sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

You guys are just showing once again at this site that anything that isn't Pixar you guys just shit on LOL illumination has been making hit movies now for more than a decade and sure this sequel is going to drop from the original but the original made piles of money and the budget is low enough on this one that it's not going to matter how much it makes. It's going to be another hit for illumination and I guess there will be salty tears here again.

You have a point. Imagine if we gave the Best Picture BOFFY to a non Pixar animated film!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's going to be another hit for illumination and I guess there will be salty tears here again.

It's going to make around Shazam profit for them. That would be alright if it was the first film of the franchise but considering the steep decline, there is nothing Illumination should be celebrating about. Not a huge hit either way. A moderate hit at best and a dead franchise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Is there any hope that the $2,3m number for Pets is excluding the early access screenings? If not, this looks very bad, as HT3 had $3,9m if yxou include those $1,25m from Prime Previews.

I believe the early access screenings are actually being counted in the Sunday number for some reason

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

not their fault, the slate of wb.uni,sony is very bad this year , save for some of their movies

That's not the point, it's still not a good thing in general, besides a few months ago surefire things like Shazam! and Pets 2 and even US seemed much bigger. Hopefully it may persuade studios to try original content as their sequels tend to not stack up but it's never a good thing no matter how weak the competition is for a studio to control half of the market.

• Like 1

Streaming sites like Netflix & the like make people lazy and jaded and picky.

Good luck to studios to convince them to move their asses to a movie theater in the 2020's and on.

Wall-e got it right I am afraid for the coming decade :

Diabetes : Up

Admissions in movie theaters : Down

Just now, The Futurist said:

Streaming sites like Netflix & the like make people lazy and jaded and picky.

Good luck to studios to convince them to move their asses to a movie theater in the 2020's and on.

Wall-e got it right I am afraid for the coming decade :

Diabetes : Up

Admissions in movie theaters : Down

Lower ticket prices and people might also show up. 

• Like 2

People are losing interest in stuff quicker than ever. The past 3-4 years we've seen sequels to movies as new as less than two years bleeding a significant portion of the audience due to the originals just fading into home video oblivion with no lasting impact once their theatrical runs were over. I'd say studios should be warned but they'll probably just continue to throw stuff out there in hopes something will eventually stick.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, a2k said:

sub-100 dom and sub-80 china means 300 ww is in danger for DARKP. rumoured budget is 200m.

Oh no, now Fox won't make any more X-Men movies.

• Haha 3

Pets 2 is probably going to make a profit, but an over 50% drop from the original would pretty much kill that franchise in its tracks.  Not what Universal would be hoping for.  Also if you’re an investor, that’s not what you want to see from the sequel to a 360m hit.

I’m also doubtful Pets 2 is poised to have strong legs, given it has major competition two weeks from now (and the rest of the summer really).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

People are losing interest in stuff quicker than ever. The past 3-4 years we've seen sequels to movies as new as less than two years bleeding a significant portion of the audience due to the originals just fading into home video oblivion with no lasting impact once their theatrical runs were over. I'd say studios should be warned but they'll probably just continue to throw stuff out there in hopes something will eventually stick.

Eh, I wouldn’t say they’re losing interest quicker than ever.

But it does seem like people might not want a sequel to every hit movie (shocking).

Look at how something like Us performed, pretty huge hit and shows people were willing to go see the Get Out followup.  Disney keeps on chugging with their franchises (even with a few warning shots with Solo and Dumbo, showing audience won’t literally eat anything Disney).

But id say people probably are pickier about what they see given theaters have a lot more home competition than before.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Hoping for Dark Phoenix to go over Pets 2, if only because I said IN to @DAJK's club

Honestly, I’m just glad I don’t have to be embarrassed by that club, given it’s going to be a lot closer than most people thought.

Honestly, the box office is so depressing this year, I have no clue what’s going on. Pretty much everything that isn’t Disney is underperforming, and that is incredibly alarming.

Hoping for something good from 2020 to set us up for a good decade.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week's releases:

Shaft: 1:46. Attachments unknown (likely The Kitchen and Blinded by the Light)

MIB International: 1:46. Attachments unknown (likely Far From Home and maybe Charlie's Angels?)

Short and sweet run times.   I like it