sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

7 minutes ago, tawasal said:

@Porthos Your avatar is giving me headache, trying to figure out what it's supposed to be. 

5 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

same with @YourMother the Edgelord but his avatar is something i recognize, but i can't put my finger on exactly what. I feel like i seen this character before but not sure where.

star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-0

Keri Russell (as pictured in Vanity Fair) for The Rise of Skywalker. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Of course not all of them, that's crazy but all I am saying is that studios yend to follow the leader. Is it such a coincidence that once the MCU did big, every studio tried their own Cinematic Universe?

And they failed and that's still not that "fault" of Disney.

Studios have been doing re-makes and sequels and re-mining the same material since before talkies   It's all about the IP and $.  It's why we're still getting Robin Hood, Tarzan and King Arthur movies.  We just had our FOURTH A Star Is Born last year and that doesn't even count the movie ASIB riffed on or the riffs on it like The Artist

• Like 2

i personally think avatars that you are sure you seen it before but not sure where is more frustrating than just not knowing at all.

It is like searching songs on Youtube for songs that you heard before and thought it was catchy but you vaguely remember parts of the lyrics.

• Like 1

Just now, tawasal said:

Golden Globes nominated The Martian as a Comedy. They are weird sometimes. 

Mad Max and Black Panther were also nominated as dramas. It's what happens when pure genre movies that don't fit their usual boxes are in the awards conversation.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Of course not all of them, that's crazy but all I am saying is that studios yend to follow the leader. Is it such a coincidence that once the MCU did big, every studio tried their own Cinematic Universe?

The way you have to look at it is, no matter how they're doing it, they're the ones bringing in most of the revenue at the box office. We can't just assume that if Disney weren't doing what they're doing that other studios' films would pick up the slack.

Disposable income for everyone outside the upper class is shrinking all the time as the wealth gets more and more unevenly distributed, and movie-going has been one of the prime casualties. This means that most people are going to be selective with what they see and right now, like it or not, Disney is offering most people's first choice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, comedies are just in a rut right now. The three highest grossing comedies of last year were Crazy Rich Asians, Green Book, and Night School, and only the last one was actually a full-on comedy. The last non-sequel comedy to make over $100M was...Girls Trip, from almost two years ago. Definitely a turn of events from earlier this decade when R-rated comedies were all the rage.

I like CRA but I don't know if I like to see the CRA sequel. Ever since that Constance Wu diva moment, I now see her in a completely different light. Like she completely became an evil witch in my eyes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

You know what, this movie has made it to the 200% must see category, now that I realise 

Elizabeth Jennings is in it. 

Ooh I love her. 

• Like 1

Disney should start animating their live action films like the Straight Story and D2 the Mighty Ducks once they run out of animated films to adapt into live action

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Mad Max and Black Panther were also nominated as dramas. It's what happens when pure genre movies that don't fit their usual boxes are in the awards conversation.

Why don't they just make action/sci-fi category. 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's a great photo by Lebowitz and a cool design but covering up Kari Russell's most distinct feature - her hair- seems an odd choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Disney should start animating their live action films like the Straight Story and D2 the Mighty Ducks once they run out of animated films to adapt into live action

they can do The Pacifier animated only if Vin Diesel returns

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Can't wait to see Max Keeble's Big Move: The Cartoon

It's fair to say that every studio is trying to dredge up IP from the past seeing as how difficult it as been for studios to launch new franchises in the last 5 years. The problem is with Disney focusing exclusively on tentpole films you are leaving little room for other films. I think that's partly why Pixar has gotten so much flack for the amount of sequels its been doing this decade since it was one of the few branches of Disney that was doing original content (and thankfully is going back to that after Toy Story 4). And look I love the MCU so I'm not gonna lie and pretend I don't love the possibility of having multiple MCU films reaching $1 Billion in a year but I do understand how that affects other studios and their films. 

IMO though we all knew this year was gonna be Disney dominance at its peak.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 5