sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The OGs comp

BaTB: 145 + 190: 335

Aladdin: 217 + 286: 503

Yeah the box office was definitely bigger for the animated Aladdin. 

I mean either way you're right: Disney fucked up the marketing for Aladdin. Looks like they had a crowd pleaser on their hands that did anything but before it was actually released in theatres. 

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You think so? I always got the feeling BatB was bigger than Aladdin. Might just be anecdotal though.

Even then Aladdin is not half of BATB. Successful movie going by early numbers but a lot of money is left on the table. TLK will be exciting run to follow now tho.

Good for Aladdin. This movie has been bashed and underestimated to death in this forum. It's like there are many here who are wishing for that movie to flop. Glad that Aladdin is going the opposite way.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Good for Aladdin. This movie has been bashed and underestimated to death in this forum. It's like there are many here who are wishing for that movie to flop. Glad that Aladdin is going the opposite way.

Between Pikachu and this, large portion of the forum clearly bet on the wrong nostalgia horse. Oh well.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You think so? I always got the feeling BatB was bigger than Aladdin. Might just be anecdotal though.

25 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The OGs comp

BaTB: 145 + 190: 335

Aladdin: 217 + 286: 503

I think @JB33 meant bigger as in "made a bigger impact", and that could be true at some point, since BATB was the first animated movie ever to be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscar (at that moment, Best Animated Movie award was not in the schedule).

But anyway I think TLK was the biggest of them all, followed by Aladdin, and then BATB-Little Mermaid imo. 

18 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

They probably should of judging from the praises Naomi Scott is getting.

Yeah, I was only like 20% joking there. She’s the best part, and I think critics might have been nicer if it had more of a new twist vs being a pretty straightforward copy.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Between Pikachu and this, large portion of the forum clearly bet on the wrong nostalgia horse. Oh well.

i have no idea if I ever said it in so many words, but I have long thought that the absolute funniest thing that could happen this May was if Aladdin over-performed relative to this board's expectations after Pika Pika under-performed relative to this board's expectations.

This isn't the same as finding funny that Pika Pika under-performed. Frankly, I'm kinda sad for the folks who liked it/wanted it to do very well/better than it's doing.

But finding it funny that the board's collective whipping boy film seems to be doing better than expected?

giphy.gif

Oh yes.  Very much so.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, I was only like 20% joking there. She’s the best part, and I think critics might have been nicer if it had more of a new twist vs being a pretty straightforward copy.

There are critics dinging it for not being original, but most critical complaints seem more to do with execution.   Change too much and then you lose the nostalgia the audience is looking for.  

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

i have no idea if I ever said it in so many words, but I have long thought that the absolute funniest thing that could happen this May was if Aladdin over-performed relative to this board's expectations after Pika Pika under-performed relative to this board's expectations.

This isn't the same as finding funny that Pika Pika under-performed. Frankly, I'm kinda sad for the folks who liked it/wanted it to do very well/better than it's doing.

But finding it funny that the board's collective whipping boy film seems to be doing better than expected?

giphy.gif

Oh yes.  Very much so.

We all know if Godzilla underperforms (depending on what one's expectations are for it - I've been anticipating a $60-65M opening for weeks now), there will be some crying foul on Disney for sabotaging WB this month (especially after Pikachu failed to "destroy" Endgame).

• Knock It Off 1