sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

1 hour ago, baumer said:

You guys are just showing once again at this site that anything that isn't Pixar you guys just shit on LOL illumination has been making hit movies now for more than a decade and sure this sequel is going to drop from the original but the original made piles of money and the budget is low enough on this one that it's not going to matter how much it makes. It's going to be another hit for illumination and I guess there will be salty tears here again.

Illumination films account for a huge amount of Universal's profits from films. But yes, I'm sure they're just fine with a potentially 50-60% drop domestically for what they probably figured would be a franchise that could sustain itself at least as well as Despicable Me.

They don't have anything to worry about, just look at how Dreamworks is still a titan of the computer animation industry.

• Like 1

Just now, jedijake said:

I'd say that $300 million domestic for Aladdin is almost a lock. 

imo fully a lock.

27-28 weekend (could do a little better) for 235+ total.

just 65 away from 300. 325 is 50/50 and should now be the talked about target.

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh... unless, you know, you just really like films and cinema lol 

I really like going to the cinema and films, and 100% agree with @Lordmandeep‘s point.

I have a 72 inch TV at my house, hooked up to a nice sound system. My house also has my cats. I can sync up a film with a friend from out-of-state and we can text/gossip about it while we watch without disturbing others. I don’t have to put on pants!

There’s not a lot of reasons not to trek out for non-spectacle films.

If I do, it is probably (1) I like the actress (or it is Chris Evans), (2) I want to support film’s box office run to help reaffirm I want more content like this, or (3) it’s Oscar season.

This is why I totally bemoan losing MoviePass. That hoodwink was AMAZING. I saw everything. I didn’t have to worry about “wasting my $10” on a terrible movie.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I have no idea why Disney choose to cut Aladdin by 671 theaters in 3rd week while a year ago, Solo, which bombed, only cut down by 46 theaters in 3rd week

Simple. Solo's third weekend only had one movie that weekend cross 4,000 theaters, while the other two went sub-3K. The previous weekend also only had one movie even cross 3,000, and didn't sell anything. This weekend has Dark Phoenix at 3,721 theaters and Pets 2 at a staggering 4,561 theaters. Theaters were also forced to hold onto Godzilla with its 4,108 theaters, and Rocketman has 3,610.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Illumination films account for a huge amount of Universal's profits from films. But yes, I'm sure they're just fine with a potentially 50-60% drop domestically for what they probably figured would be a franchise that could sustain itself at least as well as Despicable Me.

They don't have anything to worry about, just look at how Dreamworks is still a titan of the computer animation industry.

I posted in 2016 that Pixar survived Dreamworks in the ‘00s, and they’ll survive Illumination in the ‘10s.

Very similar to the Don Bluth films that were giving Disney a run for their money in the ‘80s.

Edited by Chaz

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

If I do, it is probably (1) I like the actress (or it is Chris Evans), (2) I want to support film’s box office run to help reaffirm I want more content like this, or (3) it’s Oscar season.

Image result for chris evans eyebrow gif

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I really like going to the cinema and films, and 100% agree with @Lordmandeep‘s point.

I have a 72 inch TV at my house, hooked up to a nice sound system. My house also has my cats. I can sync up a film with a friend from out-of-state and we can text/gossip about it while we watch without disturbing others. I don’t have to put on pants!

This is why I totally bemoan losing MoviePass. That hoodwink was AMAZING. I saw everything. I didn’t have to worry about “wasting my $10” on a terrible movie.

Also I really like to go to a film with someone and not on my own.

A film like Endgame, its almost certain someone in your family or your circle of friends will want to watch...

Other movies....a challenge. 

I remember one time I wanted to Watch Catching Fire once and I had to promise my friends to drive to them to a Gentleman's Club after...lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I have a 72 inch TV at my house, hooked up to a nice sound system. My house also has my cats. I can sync up a film with a friend from out-of-state and we can text/gossip about it while we watch without disturbing others. I don’t have to put on pants!

There’s also lots of reasons to go and see the “non spectacle films”. All about taste. 

Texting during a film at home still doesn’t make sense to me lol. If you’re on your phone during a film, or speaking to someone: the film simply isn’t holding your attention. 

Yeh we have Cineworld unlimited and Odeon Limitless here in the UK so we’ve been spoiled for over a decade now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Image result for chris evans eyebrow gif

Can we please fast forward to November where I can get in my daily double features of Lesbian BDE Elsa and Chris Evans telling his family to “eat shit”. It just feels like the perfect #MOOD for Thanksgiving. 😂

12 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

AMC A-List is still really worth it. $20 a month and you can reserve ahead of time and for IMAX/Dolby/etc. They don't get all the indies I want but at least I can see all the bigger films.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There’s also lots of reasons to go and see the “non spectacle films”. All about taste. 

Texting during a film at home still doesn’t make sense to me lol. If you’re on your phone during a film, or speaking to someone: the film simply isn’t holding your attention. 

Yeh we have Cineworld unlimited and Odeon Limitless here in the UK so we’ve been spoiled for over a decade now. 

I watch movies at home at 1.10 speed lol 

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

but why is everybody automatically assuming it's going to drop 50 or 60% from the first film? You guys are just basing this off of it doing half about the preview number was? The first film came out at the very beginning of July when all schools are out. This one is coming out at the beginning of June when all the schools are still in.