Show that I did good in doing so. But like @baumer said earlier, $50-60m OW for a Video game/family film like Detective Pikachu is solid (though I'm still wondering why Warner Bros. spend 150m on this film).

As for Endgame, I'm not surprised that it's gonna end up with Age of Ultron legs. No matter how massive Marvel's fanbase might be at this point, it's still the 22nd movie in a giant franchise that includes tons and tons of references to those other films. It's gonna have a limited audience (even though that limit is obviously incredibly huge). Overall, Endgame has destroyed every prediction by a mile and it also has defied historical trends (Sequels to mega hits always decreasing). That alone is a huge accomplishment and a testament to Marvel's incredible work building this world over the past decade.

20 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no Cinemascore is not a sham everyone knows a A- on franchise film is simply average, A is good, A+ is well the best

Yep. To use Cinemascore you have to understand Cinemascore. Even a B+ could be considered a disaster.

An A- Isn’t great.

I'm frankly amazed there are THIS many people (apparently) who are actually caught up with Marvel films enough to be that excited about Endgame. That's truly remarkable. I mean, 22 films is an astonishing amount and to be frank, if you missed any of them, you probably missed at least a few references in Endgame. I do know a guy who had basically missed the pop culture train and only seen 4 or 5 Marvel films, then he saw Endgame (?!) and really loved it, so he decided to go watch all of the films in the "order of timeline" or whatever you'd call that, and he's working his way through them. 

I actually kind of wanted to re-watch them all but it seems like such a daunting task, I mean even at one per night, I'm signing up for 3 weeks of Marvel movies and probably no time to watch anything new / anything I haven't seen before. It sounds like a ton of fun, though, I'd really like to do that one day. I remember back in the day rewatching every Star Wars movie was a half-day or basically a night thing, you could start at 6 p.m. and finish by 2 a.m. even with a meal break and some bathroom breaks, no problem. Now, even that has become impossible to complete in a day haha.

• Like 6

Countdown for Endgame

Reaching 900M domestic: Not gonna happen

Countdown for Pika’s OW

Reaching 300M OW: 280M to go

Overall, this weekend thread is going great. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm frankly amazed there are THIS many people (apparently) who are actually caught up with Marvel films enough to be that excited about Endgame. That's truly remarkable. I mean, 22 films is an astonishing amount and to be frank, if you missed any of them, you probably missed at least a few references in Endgame. I do know a guy who had basically missed the pop culture train and only seen 4 or 5 Marvel films, then he saw Endgame (?!) and really loved it, so he decided to go watch all of the films in the "order of timeline" or whatever you'd call that, and he's working his way through them. 

I actually kind of wanted to re-watch them all but it seems like such a daunting task, I mean even at one per night, I'm signing up for 3 weeks of Marvel movies and probably no time to watch anything new / anything I haven't seen before. It sounds like a ton of fun, though, I'd really like to do that one day. I remember back in the day rewatching every Star Wars movie was a half-day or basically a night thing, you could start at 6 p.m. and finish by 2 a.m. even with a meal break and some bathroom breaks, no problem. Now, even that has become impossible to complete in a day haha.

A lot of people wanted to watch Endgame (even when they had not seen many MCU movies) just to be a part of pop-culture phenomenon that was happening around them. This prompted lot of folks to just watch all MCU movies from 2008. Same thing happened with GOT as well when the trailer for 8th season dropped and lot of people binge watched the 1st seven.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What would have you preffered?

307 OW to 850-870, or

357 to 850-870

Even though the studio makes more money from the 2nd option, I prefer the 1st one. There's just something surreal with a leggy B.O run. It doesn't mean the 2nd option is bad though, it's still mighty impressive.

Ultron legs for a 357M opening film is a performance still heads and shoulders more impressive than that of a huge amount of films with way smaller openings :ph34r:

If anything, it makes me wonder how would Endgame perform if it came out in December. It probably wouldn't hit 357 opening (more like 280-300), but it would probably make 1B DOM in return.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What would have you preffered?

307 OW to 850-870, or

357 to 850-870

pro distributors POV, aka what ppl ask, like made the movie money enough a next part is possible or considered a success or... (general speaking), the 2nd one, as they get a higher split for that in the US, depending on the details in the contracts between distributors and cinema chain / booking partner and so on.