Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

14 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

No denying that, I will say that Endgame is the most impressive global run of the 2010's, the second most impressive run of the 21st century.

And the fourth Impressive run worldwide in the last 30 years. 1. Titanic    2.Avatar   3.Jurassic Park   4. Endgame 

JP is not ahead.

Good lord the abuse Avatar fans are going to get when the sequel fails to outgross the original will be so greatly deserved. Keep hoping for 1.5b from China though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

these films did by margin is fault of films before them.

having 101 is bigger than 100 when previous best is 70.

But the global box office market has increased so drastically, by what? got to be 2.5 to 3 folds now compare to 1993? 

this analogy doesn't really fit that well. You could use the same analogy to belittle GWTW.

Jurassic Park revolutionized film Visual effect in the 90s, along with T2, thus influencing many films thereafter in terms of heavily basing themselves on Visual effect/CGI

Box office appreciation without a little historical perspective is boring in a place where most people has at least some fundamental knowledge about box office.The lack of respect JP is receiving is kind of disheartening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If this was true JW would have done 3B. Only missed it by 1.328 billion :hahaha:

One film does not have anything to do with another, this is faulty logic, and you do this a lot, I don't know why.

I'm praising Jurassic Park's box office run, the worldwide/oversea all time crown, not Jurassic world. 

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Why does every thread on this website become EG vs Avatar it's getting very tiresome

If avatar stans didn't CONSTANTLY complain, it wouldn't be brought up

Notice how Titanic is never brought up. Their fans aren't ridiculous and antagonizing. It's #3 now but adjusted the GOAT of the modern era. Nothing needed to debate.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

If avatar stans didn't CONSTANTLY complain, it wouldn't be brought up

Notice how Titanic is never brought up. Their fans aren't ridiculous and antagonizing. It's #3 now but adjusted the GOAT of the modern era. Nothing needed to debate.

It's true, but I think discussion may be better served by simply ignoring them

• Like 5

Potter1's 975 for it's time with Asian markets doing what they did nearly 20 years back and unadjusted in stronger markets too, without premium and 3d screens. No way to extrapolate that really to today's era.

For all the valid arguments about theatres having more competition from avenues like Netflix, who would skip Potter's 1st adaptation in theatres if it were to release today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

and then I'm sure I will reply that ER effect is way smaller than inflation + market expansion, and that whatever ER effect didn't stop top 10 movies worldwide from 2018 grossing 42% higher than 2009, and 76% higher than 2008. But you know, let's not repeat old talking points. 

and i am sure that i will tell you that you repeat the same sentence over and over again regardless of the topic, yea we got it, 42% expansion and 76% whatever bla bla

back to topic, which is weekend numbers.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

No denying that, I will say that Endgame is the most impressive global run of the 2010's, the second most impressive run of the 21st century.

And the fourth Impressive run worldwide in the last 30 years. 1. Titanic    2.Avatar   3.Jurassic Park   4. Endgame 

I have Endgame ahead of Jurassic Park

The 1.25b worldwide opening of EG just completely dwarf what JP had in its run. And, EG just outgrossed JP's adjusted total run including 3D version in 10 days. Even minus out China effect, Endgame is still capable to outgrossed JP's number.   

Above all else, EG just basically illustrate the total capacity of the market in one week, If you had 99% of the worldwide theater showing a movie in almost 90% of screens, with the occupy rate of near 100%. You are going to get 1.25b. 

EG gave the answer of no one else can give about how much theaters around the world can fit in the crowds in a particular week.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3